Trouble with download historical pricing for month end

When I try and download historical pricing it will not download Monday 11/30/2020 stock/mutual funds pricing. After the download is complete there still appear clocks next to the price with a last download date of 11/20/20. If I look at 11/29/2020 and 12/1/2020 those prices appear to have been updated which is indicated by the fact that there are no longer clocks next to the prices.
Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    When we download historical prices for ticker symbols from the third-party quote service provider, we may obtain daily prices for the most recent month and weekly prices for the  next 11 months, and monthly prices for the next 4 years.

If you really want additional historic daily prices for a security in the Quicken file, I suggest you import an appropriately formatted CSV file with the data.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since 11/29/20 is a Sunday the absence of the clock does not mean the presence of a price. My observation is that the clock is absent when there is a price for that date or when the date is a weekend.  Frankly I see a lot of oddities in that clock icon.  

11/27 was the Friday after Thanksgiving. Markets were open for a short day as I recall. A current year-long historical download should fill in those values. Double check that. 

Not getting a historical price for 11/30/20 by asking on 1/1/21 would be considered normal programmed behavior. 
  • Jhoebo
    Jhoebo Member
    When you request historical prices you can choose the time period you want. I have used Quicken for 20 years and it always downloaded the historical prices. Normal program behavior would be to download the prices for 11/30/2020 but it is not doing it. It would not do in for October either. I had hoped it would correct itself.
  • Jhoebo
    Jhoebo Member
    Sherlock I see that you say it should download monthly prices. I would assume that means month end prices? It would download the month end prices for November and I had to manually enter month end prices for October. The question I have is why can't I get the end of month figures? It previously worked.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @Sherlock said, unfortunately when Quicken downloads historical prices, it gets daily closing prices for the past 30 days, Friday prices for the 11 months before that, and month-end prices for up to 4 more years before that.

This means that for the 11 month range, it will be missing month-end prices unless the month happened to end on a Friday. It has worked that way for as long as I can remember.

To ensure that you will have all the month-end prices, you need to update quotes more often than every 30 days.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Jhoebo said:
    Sherlock I see that you say it should download monthly prices. I would assume that means month end prices? It would download the month end prices for November and I had to manually enter month end prices for October. The question I have is why can't I get the end of month figures? It previously worked.
    That is not what I said. 

To update the price history of a security enabled for download and on the watchlist: press Ctrl + U, select Update > Historical prices...., select Five years in the pull-down menu, check the security with the correct ticker symbol, and select Update Now.

If you perform the five year update today, Quicken should import the available daily closing price of the security from 12/2/20 to 1/2/21, the available weekly closing price of the security from 12/1/21 to 1/2/20. the available monthly closing price of the security from 1/1/20 to 1/2/2016.

The weekly closing price is the price after the market closes on Friday.
    The monthly closing price is on price after the market closes on the last day of the month.

Note: The date of the closing price may be earlier if the market was not open on the expected date.  For example, the closing price for June of 2019 is on Friday the 28th.

Now, let's look at your situation:  Today, November 2020 falls in the weekly closing price range which means Quicken should import price quotes for the 11/6, 11/13, 11/20, and 11/27.
  • Jhoebo
    Jhoebo Member
    Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I always was updating more frequently as I never in the past had to manually enter the month end closing for every holding.
  • judyaf
    judyaf Member ✭✭
    Why not be able to set an automatic quote download for the last day of the month for all securities so values of accounts can be compared to broker statements
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    judyaf said:
    Why not be able to set an automatic quote download for the last day of the month for all securities so values of accounts can be compared to broker statements
    I suggest you compare the number of shares of the holdings against the statements from the financial institution.  Note: Price quotes are ephemeral.
This discussion has been closed.