Cannot download from Kinecta since Kinecta transitioned to Direct Connect

I have about 14 accounts spread over about 8 institutions. Most are Express Web Connect, a few are Direct Connect. No problem with 12 accts - 7 institutions, however, since Kinecta recently transitioned from Express Web Connect to Direct Connect, I cannot download from Kinecta.

After Kinecta made the transition, I deactivated my online connection for my two Kinecta accts and then proceeded to do a 'Set Up Now'. During the process I would enter the same username & password that I've successfully used for months. Quicken would do a handshake with Kinecta and then produce a dialog that would say (I'm paraphrasing):
------
Following Accounts found:
Savings - unsupported
Checking - unsupported
Web Express Connect does not support transaction download for brokerage accounts.
------
Quicken also suggested that I 'add' Kinecta as a new 'brokerage' account. That's not possible, as soon as I tell Quicken that the institution is Kinecta, Quicken eliminates 'brokerage' as possible acct type.

I have no problem logging on to Kinecta with a browser and same username & password.

Folks at Kinecta have no idea what the problem is.

Quicken PC, 2020, R30.14, Build 27.1.30.14

Thanks

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHICH Kinecta?  In Q, there's "Kinecta Federal Credit Union" and "Kinecta Credit Union".
    Since they have differing phone numbers and URL's ... they appear to be separate institutions ... AND their download abilities differ.
    You can look at TOOLS, Account List ... and look in the "Financial Institution" column for the name, in Q, of your CU.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• beachnik
    beachnik Member ✭✭
    Thanks for response.

Actually, there is only one Kinecta listed, it is Kinecta Federal Credit Union. There is an institution with a similar name - Kinetic Credit Union - but that institution has nothing to do with Kinecta.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    AAAH, old eyes.  I missed that the 2nd one in the list didn't have the "a" at the end of the name.
    SO, using the proper entry, I find this:
    Kinecta Federal Credit Union    http://www.kinecta.org    1-800-854-9846    https://www.kinecta.org/    ACTIVE    BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT              BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT
    Which indicates that they still support both.
    IF Kinecta now only supports Direct Connect, they need to contact Q/Intuit and let them know of the change.
    To change your connection to Direct Connect, you'll need to deactivate the current connection, exit Q, restart Q and re-connect using the Direct Connect option.
    NOTE that some banks/CU/etc require action on their end to make the switch and SOME charge a fee for Direct Connect.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• beachnik
    beachnik Member ✭✭
    Thanks again, I'm on the phone with them now, fingers crossed.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @beachnik - When typing in Kinecta during account set up, try clicking on Advanced Options and make sure that the Direct Connect option is ticked.  I noticed when I looked at it that it defaults to Express Web Connect, not to Direct Connect.  Let us know if this fixed the issue for you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• beachnik
    beachnik Member ✭✭
    You folks are great : )

Thanks for response.

I did already try that (a number of times, guess I thought I might get better at it with practice).

Over and over I’m seeing Quicken state that I need a separate / unique username/password for Direct Connect. I’ve been on the phone with Kinecta throughout the day, they don’t seem to have any awareness of this situation.

: /
  • beachnik
    beachnik Member ✭✭
    Solved.

They made a policy change (not documented on their website, nor known/understood by most of their Customer Service reps). It took a lot of time to get to the bottom of this.

They have had and continue to have a policy of allowing users to make and modify their ‘username’ (continues to work fine as long as you are logging in with a browser). And while you had to use your username to previously download transactions into Quicken, you can no longer use your username for this purpose. Going forward, when downloading transactions into Quicken, you must use your member number in place of your username.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    beachnik said:
    Solved.

They made a policy change (not documented on their website, nor known/understood by most of their Customer Service reps). It took a lot of time to get to the bottom of this.

They have had and continue to have a policy of allowing users to make and modify their ‘username’ (continues to work fine as long as you are logging in with a browser). And while you had to use your username to previously download transactions into Quicken, you can no longer use your username for this purpose. Going forward, when downloading transactions into Quicken, you must use your member number in place of your username.
    I'm glad you got it figured out.  It is not unusual for some banks to require different login information for DC access than for online account and EWC access.  Out of 5 banks that I work with, 3 of them have this requirement.  Those that do usually have online documentation spelling out this requirement but I, like you, did not find that.
    Also, IMO, most Customer Service reps at banks know squat about Quicken or anything technical regarding accessing your financial data.  I've found that when a Customer Service rep can't help with something the best thing to do is to ask to talk with their supervisor or with someone in tech support.  It can take some persistence but eventually I usually get to someone who can be of help. 

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• DCP
    DCP Member ✭✭
    Use Kinecta Member No. (not user name or account number) as Quicken "Member Number".

If you have created a new account online (not uncommon during COVID-19), and/or you have not yet received a statement (where it shows in the top upper right hand portion) then you may be unaware of what your Kinecta Member Number is. Your Member Number is the the first seven digits, of the last eight digits of your account number. For example:

If you account Number is: 99999999912345678
    Your Member No. is: 1234567

Remember these two things when adding you Kinecta account to Quicken.

1. Use Direct Connect (not Express Web Connect) as explained by Boatnmaniac above.
    2. Use your member number, not you user name, or account number.
This discussion has been closed.