Renaming a Quicken Data File

Bob.
Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
H&B 2020 Windows

Just a niggle, but I would love to rename my current Quicken data file. I find save a copy which duplicates while it allows to change the name, but would prefer to just change it. If I do it in Windows Explorer, what happens to these files (just examples):

Will they change names as I use the new file? If not, is it OK to delete those for the old named files?

Curious how this would work and not important enough to risk creating an issue, but changing name would be nice.

Best Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can rename just the .QDF file and delete the .DAT files. The .DAT files will be recreated with new names.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Once renamed, you will find the old file name still in the recent file list (File menu), if you click on it, Quicken report not finding it and offer to remove it from the list.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can rename just the .QDF file and delete the .DAT files. The .DAT files will be recreated with new names.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Once renamed, you will find the old file name still in the recent file list (File menu), if you click on it, Quicken report not finding it and offer to remove it from the list.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Cool. Thanks. Just wanted to check.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:

Good to know as well. Thanks! Will make things even more tidy.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Worked like a charm. Thanks!
  • My comment/request for information may not be relevant to this particular discussion; although I've been using Quicken for years, I have not visited the Community for help.
    My current quicken file/folder is dated 2017-~ so I want to start a new one using the same categories and accounts without any financial entries, unless I can do that easily - I'd be okay with manually entering "beginning" balances if I have to. Is that possible in the new versions (subscription)? I would still store the older file on my computer.
  • By the way, I cannot determine how to start a new conversation or query.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Use the Quick Links on the left. Down to Windows. Then select a category. You will then notice the Ask Question button. In this case right above the link to this topic.

I do think your question is different enough for its own topic and likely will get more visibility that way.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My comment/request for information may not be relevant to this particular discussion; although I've been using Quicken for years, I have not visited the Community for help.
    My current quicken file/folder is dated 2017-~ so I want to start a new one using the same categories and accounts without any financial entries, unless I can do that easily - I'd be okay with manually entering "beginning" balances if I have to. Is that possible in the new versions (subscription)? I would still store the older file on my computer.
    Why do you think it necessary to create a new data file?  My current data file goes back to 1996 and I consider it to be a "financial diary" that would be a mess if it was divided up into multi-year chunks.
    If you continue to create new files every so often, you will need to periodically open them to bring them up-to-date with the latest version of Quicken for them to be of use in the future if you need to find something in them.
    You will also need to delete all of the reminders in the old data files so that Quicken doesn't try to remind you of all of them that have happened since you last used saved the file.
    If you really want to do what you are after, use File->File Operations->Copy and use an appropriate date for the separation of transactions.

This discussion has been closed.