Have N/A in the "Cash Amount" column of Investment Account

Geezer31
Geezer31 Member ✭✭
Hi. I've just imported a bunch of transactions from my MSSB account into Quicken 2000 Windows. Then did alot of manual entries (for the data more than ~1 year old) to get rid of placeholders. However, I still have N/A in the "Cash Amount" column of the Quicken Investment account for most of my securities. This happens for all kinds of transactions - buys, sells and dividends. The values are correct in the transaction (in the "Inv Amt" column), but don't show up in the "Cash Amount" column and therefore don't impact the cash balance.

The help from Quicken says this can be caused by having placeholders for the security, but there are no placeholders for these securities any more (I resolved them by adding all the historical data manually).

Is there a way to resolve this? Please without having to re-input all of the manual historical data :-)?

I searched in the forum for this, but am a bit of a newbie at tracking investments in Quicken so not exactly sure how to ask the question. Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't already, I suggest you check the Show hidden transactions preference and delete any remaining placeholder transactions: select Edit > Preferences...

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Geezer31 said:
    One other quick question - is there a way to do a "bulk" delete of transactions? After fixing this, all of the Balancing Cash Transactions are still in the account (as "Xin" transactions). I can find them all, but is there a way I can delete them all in "bulk", or do I have to do it one-by-one? Thanks!
    To perform a bulk delete of investment transactions, I suggest using a customized Transaction report: select Reports > Banking > Transaction

Answers

• Geezer31
    Geezer31 Member ✭✭
    So I've done a little more digging. It appears that the problem securities are being purchased as "BoughtX" and not "Bought". I have no idea why. This was confirmed when I exported the QIF file and looked at it - for every manually-entered Buy transaction there was a matching "XIn" transaction for the cash. Ditto for the manually-added Dividend and Sold transactions. All of the imported transactions are fine - this is only a problem with manually-added transactions.

When I open the "Buy-Shares Bought" transaction dialog, I do see the section for cash handling ("from this account's cash balance" or "From" another account). However, when I then select the security I want to purchase, this cash handling section disappears.

It does this for most, but not all of the securities that were imported during the initial download from MSSB.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Geezer31

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience and feedback with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

Hopefully, someone with experience using the 2000 version may come by and offer some insight into the issue.

In the meantime, I had a few additional questions to help get a response. What file format are you using to import transactions? Have you imported successfully before?

Have you attempted the import process again with the result?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Geezer31
    Geezer31 Member ✭✭
    Thanks! I actually meant Quicken Subscription version. Maybe "Import" was the wrong word - the transactions were downloaded through Quicken connecting to the Morgan Stanley site. I'm brand new to this version (was getting by with Quicken 2007) and so this is the first time I've tried to download transactions like this.

I talked to someone at Quicken and we found that I could export the transactions as a QIF and then import them into another account and it worked - the Cash Amount columns in the new account were filled correctly. So this is the workaround I'm going with.

Thanks for reaching out.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't already, I suggest you check the Show hidden transactions preference and delete any remaining placeholder transactions: select Edit > Preferences...

• Geezer31
    Geezer31 Member ✭✭
    That's brilliant! Thanks for the tip. Obviously I hadn't done this before - I didn't realize there were hidden placeholders. Once I showed and deleted them, the cash balance is handled correctly for ALL transactions. Love it.

Appreciate everyone's help with this. Now on to the next account... :-)
  • Geezer31
    Geezer31 Member ✭✭
    One other quick question - is there a way to do a "bulk" delete of transactions? After fixing this, all of the Balancing Cash Transactions are still in the account (as "Xin" transactions). I can find them all, but is there a way I can delete them all in "bulk", or do I have to do it one-by-one? Thanks!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Geezer31 said:
    To perform a bulk delete of investment transactions, I suggest using a customized Transaction report: select Reports > Banking > Transaction
  • Geezer31
    Geezer31 Member ✭✭
    Perfect - this is just what I needed. Thanks!
  • mgerity
    mgerity Member ✭✭
    Why, why, why are there "hidden transactions" in the first place? I spent hours and hours trying to get all of my investment accounts cleaned up, updated and reconciled, but I had a couple of these "N/A" cash value problems. Now I check the option to show these ridiculous hidden transactions, only to find out I've still got a huge mess on my hands, with dozens of these stupid things. Inexplicable and ridiculous, and worse yet that the absurdity is hidden so that it causes problems with no apparent explanation.
  • pb236
    pb236 Member

Thanks to Sherlock for the quick, concise, and more importantly, necessary hint to take care of such issues. Still the best answer 2 1/2 years later!

This discussion has been closed.