Schwab transactions not downloading

Brent
Brent Member ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Is anyone having trouble getting Schwab transactions to download? They've come in fine for years, but suddenly at the end of November I could not get them to download at all. After multiple attempts over several separate days I gave up and did them by hand. I just tried again and they still will not download. This will be a nightmare at year end due to a number of mutual funds that will throw off 2-3 distributions each.

Thank you.

Brent

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Brent

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I don't see anything on our end that seems to be popping up so I'm wondering here if you get any error message?  I'm wondering here if we could see if in a test file we get a similar issue. It'll let us know a bit more about the issue.

1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. Depending on what happens we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Brent
    Brent Member ✭✭
    Hi Francisco. I did as you instructed. Quicken searched for and found all my Schwab accounts in the new "test" file. It seemed to download all the transactions okay. I switched back to the regular file, and did a transaction download. I got the same December transactions between both files. I accepted the transactions in the regular file and got the same balances. So it seems to be back on track. However the transactions for November still have never downloaded in the regular file as I would have expected them to. As originally noted I input them by hand but would still expect them to download and have to be matched - would that be correct?

For now, though, it appears to be back on track. I'll keep the test file so I can experiment with it should the issue recur.

Thanks.

Brent
  • wa11ace
    wa11ace Member
    I am having then same problem as Brent. Created a new "test" file as instructed; downloads work fine. Still will not download to existing files.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    expecting the November transactions to download today may be a little too late. Usually, the banks and brokerages provide transaction downloads for 60 - 90 days from today.
    If you hadn't entered the transactions by hand already, I could only suggest to download a QXF file from the website, selecting the desired date range and then trying to import that file into Quicken.
    Just reconcile your investment register month by month to the printed statement and you should be good.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    wa11ace said:
    I am having then same problem as Brent. Created a new "test" file as instructed; downloads work fine. Still will not download to existing files.
    @wa11ace

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review a download log file on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• The phone number can be found at the support website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018+ Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• Brent
    Brent Member ✭✭
    Things have been (relatively) ok since the above - at least Schwab admits most of the issues have been theirs. However a new oddity popped up. My Schwab accounts are now split into two groups. Oddly, one group is the longest-existing account at Schwab plus the two newest accounts. There's a second group of the ones in the middle time-wise. Depending on where a One-Step Update is done from, it may pick up all of the Schwab accounts, or one of the two subgroups. All of these accounts were set up by selecting the Charles Schwab option from whatever dropdown was available in Quicken at the time they were set up. They used to be in one group. Does anyone know how to get them back into one group without deleting and re-adding them? (Need transaction/basis history.) The financial institution is not editable in the account list box or calling them up individually.

Thanks.

Brent
This discussion has been closed.