Items for inventory

I am just starting using Quicken and starting a small business which I need to add inventory( have some already) so I can invoice out when time comes, where do I add these inventory items and quantities

Best Answer

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken doesn't have inventory support.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rebelbah
    rebelbah Member ✭✭
    when questioning support they claimed they did, guess that's why I haven't been able to find it
  • rebelbah
    rebelbah Member ✭✭
    I should have mentioned I have the Home and Business version
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There really is no "inventory" aspect in Quicken H&B.  You certainly can establish an "Asset" Account or Accounts to account for the dollars involved, but if you're looking for something along the lines of "I have X number of widgets in stock and last year I sold Y of these widgets" you'll need to use Quickbooks.
    If you're dealing with relatively small dollar amounts and units then using Quicken for the dollars and a spreadsheet of something for "units" (if you even need that) is an "intermediate" approach that can work.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken does have Home Inventory for Premier and above. It is a derelict add-in that I would strong recommend not using. It is prone to not working/loading/reporting after various upgrades and will eventually die.
    There are many inventory apps available outside of Quicken with some being free as much better alternatives.
  • rebelbah
    rebelbah Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW @"Tom Young" @GeoffG
    Thank you all for the quick and informative update.

Below was my question to Quicken support and their response.

MeDec 30, 2020, 3:44pm
    Does Quicken Business allow me to input and track stock/inventory?

AgentDec 30, 2020, 3:45pm
    Yes
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe because you said STOCK.  Quicken does track investments.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• rebelbah
    rebelbah Member ✭✭
    thats why it asked stock/inventory, i'll have to figure out something else to do stock/inventory and link invoice info to Quicken
  • ajcamma
    ajcamma Member ✭✭
    So Quicken decided to get rid of Home Inventory BUT DIDN'T WARN US OR PROVIDE A WAY TO MOVE OR BACKUP THE FILE! NOW WHEN i CLICK ON THE ICON FOR IT, OR THE ACCCOUNT IN PROPERTY AND DEBT MY COMPUTER FREEZES UP!!! (YES -I'M SHOUTING!) How am I supposed to retrieve that over 20 years of data!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to first install the Inventory program so you have to find the install file and double click on it. The install file is QuickenHomeInventory.exe (and you should also have  EmergencyRecordsOrganizer.exe).

I have Quicken 2013 and when I moved Quicken to my new HP Desktop 64bit with Windows 8.1 -  I found inventory in C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken folder.  I used this link

https://www.quicken.com/support/installing-quicken-home-inventory-and-emergency-records-organizer 

After it was installed,  I went back and found the actual program "QHI.exe"  in the programs folder and I right clicked on it and sent a shortcut to my Desktop.  The data file ends in .IDB.  It should be in My Documents (or just Documents) in the Quicken folder.  Or search for it.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.