How do you delete cancelled repeating bill payment reminders?

Attempting to delete a repeating bill payment reminder which displayed in the Bill and Income Reminders as cancelled but the cancelled reminder repeats itself every time the reminder date is passed. Attempting to delete the cancelled bill reminder issues a message "This repeating payment is marked for deletion. Do you wish to undo the deletion". It appears that this situation will continue until the end of civilization. Why do deleted repeating bill payment reminders live forever? Isn't there a way to remove the deleted bill payment reminder to keep it from showing up every cycle in the Bill and Income Reminders?

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Kenneth Goodwin,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you continue to experience this.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to review and try the steps found in this support article regarding this topic.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Kenneth - I sure hope that someone comes up with a solution to your problem, because your problem is identical to my problem. I've tried all of the solutions available from Quicken support and they do not work. I tried using CNTL + J to open the Bill & Income Reminders window. The instructions say to go to the Repeating Online tab, but that doesn't exist in my subscription window. Very strange.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Kenneth Goodwin
    Kenneth Goodwin Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the response. I automatically incorporate the latest updates (R30.21 currently), I run file validation once a week and supervalidation once a month. I do essentially the same with the Windows 10 Pro 64-bit operating system (updates, sfc, dism, etc.) I did find the mondo patch something I had forgotten about so I executed that - no joy as expected. The problem with attempting to delete the cancelled bill payment reminders is that you get the stupidest of error messages, "This repeating payment is marked for deletion. Do you wish to undo the deletion?" I am beginning to wonder if it won't let me get rid of it because Quicken thinks it is still 'held' at my bank in some fashion. I run the Quicken interface with my bank probably twice a day. It appears that it will never go away because once the cancelled date of the reminder has past, it re-creates itself with the next cancelled due date. For example, the cancelled repeating reminder was to trip on 1/1/2021 and after 1/1/2021 had past, the reminder got set to 4/1/2021 which coincides with the cancelled quarterly date. I would just like to get the garbage out of Quicken if possible.
  • wfhumphrey
    wfhumphrey Member ✭✭
    A very frustrating flaw in Quicken that needs to be addressed. None of the "solutions" offered above work.
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Kenneth Goodwin,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you continue to experience this.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to review and try the steps found in this support article regarding this topic.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• Kenneth Goodwin
    Kenneth Goodwin Member ✭✭✭
    Bingo!! Yes the steps listed under "Deleting Recurring or Repeating Online Payments" did the trick although a minor correction is needed probably because of changes in Quicken since the support article was written. There is no Repeating Online tab per se. I circumvented this issue by selecting the All Bills & Deposits tab and then selecting the repeating payment I wanted to delete. There are two Deletes displayed on the page but as you stated you must select the Delete at the top of the scheduled transaction list. I guess there are different caste systems associated with the command Delete but the one you specified did the trick, the delete displayed in the specific transaction line must be of lower caste since it did nothing. ( I hope you catch my drift as to how stupid having different Deletes is to a professional programmer.) Regardless I am indebted to your advice on how to delete what us old guys use to call an infinite do loop. I just loved watching the cancelled repeating transaction recreate itself every quarter which was my repeating period for the transaction. Mucho grass! Ken Goodwin
  • Quicken Anja
    Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that worked for you. :)

Also, thank you for bringing the outdated information in the article to our attention! I will go ahead and submit a request to have it brought up to date.

-Quicken Anja

• PaulieD
    PaulieD Member
    thanks, selecting the ctrl key when I hit delete did the trick for me!
This discussion has been closed.