Can Not add New Banking Account

Sorry, I do this every 5 years - and now I can't.

Every 5 years I create a new checking account register (same account, just a new register). I do this to keep my tracking account from getting too large - and have been doing this since 1995 (have about 5 old accounts, if I need to go back for some reason).

My current account is labeled Checking 2016-2020 - but that is just a label for the account name as far as I know.

Except beginning last week, I have been getting errors on my BkofAm downloads saying BofA has downloaded information for an account that does not exist in Quicken. I don't think BofA knows my Quicken account is labeled, named Checking 2016-2020??

So anyway, I click on the Add Account, give Quicken my account name and password - and i finds my checking account along with a few BofA accounts (savings, MM). Anyway, the Quicken display come up with all of my accounts and the status is "Do not add to Quicken". I am given no option to create new account - i.e. nothing to click on except NEXT, and when I do that, the Add Account process terminates and I am back in Quicken.

I think there used to be options to link the BofA Account to one of my Quicken accounts - so something has changed. Surely there must be a way for me to do this.

(P.S. And the other funny thing seems to be that the current Checking 2016-2020 that Quicken apparently thinks is linked to the BofA account is not being updated - probably the fake Quicken account does not exist business.)

ron in shawnee

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Before attempting to add the new register, I suggest you deactivate the Online Services setup on the old register: open the old register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab and Deactivate
  • Ron n Round Rock
    Ron n Round Rock Member ✭✭✭
    OK Sherlock, thanks.

Yes, I thought that was the way to go, but was trying to get Quicken to download the Cleared checks into my 2020 checking account, so I could Clear all of my Christmas checks. However, Quicken would not do that, "maybe" because of the ". . . account does not exist . . ." error I mentioned in the original post (PLEASE SEE THE END OF THIS POST).

OK, anyway, the Deactivate sort of worked - BUT NOT REALLY - WHAT A MESS QUICKEN CREATED!

After de-activating the, let's call it the 2020 account - on the next download Quicken offered to link the BoA account to an existing account or a new account. I hadn't created the new 2021 account, so I said new account (BAD DECISION) thinking Quicken would offer me the opportunity to set the account up (BAD THINKING).

So what Quicken did was create a new account and downloaded about 8 months of transactions (back to April, 2020) into the new account. Before accepting the downloaded transactions, I tired to Copy and Paste the transactions from new account to the old account (wouldn't work, nor would Move transaction). I tried to Deactivate the new account (and start all over), but Quicken wouldn't let me do that either UNTIL I had accepted all of the downloaded transactions.

So I accepted the transactions, which ended up screwing up the transactions in my other BoA accounts - for all of the transactions that transferred money between my checking account and my other BoA accounts.

OK, I WILL STOP - ALTHOUGH I COULD GO ON AND ON - WHAT A MESS.

Yes, after a couple of hours of straightening everything out, I "THINK" I have everything fixed and working, maybe. I still don't really know yet if or which account my BoA account is linked to and I still am not sure things are working yet since I have very little activity in my banking accounts (a few transactions a month). I have 3 outstanding checks to come in (Clear), so I guess I will find out then, if everything is still working (particularly not much activity in the checking account except at Christmas and around birthdays).

HOWEVER, I HOPE YOU ARE STILL WITH ME because I am still getting the Error of "Your financial institution has downloaded data for an account that does not exist in your Quicken data file". Any ideas I can figure out what is going on there without calling the clowns at BoA, who generally are of no help at all, when and if I can get through to them.

ron in shawnee
  • Ron n Round Rock
    Sorry, if this seems to be double posting - because questions was asked in another post - but not this subject.

I am getting an Error OL-362-A of:

"Your financial institution has downloaded data for an account that does not exist in your Quicken data file." (financial institution is Bk of Am)

I started getting this error about 2 weeks ago. There is no other information associated with this error - i.e. no indication of what the extra account data is. In researching the error, I have seen suggestions of Deactivating and Re-activating the account - but I have several accounts with BoA. I have Deactivated and re-activated my primary checking account. I have even created a new account and got it linked (so Quicken says) to my primary checking account. I have Reset the account and done about everything offered to me by Quicken.

I have even called BoA, but they don't know what the problem is either.

My banking accounts are not particularly active, but I did get a notice from BoA that a check had cleared, yet it is not showing up in my BofA checking account downloads - and I will have to wait until some interest or something shows up in my other accounts (although the credit card account at BoA is getting updated..

OK, I haven't called Quicken Technical support yet, and probably should have - but does anyone have any idea in how to track down this error?

ron in shawnee
  • dnardozzi
    dnardozzi Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    [Removed- Off-Topic]
  • dnardozzi
    dnardozzi Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    [Removed- Off-Topic]
  • Ron n Round Rock
    Need help - Banking account(s) not being updated.

I am getting an Error OL-362-A, with text of:

"Your financial institution has downloaded data for an account that does not exist in your Quicken data file." (financial institution is Bk of Am)

I started getting this error about 2 weeks ago. There is no other information associated with this error - i.e. no indication of what the extra account data is. In researching the error, I have seen suggestions of Deactivating and Re-activating the account - but I have several accounts with BoA.

