How do I switch to a new computer when I have just renewed my Quicken subscription on the old one?

paddy865
paddy865 Member ✭✭
I bought the Quicken disc at the same time as my MacBook Pro 13-inch laptop in 2013 and have regularly upgraded it. When I buy a new Pro or Air very soon, can I transfer it without buying the program again? Can the store salesperson add it (or can I do it easily? I just paid for another year's subscription. I only need it on one computer, so am happy to remove it from the old one if that is what is needed.

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The subscription is tied to your Quicken Id, not to any given computer.  You would just have to install on the new machine, log in with your Quicken Id.  Note that you would want to backup your data from the old machine and restore it on the new one.

You can download the installer from either your account on Quicken.com or from this webpage.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Once you have registered with Quicken, which it sounds like you have, you can always download the latest version of the program simply by logging into your Quicken.com account. On the My Account page, you will see a link for Download for Mac -- click that and it will start installing on your new Mac. (You don't need to wait until you get your new computer; login in now and verify that it shows your current subscription and you see the download link.)

(Alternatively, you could just copy the Quicken.app Mac from the old computer to the new one. In fact, if you use Apple's Migration Assistant software to transfer your programs and data from the old computer to the new one, this will likely happen for you as part of that process.)

Your license actually allows you to run Quicken on multiple computers. I wouldn't suggest removing it from the old one until you're safely up and run-in non the new one. 

What you will need to move from the old computer to the new one is your Quicken data file (and, ideally, any backups you may have on your current computer). If you're not clear on where your data file is on your Mac, there are other posts on this site to help you with that, or as here and we can explain it. The key is making sure you know the exact name and location of the data file. You can move it via a thumb drive, via AirDrop sharing, or by emailing it to yourself. One important thing: only move a .zip copy of your data file (Control-click on the file and select "Compress" from the dropdown menu) or a .backup copy of your data file, not the live .quicken data file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The subscription is tied to your Quicken Id, not to any given computer.  You would just have to install on the new machine, log in with your Quicken Id.  Note that you would want to backup your data from the old machine and restore it on the new one.

You can download the installer from either your account on Quicken.com or from this webpage.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. you can have Quicken installed on as many machines as you like.
    Signature:
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Once you have registered with Quicken, which it sounds like you have, you can always download the latest version of the program simply by logging into your Quicken.com account. On the My Account page, you will see a link for Download for Mac -- click that and it will start installing on your new Mac. (You don't need to wait until you get your new computer; login in now and verify that it shows your current subscription and you see the download link.)

(Alternatively, you could just copy the Quicken.app Mac from the old computer to the new one. In fact, if you use Apple's Migration Assistant software to transfer your programs and data from the old computer to the new one, this will likely happen for you as part of that process.)

Your license actually allows you to run Quicken on multiple computers. I wouldn't suggest removing it from the old one until you're safely up and run-in non the new one. 

What you will need to move from the old computer to the new one is your Quicken data file (and, ideally, any backups you may have on your current computer). If you're not clear on where your data file is on your Mac, there are other posts on this site to help you with that, or as here and we can explain it. The key is making sure you know the exact name and location of the data file. You can move it via a thumb drive, via AirDrop sharing, or by emailing it to yourself. One important thing: only move a .zip copy of your data file (Control-click on the file and select "Compress" from the dropdown menu) or a .backup copy of your data file, not the live .quicken data file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • paddy865
    paddy865 Member ✭✭
    Much appreciated. Thanks for prompt reply.
  • paddy865
    paddy865 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Chris and Jacobs!
This discussion has been closed.