Report to show highest balance amount in account

Quicken Community
edited October 2023 in Reports
Various Federal reports require reporting the maximum balance on accounts during the year.
There is currently no report in Quicken that provides that information.
We have to export to Excel and then create a number of formulas.
It shouldn't be to hard to have a report that shows the max balance within a period. It would save a lot of time at tax time.
Tagged:
13 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Just out of curiosity ... which form of my personal Federal or State Income Tax Return would require such information? I've never come across this requirement when filing my returns.
  • Vetta
    Vetta Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Just out of curiosity ... which form of my personal Federal or State Income Tax Return would require such information? I've never come across this requirement when filing my returns.

Form 8983, Statement of Foreign Assets, and the FBAR. I do not believe there are any others.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Thanks, Vetta.
    This doesn't apply to my meager assets ... no wonder, I've never seen it.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    There is an account balances report that can be customized by account and dates. You can't use that?

Another method would be to filter the account by the desired time frame, then scan the balances for the max

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

There is an account balances report that can be customized by account and dates. You can't use that?

Another method would be to filter the account by the desired time frame, then scan the balances for the max

The max balance is not necessarily the last date of a period, it could be anywhere in the year. With multiple accounts that makes it very cumbersome.
    Your second option is basically what I'm doing by exporting all transactions into Excel and writing formulas.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Not necessarily a matter of "meager assets", but the fact that I travel and operate in several countries. The fact that bank insurance levels can be very different abroad accounts are often needed in several banks to protect assets.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm with you. I've been using the last date (making do by scanning the balances as mshiggins suggested, since my balances don't fluctuate that much), but I can't find this function at all on the Mac version of the software. Can't find a way to create a report on account balances at all. Could use some help from Quicken staff on this.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I don't quite understand why someone needs a report to determine the highest account balance during any given time period.

Just sort your account by date and look at the running balance!

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    It can take a long time to do that if you have multiple accounts and many transactions. But there's another purpose for a balances report. How about if you want to track your total credit debt from month to month? Quicken seems to be MIA on this board. It would be really great if they would respond.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

It can take a long time to do that if you have multiple accounts and many transactions. But there's another purpose for a balances report. How about if you want to track your total credit debt from month to month? Quicken seems to be MIA on this board. It would be really great if they would respond.

You can easily filter any banking/credit type account to only display the "Last year".
    Is your reporting requirement NOT "per account"?

And, the total credit debit can be determined from the "Account Balances" report with only the credit accounts selected.

QED.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

We need the MAX balance for EVERY (bank) account during a YEAR.

We can easily select a report to give us the running balance at any point in time for all accounts. However, all accounts will typically not have their maximum balance of a year on the same date - therein lies the issue.

It should be a piece of cake to design a report to show the max balance reached on all accounts during a period of time - showing the account, the max balance and the date that balance was reached. That would save us hours of work at tax time each year.

Thanks.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    NotACPA, I just transferred my files to the latest software and then over to the Mac. As far as I have been able to tell, the "Account Balances" report isn't there any more. If you know how to find it in the new software, do let us know. 

Of course, that doesn't answer the original question, which is in regard to a specific reporting requirement that those of us with accounts in more than one country are expected to meet. I would think that if Quicken wants to make tax reporting simple, they should acknowledge the need and try to meet it. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    DC - Fully agree with you that it should be an easy thing for quicken to do.  Just did my 2018 calc.  Selected the last transaction of 2018, scrolled up to the first, hold Shift and select.  Copy transactions, and paste in Excel.  Do =max(and select entire balance column ie i:i).  Done.
  • John Muc
    John Muc Member ✭✭
    Hey Roo ... I was just trying to figure out how to do same thing for US IRS / FBAR / FinCEN requirements and couldn't see how to do it in Quicken. Thanks for telling me exactly how I can easily do it in EXCEL.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apart from the tax requirements, I can see how a report and/or graph showing minimum, maximum and average balance for the reporting period would come in handy.
    For example, select the Date Range (Last Year) and Interval (Month, Quarter, Year) and get a columnar report, grouped by Account or everything together.

If you would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please click the "Up" triangle under the voting count (the blue box at the top of this webpage). Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you go on.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't quite understand the problem.  Why not just insure that the account is sorted by date ... and then look down the balance column?
    If necessary, you can scribble down a HIGH balance ... until you find a higher one to succeed that prior "high balance candidate".

• pnoeric
    pnoeric Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hey, just to add to the chorus, I could use this too.

@NotACPA I know you're trying to help but I am not sure you get it. ;-) In my case, I am required to report the max balance amount for all my accounts. I have 16 accounts I have to do this for.... of those 16, most of these accounts have hundreds of transactions in the last year. So even though I have each of the 16 registers sorted by date, it still takes a LONG time to go through each one manually, scroll up through the year, look for the highest balance (which fluctuates wildly, so I must write down each high value and then double-check as I scroll, etc)... for some of us, it's REALLY not a trivial problem with a quick solution.

The Excel trick mentioned above is probably my best bet but hopefully the Q folks will think about adding this at some point in the future.
  • pnoeric
    pnoeric Member ✭✭
    p.s. EVERYONE - if you want this, click the big blue "upvote" button at the TOP of this thread, in the first message! The more votes it gets, the more likely it is to happen. Thanks.
  • Not a perfect solution, but there is a graph report - account balances. Select the accounts you want, show the associated report, and set the interval to week... You'll get the weekly balance of each account. So, not perfect if you have massive variations by week... But it gets you closer.
  • Terry Locke
    Terry Locke Member ✭✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > I don't quite understand why someone needs a report to determine the highest account balance during any given time period.
    >
    > Just sort your account by date and look at the running balance!

@NotACPA
    You need the maximum balance in an account in the year in order to file FBAR.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just in case you missed it, there's a new report available now in Quicken for Windows Subscription release R 30.14
    And there are a number of discussions on that matter, e.g.,

This Idea post can marked "implemented".
    Quicken Mac users may still have to wait a little longer. I haven't found anything in the Community yet.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This report has now been partially implemented in the Tax section of the reports. Currently it only includes the cash balance, not the value of any securities in the account.
    QWin Premier subscription