How do I remove an account from the main view?

This discussion was created from comments split from: Pros/Cons - Closed Accounts vs Hidden Accounts.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @artg
    artg said:
     Right now the two boxes I checked are "Hide in Account Bar and Account List" and "Hide in Transaction Entry Lists."
    To remove the account from your "view" you should also check the "third box" titled "Keep This Account Separate" (located to the right of the other two checked boxes on the "Manage Hidden Accounts" screen).

Let me know if that does it.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe someone can help me with my dilemma.  I have an account with a zero balance.  I do not want to close it because I'd like the ability to capture transactions for reports.  But I'd like to remove it from the "Main View." Anyone know how to remove it from the "Main View?" Right now the two boxes I checked are "Hide in Account Bar and Account List" and "Hide in Transaction Entry Lists."
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @artg First off let me tell you that closing an account doesn't remove it from the reports (with the exceptions of the "Views" that don't allow you to customize the accounts used).  At the most you might have to do is select a check box that says "include hidden accounts".  The "main thing" closed accounts does as far as "visibility" is concerned is that it sets the "Hide in Transactions Entry List" setting, and you can't undo that.

But what do you mean by "Main View"?  Are you talking about the Home tab or the Account List?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW : Thank you Chris.  In answer to your question: It's showing up in the Main View with a value of $0 (which is correct.) On the left hand side of the Home Page it's hidden but I can easily get to it under "More Accounts." I want it off the Main View.  Can you help?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    @artg [Removed-Unhelpful] There is nothing called "Main View"
    Do you mean the Account Bar on the side of the screen listing all the accounts and optionally balances?
    Do you mean the Home Tab with its various views?
    Or something else?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You are talking about the Account Bar.  And no there isn't any option that gets rid of the "More Accounts".  "Hidden" for the account bar mean putting it in the "More Accounts" section.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. For what it worth when the "More Accounts" was first created there was a lot of people suggesting they want to completely hide accounts and not show the "More Accounts", but they never changed it.

On the other hand when this was implemented on the Quicken Mac side they gave them that option.

Maybe if someone was to submit it again as in Idea and people voted on it they would come around.
    Signature:
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @artg
    artg said:
     Right now the two boxes I checked are "Hide in Account Bar and Account List" and "Hide in Transaction Entry Lists."
    To remove the account from your "view" you should also check the "third box" titled "Keep This Account Separate" (located to the right of the other two checked boxes on the "Manage Hidden Accounts" screen).

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Frankx said:
    Hi @artg
    artg said:

Frankx

That doesn't remove it from the Account Bar and it will remove the transactions from some reports like the net worth one.  Keep separate is for accounts you don't want included in your net worth calculations.  It it isn't a "hiding" function.

Example of Keep Separate.

Here I have set "Keep separate" on my house account.
    If I in turn set the "Hide account name in the account bar" it move it to "More Accounts" under "Separate".

Like I said above in Quicken Windows there isn't any option that allows you to completely hide an account on the Account bar.
    Signature:
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the OP's post
    artg said:
    But I'd like to remove it from the "Main View." Anyone know how to remove it from the "Main View?" Right now the two boxes I checked are "Hide in Account Bar and Account List" and "Hide in Transaction Entry Lists."
                   [emphasis BOLD added]

I believe that he is looking to remove it from what he calls the "Main View" which I believe is likely "View 1" on the Homepage Tab (but clearly could be wrong about that.  But given that he said he has already checked the "Hide in Account Bar" I doubt that is what he's asking about.

Frankx

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hard to really give good answers if the correct terminology isn't being used.
    Signature:
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW : Good morning and you're absolutely correct so let me try again with better (correct) terminology. I'm in the "Home Tab" and in the "Main View."  The account is not showing on the left side where all of my active accounts are listed. However, it's still in the Main View with a zero balance.  I'd like to remove it from the Main View. It's a Retirement account by the way.  I apologize for not using accurate terminology.  Right now the two boxes I checked (within account details) are "Hide in Account Bar and Account List" and "Hide in Transaction Entry Lists." Please make another attempt at trying to help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

This image snapshot should tell us what you're looking at and give us a clue how to proceed.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    HI again @artg

Did you try the action that I suggested in my post to you dated yesterday - above?  If so, what happened?  If not, please check that third box and let me know whether that worked.

Frankx

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    artg said:
    @Chris_QPW : Good morning and you're absolutely correct so let me try again with better (correct) terminology. I'm in the "Home Tab" and in the "Main View."  
    There is no native view called Main View.  I believe the native views are My Money and First Page.  In my case I also have MyHome which is a customized view I added.  So, the community does not know what your Main View displays.

I would suggest you click on the Customize tab and give us the list of it's contents

As you can see, MyHome view is very simple with just reminders and all accounts.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Rocket J Squirrel
    I think we're going to have to apologize to @artg . There actually is a built-in view called Main View. It must be a newer thing than us old-timers are used to. Create a new empty Quicken file and you'll see it. Sorry @artg !

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited January 2021
    And maybe this will finally get around to answering the question. In the "See where your money goes" display, we can select a custom set of accounts to include. It's under the gear at the upper right of that display. Not all of the views/displays have this option, though.

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    @Rocket J Squirrel, you're right and I apologize to @artg as well.  I'm still a bit confused as to where he is seeing an account with $0.  Here's the features list for my new file, native version, of Main View.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Rocket J Squirrel
    We'll have to wait for @artg to specify which widget he's looking at.
    There is one called "Investment and Retirement Accounts". When I add it, it does indeed show hidden, zero-balance accounts. The only way to get them out of the widget is to mark them as Separate.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Hi @Rocket J Squirrel

Nicely done!  So the "Main View" is what used to be called the "My Money" view - at least that's what it is called in my version. 

Anyway, @artg has apparently modified that standard view if he's seeing account balance data, he likely added "Banking Account Details".  And after playing with it a little bit, the only way that I can find for him not to see that account, is if he does what I suggested above - namely:

.Frankx said:

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Given this is on the Home tab (that it the most important part to spell out) it is no wonder that the terminology gets confusing, because as far as I know there isn't any other then "items", or "widgets", ...

The "My Money" can be renamed to whatever you like. It is a "View" and you can have multiple ones, all with whatever name you want to call them.

Past that you have the actual "items" that you select using "Customize".

And it is very important to specify the name of the item you are talking about, since some of them have options for picking different things like accounts, and some don't.
    And in the case of the ones that don't they may or may not "respond" to the "hidden" option.  As in they might include all the accounts whether you like it or not.  Or they might leave off the hidden ones, and don't give you and option to include them.
    Signature:
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning all and thank you.  I was away from my PC yesterday and it appears my dilemma caused quite a conversation.  First, allow me to answer @Frankx . When I check the third box "Keep this account separate" it moves out of my main view.  It was that simple.  Now, if @Rocket J Squirrel can help me with the tool "See where your money goes" I'd appreciate that as well.  In other words, where is it please? Finally, it never ceases to amaze me on how generous and cooperative this community is when it comes to sharing knowledge, experience and expertise.  Again, thank you.    
This discussion has been closed.