Imports Incorrect Security From Fidelity

Options
Through my Fidelity account, I purchased the security "Intel Corp" (INTC). Quicken imported the thinks that the stock is Incyte. I changed the name in the register to correctly reflect Intel, however, it now shows that I have a discrepancy. Quicken calls this "Securities Comparison Mismatch". It wants to create a Place Holder. How do I fix this problem? I once owned Incyte but sold last year. So Quicken has records of the Incyte Security. It should be at zero shares owned at this point.

Not sure why Intel imports as Incyte. Not sure I can just delete the Security because I don't know the ramifications of doing so. Every time I update, Quicken returns with this discrepancy report.

Quicken thinks Fidelity is reporting Incyte instead of Intel Corp.
Any suggestions? I wish I could upload picture of error report, but it seems that you can't upload on this community site.
Thanks

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken matches data for a security received from a financial institution to a security in the Quicken file using the CUSIP ID field provided by the financial institution.  When we import data for a security with a CUSIP ID that is not matched, we are prompted to match the security to an existing security that is not matched to an online security or to create a new security.  We may clear this linkage by unchecking Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window.

I suspect you have mismatched the securities.  I suggest you unmatch the securities and, the next time Quicken attempts to match their CUDIP IDs, you should be prompted to select the appropriate Quicken security again. 

To add a picture, you should be able just drag and drop the file on to the edit text box.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    jco said:
    Now that I'm replying, I do see how to send an attachment but could not on the original post. Attached are the files I wanted to send. I'm still unclear how to make this edit. I bring up the security list. Which one do I edit? Exactly what am I editing?

I see a checkbox at the bottom that indicates it is matched online (see attachment). I think you want me to edit Incyte (wrong security) and uncheck that box so that next time it will prompt me again.

Let me know.
    Edit the Incyte Corp security and uncheck Matched with online security.

The next time Quicken prompts, choose the Intel Corp security.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    jco said:
    I have done what you suggested. When I update, I no longer get the error, however, I don't get any message telling me that INTC is a new Security either. This means my newly purchased security, INTC will not update the share price on each update. Is it possible that I have to wait until Fidelity reports a security change (Income distribution or buying additional shares)?

I guess there is no way to force the INTC Security to start updating online?
    Select Tools > Online Center, the financial institution in the Financial institution: pull-down menu, the account, the Holdings tab, and Compare to Portfolio...

Another question:
    What are the ramifications of deleting a security that was already sold? Will it effect reports? Reason why I'm asking, I might have another approach that may work.
    We may not delete a security that is referenced in a transaction.  If there are no transactions referencing a security, deleting the security should not impact reports.
    New Scenario;
    What if I deleted the INTC (security that I purchased), then edit INCYTE by changing the Company Name and Ticker? By doing this, the checkmark to check online is still selected. I don't know if this is a good method or not. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    If you change the security's name, all references to the security will use the new name.  If you change the security's ticker symbol, all references to the security will use the new ticker symbol.  Note: Changing the security's ticker symbol may also impact the security's price history.

If you choose to reuse the security, Quicken will not be able to distinguish between the two securities the security represents.  

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken matches data for a security received from a financial institution to a security in the Quicken file using the CUSIP ID field provided by the financial institution.  When we import data for a security with a CUSIP ID that is not matched, we are prompted to match the security to an existing security that is not matched to an online security or to create a new security.  We may clear this linkage by unchecking Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window.

I suspect you have mismatched the securities.  I suggest you unmatch the securities and, the next time Quicken attempts to match their CUDIP IDs, you should be prompted to select the appropriate Quicken security again. 

To add a picture, you should be able just drag and drop the file on to the edit text box.
  • jco
    jco Member ✭✭
    Options
    Now that I'm replying, I do see how to send an attachment but could not on the original post. Attached are the files I wanted to send. I'm still unclear how to make this edit. I bring up the security list. Which one do I edit? Exactly what am I editing?

I see a checkbox at the bottom that indicates it is matched online (see attachment). I think you want me to edit Incyte (wrong security) and uncheck that box so that next time it will prompt me again.

Let me know.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    jco said:

Let me know.
    Edit the Incyte Corp security and uncheck Matched with online security.

The next time Quicken prompts, choose the Intel Corp security.
  • jco
    jco Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have done what you suggested. When I update, I no longer get the error, however, I don't get any message telling me that INTC is a new Security either. This means my newly purchased security, INTC will not update the share price on each update. Is it possible that I have to wait until Fidelity reports a security change (Income distribution or buying additional shares)?

Another question:
    What are the ramifications of deleting a security that was already sold? Will it effect reports? Reason why I'm asking, I might have another approach that may work.

New Scenario;
    What if I deleted the INTC (security that I purchased), then edit INCYTE by changing the Company Name and Ticker? By doing this, the checkmark to check online is still selected. I don't know if this is a good method or not. Your thoughts are appreciated.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    jco said:

Select Tools > Online Center, the financial institution in the Financial institution: pull-down menu, the account, the Holdings tab, and Compare to Portfolio...

Another question:
    We may not delete a security that is referenced in a transaction.  If there are no transactions referencing a security, deleting the security should not impact reports.
    New Scenario;
    If you change the security's name, all references to the security will use the new name.  If you change the security's ticker symbol, all references to the security will use the new ticker symbol.  Note: Changing the security's ticker symbol may also impact the security's price history.

If you choose to reuse the security, Quicken will not be able to distinguish between the two securities the security represents.  
  • jco
    jco Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your response. My issues are fixed.
This discussion has been closed.