However, I have Deactivated and re-activated my primary checking account. I have even created a new account and got it linked (so Quicken says) to my primary checking account. I have Reset the account and done about everything offered to me by Quicken. Nothing is working.

I have even called BoA, but they don't know what the problem is either. They opened a problem report, but I have not heard anything back yet (and wonder if I will)

My banking accounts are not particularly active, but I did get a notice from BoA that a check had cleared, yet it is not showing up in my BofA checking account downloads - and I will have to wait until some interest or something shows up in my other accounts to see if they are working (although the credit card account at BoA is getting updated).

OK, I haven't called Quicken Technical support yet, and probably should have, and will - but before I do that, does anyone have any idea in how to track down this error?

ron in shawnee
  • dnardozzi
    dnardozzi Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    [Removed-Off Topic]
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Ron n Round Rock

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I would start by reviewing the steps and information available here.

If the trouble persists, I would recommend contacting support directly for a review of the logs to help determine the cause of this error message.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

As the connection type is Direct Connect, this will most likely need to be brought to the attention of the financial institution, Bank of America. However, support can help in locating the error message to provide them.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Ron n Round Rock
    OK, THIS ONE IS RESOLVED, SORT OF - BUT NOT REALLY!

I am only going to say that this problem is somehow associated with the interaction between Quicken and Bank America. The crux of the problem has something to do with the interaction between these 4 guys: Bank of America - All Other States - Direct Connect - Express Web Connect - and a new one, Bank of America - Quicken.

My single problem of 1 account out of about 20 (7 at Bank of America) accounts was not being updated. A Quicken Agent ended up resolving the problem by getting my account re-linked to or thru "Bank of America-Quicken"

I still don't understand. I am still getting the "your financial institution has downloaded data for an account that does not exist in Quicken", on the "Bank of America - All Other States" connection - but the broken account is being updated OK through the "Bank of America - Quicken" connection. Now, I don't know which one to use, which one to link my accounts to or how to get rid of one or the other (I am talking about the 2 Bank of America connections here)

I won't try to explain what is going on as I still don't understand. If you look around and Search for the 4 strings I have just mentioned, you will find a lot of other comments on this problem. I am going to search around and jump into a conversation on this problem - or give up and open another Post about this problem.

About all I can say now, is that I am working again, BUT something is still broken - AND WHAT A MESS.

ron in shawnee
  • Ron n Round Rock
    This is a follow-up on the OL-362-A ERROR of "Your financial institution has downloaded data for an account that does not exist in you Quicken data file".

I have been using Quicken to download data from about 20 different accounts (various bank accounts and brokerage accounts) - successfully for many, many years. Of these accounts, 7 were Bank of America accounts. About 2 weeks ago, for no reason, no changes, I started getting the error mentioned above - but it only seemed to affect one of my 7 accounts, my main Bank of America (BoA) account - the other 6 accounts were OK.

I must point out that for and in the Bank of America error status, it does correctly identify my 7 Bank of America accounts as being updated, but only 6 of them actually are - my main checking account is not being updated. [Fixes of Deactivate and Re-activate, creating a new Quicken account, etc. did not help - I was and am still getting the error.]

However, I now have a work around for the problem of the above error only affecting 1 of my 7 Bank of America accounts - the point of this Post.

A few days ago (actually sort of solved yesterday) a Quicken Support Agent managed to get the downloads from the 1 non-working account by interconnecting to "Bank of America - Quicken" - as opposed to the normal(??) "Bank of America - All Other States" connection. The connection on the "Bank of America - Quicken" was also set up as an "Express Web Connect" as opposed to the "Direct Connect" used on the "Bank of America - All Other States" interface connection.

The above has gotten my checking account downloads working again, but I now have other problems, questions

1) I now have 6 accounts (instead of 7 because I Deactivated my main checking account) downloading normally through the Bank of America - All Other States Direct Connect interface - BUT still getting the Error message in paragraph 1 above.

2) I now have my main BoA checking account being updated through the Bank of America - Quicken Express Web Connect interface - no errors, but the Bank of America - Quicken status is not mentioned in the One Step Summary status popup.

So what should I do now:

1) Live with this arrangement - it appears to be working, but still getting the error message mentioned in paragraph #1 above.

2) Try to move all of my BoA accounts to the Bank of America Quicken Express Web Connect.

3) And if I do the above, what do I do about the Bank of America - All Other States interface. I guess it got set up when I ADDED my Quicken accounts and really don't know how to get rid of it.

4) Is it worth nit-picking over the difference between the Direct Connect and an Express Web Connect connection - or is one clearly better or superior or are their drawbacks of one over the other. (Will I end up with 0 accounts updated, but still get the error message, attached, I hope)

5) Wait and hope Quicken will at some point spend some time with Bank of America to resolve this problem. They must have a relationship with Bank of America - and questioning the Bank of America - Quicken interface here. Whose idea was that - Quicken or Bank of America.

