Every time I use Quicken Online it overwrites previously downloaded FI Data

cemntcat
cemntcat Member
When I turn on Quicken Online so I can use the iPhone app, my data gets corrupted. There appears to be a order of operations error in the download process where records are updated out of order. For example data from my financial institution like "Statement Payee" and "FITID" as well as Cleared status are downloaded and applied to transactions. On later downloads those fields are erased by outdated information stored in the Quicken Online cloud thereby corrupting my account register.

I have had to completely stop using the iPhone app and Quicken Online data sync because it's destroyed my account register. I have opened several tickets with Quicken Support, but has not been fixed yet. I can pretty much replicate the problem on-demand even today and my first ticket was in 2018.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @cemntcat

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you continue to experience this trouble.

I would like to investigate this issue a bit further to see if we can further isolate the cause of this behavior.

Can you please verify where the data file is stored?

This can be located by holding the "Command" key on the keyboard and clicking the "Q" icon to the right.

In this path, do you see any mention of Dropbox or iCloud?

If the active file is stored in a cloud drive, this can cause the behavior that you have described.

Please let us know so we can get to the bottom of this!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • cemntcat
    cemntcat Member
    Actually, yes. I always have kept my data file in Dropbox as a means of backing it up. I have been very careful to make sure that for the Quicken data folder the "Smart Sync" is off and the folder is permanently available on my Mac.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @cemntcat Using Dropbox as a location for your backup files is perfectly okay, but the location of your live data file needs to be resident on your hard drive, not a Dropbox folder. As Tyka indicated, there are problems which come up sometimes when users try to store their live data files on Dropbox (or iCloud).

I can't give you a detailed technical explanation, but it has something to do with the way the database used by Quicken is seen by Dropbox for its syncing. There are also cases where the file permissions for the fils inside you Quicken data file can get messed up via syncing, causing users to get locked out of their Quicken data.

If you put your Quicken data file in a location on your hard drive which is not tied to Dropbox, but set up your automatic Quicken backups to go to a Dropbox folder, you should be able to achieve your goal of having your Quicken data based up in Dropbox without the problems associated with having your live file on Dropbox.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • cemntcat
    cemntcat Member
    That makes sense. I will move it to a local non-Cloud folder and try for a while.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @cemntcat  Good luck! Please report back after you've tried it this way for awhile, successful or not. There are so many components to the Quicken 'ecosystem', and we all use different parts and set-ups, so we learn valuable information from each others' experiences.   :)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.