Categorize By Account

SGordon0211
SGordon0211 Member ✭✭
Hi!

Say I have separate online business and personal credit card accounts, and I have a payee I deal with for both business and personal reasons.

Am I correct that I can have only one categorization rule that would cover both accounts and thus would place each transaction into only one category?

Or is there a way to create two separate categorization rules, one for each account, that would place each transaction into the appropriate category depending on which account the transaction appears in?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    You cannot create account-specific rules for a payee, unfortunately.  It seems a reasonable feature request.

Just checking:  is your business one that you file as a Schedule C, E or F on your personal 1040?  If not... that you file a separate business tax return ...then the business account(s) should be in their own separate Quicken (or QuickBooks) file anyway... which would resolve the issue.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MontanaKarl a small  business that files it tax return on the User's Sched C,E, of F can EASILY be used in the same Q data file as the User's personal data.
    That's because, unless the business is separately incorporated, the IRS will usually view the business and the person as being "one and the same".
    This is the primary reason why Q created the "Home & Business" version of Quicken Windows.
    Unfortunately, there's no H&B version of QMac, so the user would just need to set up appropriate business categories (with appropriate tax lines assigned) and be diligent about when to use the Business vs. Personal categories. 
    BTW, any category that doesn't have a Business tax line attached is considered to be a Personal category.  Category name doesn't matter for this.  Tax  Line matters.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• MontanaKarl
    edited January 2021
    @NotACPA
    You did not read my post.  I said if NOT C, E or F that they should use a separate file.  Don't assume other posters aren't as smart as you :-)

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MontanaKarl  Old eyes.  I missed the word NOT

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• MontanaKarl
    Thanks.  Old eyes here, too. :-)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Am I correct that I can have only one categorization rule that would cover both accounts and thus would place each transaction into only one category?

Or is there a way to create two separate categorization rules, one for each account, that would place each transaction into the appropriate category depending on which account the transaction appears in?
    As noted above, there's no way to have account-specific QuickFill rules, and the product manager has said that while he understands the use case, they are not planning to implement such a feature because ti would require a massive amount of work. 

But just for clarity, I wanted to note that you can create two separate QuickFill rules for a Payee, and you can mark which one to use as the default. You'll just have to go in to manually change the category for the other ones. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SGordon0211
    SGordon0211 Member ✭✭
    Many thanks for everyone's input and suggestions!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about, when manually recording transactions for this Payee, you create two distinct Payee Names,
    e.g., Amazon - Personal, Amazon - Business, each with their own categories.
    That should help keep things separate, unless you expect Quicken to somehow magically distinguish between two Amazon.com downloaded transactions, one supposedly for business, one for personal ...
  • SGordon0211
    SGordon0211 Member ✭✭
    You can confidently assume I don't expect anything magical to happen.
This discussion has been closed.