Sorry for the long post, but it is for the moderator's benefit (hoping they will pass it on to technical support) as much as asking the Community for help and feedback on this issue.

Any help will be appreciated as I seem to have run out of options. Yes, there are places I can go (i.e. #1 above), but am looking for the right course of action.

ron in shawnee
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Ron n Round Rock , great information.  I can only try to respond to #4: Direct Connect (DC) is superior in that it is more secure than Express Web Connect (EWC) with respect to your login credentials and as the name suggests, it connects and downloads directly from your financial institution.  Given the options, DC is the best way to go and I am sure there is a way to resolve your issue without resorting to EWC.  Perhaps many experts and superusers are preparing on various responses which I too look forward to.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Ron n Round Rock
    OK, I spoke too soon lauding the support I received for getting my bank account functioning again.

Yes, it is working - but I find that I have to do a 2-step authorization every time I do the Update in Quicken. Every time, on the Web Express Connect, Bank of America asks where to send a code to access my account. So I indicate a Text message - and then have to input the Code received on my Cell phone.

(Of course, my Direct Connect link doesn't require this.)

So I need help here from any Web Express Connect users. Is there a way to over-ride this step - so I don't have to go through this annoying process every time I do a Quicken Update. I can't find an option for that.

ron in shawnee
  • Ron n Round Rock
    edited January 2021
    I FIXED IT - RATHER I FOUND IT, THE PROBLEM.

Just wanted to update this Post in case some following it.
    The REAL PROBLEM was not that I could not add a new Bank Account
    The REAL PROBLEM was with the error message of:
    ----> "Your financial institution has downloaded data for an account
    that does not exist in your Quicken data file".

OK, here is/was the problem - probably a combination between the interconnect between Quicken and BofA, but mainly a BofA caused problem.

About 6 years ago, BofA would not let me remove a deceased Joint Owner from one of my checking account (or even close account). They wanted all sorts of documentation, death certificate, court order from judge, etc. - OR they said
    I could just remove all of the money from the account if I wasn't using it. I was not using the account (although had planned on replacing the Joint Owner with another), but left the few hundred dollars in the account, drawing about a penny's interest each month for the past 6 years.

About 3 months ago, thinking this was silly, I emptied the non-active checking account, but kept it in my active Quicken Direct Connect list of BofA accounts. Everything went fine for about 3 months, then out of nowhere the error (. . . downloaded data for Quicken account that does not exist . . .) popped up on my Quicken downloads.

I had several BofA accounts, but besides the Error (OL-362-A) popping up on every BofA download, only one account was affected - my other Checking account at BofA. It would not update - everything else was working fine (savings accounts and a credit card account).

I did get a terrible work-around provided by Quicken for the non-working checking account - by changing it to an Express Web connection. That worked - but I say TERRIBLE because I had to do a 2-step verification with my cell phone on that one account EVERY TIME I did a download (BEYOND ANNOYING). Anyway, I won't go into that further.

I have been working on this problem for weeks now, with Quicken and BofA - no one has a clue - no one can tell me what is going one. In the past, one of the recommendations was to Deactivate and Reactivate the account - so I did that with the checking account that didn't work - didn't help. I didn't do it with the other accounts since they appeared to be working, even the other Zero-Balance checking account.

Out of desperation, I decided to give it one last shot today and step through and Deactivate and Reactivate all of the working accounts. And yes, you guessed it - I started by Deactivating the Zero-Balance checking account - tried a download - and everything worked - no error message - just back to my old Quicken download operation. Additionally, I was able to change the Express Web connected account back to a Direct Connect and everything is still working great - even got an update on the account, so I know it is working.

SO THE REAL PROBLEM was after a 3-month delay (the time frame is probably significant) of no activity in a Zero-Balance checking account, BofA marked it in some special way and caused something extra, something different to be downloaded to Quicken - something that Quicken was not expecting and could not handle - and Quicken not knowing what to do, posted the Error OL-362-A Message with the text noted several times earlier in this post and above.

AND THE FIX is to DEACTIVATE the Zero-Balance checking account.

So whose problem was it - in my opinion both - but a big failure in my mind was neither Quicken or BofA willing to take responsibility for digging in and finding the problem. TRUE, probably a very difficult problem to run down since it was so obscure, only affecting my downloads because of my peculiar situation (the Zero-Balance checking account). However, now that the problem has been identified, I feel Quicken should probably be the one to fix it (by getting more information of the unexpected formatted download) - or at least put this in there technical support Qs & As as to the possible source of the problem.

SORRY for the long post, but I wanted the Quicken people to understand what was going on here - and I plan on posting this information to Quicken technical (if I can figure out a way to do that) and also passing on the same information to BofA as well).

And I don't know if moderators do this, but it would very nice if they forwarded this to the technical support people since I really don't know how to get this information to them.

ron in shawnee
This discussion has been closed.