Phantom recurring payment

R H L
R H L Member ✭✭
I'm currently at R30.21 but this issue has persisted since the previous two updates.

I had a recurring monthly payment to company X that I incorrectly set with no end date. I cancelled and deleted the recurring payment and it no longer shows up in any of the ways to look for payments.

But after I update my accounts I still get a payment to company X showing up ready to send. When I cancel that payment a new one shows up for the subsequent month. I am not able to delete the string of payments. I've been cancelling them one month at a time and then cancelling the new one that shows up, and on and on.

In addition, after I have cancelled a payment, if I close Quicken I get an error message that there is a cancellation waiting to be sent even though none shows up in the register. If I resend the cancellation I still get that message when I try to close Quicken.

How can I get rid of this recurring payment once and for all?

BTW, I contacted Quicken "support" about this over a week ago and haven't heard anything back.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @R H L,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you continue to experience this.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to review and follow the troubleshooting instructions found in this support article regarding this topic.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• R H L
    R H L Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I looked at the troubleshooting instructions you referenced and they don't quite apply to my problem because the transaction isn't listed under Manage Bill & Income Reminders (or anywhere else I can find). That's why I called it a phantom recurring payment.

However, I did see on the page you pointed me to that the recurring payment could be in my bank's system so I called them and they were able to delete the recurring payment.

BUT...

When I quit Quicken I still get the message
    "You have cancel payment instructions to send. You must send them now or Quicken will remove them from the Instructions to Send list."
    and the options are "Send Remove Instructions. Cancel. Help".
    If I click "Remove Instructions" I then get a further message
    "You have online payments to send. Do you want to send them before exiting?"
    and the options are "Yes. No. Cancel"

I've tried all the options to reply to these error messages, and they still come up whenever I try to exit Quicken. However, the phantom payments have stopped showing up, so my bank did delete them.

How do I get rid of these incorrect error messages?
  • Quicken Anja
    Thanks for the update and additional information! I'm glad to hear that the bank was able to remove the recurring payment. 

As for the error message you mentioned that continues to resurface, I suggest you first try to Validate your data file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case). To validate your file, please follow the steps below.
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Validate and Repair...
    4. Select Validate file
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (you may still receive the error when closing on this first attempt. Once closed, leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken, then try closing again to see if the error persists.
    You can also try to Super validate the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 3) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• R H L
    R H L Member ✭✭
    Thanks again.
    When I validated my file there were errors found and corrected. I also ended up with about 50 bill reminders that were for one time and zero dollars with no payee entered. I deleted all of them.
    But I still had the "You have cancel payment instructions to send" message when closing the file.
    I super-validated. No errors found.
    And I still have the message "You have cancel payment..." as detailed in a previous posting.

I noticed that on the Bills & Income tab it says "2 Payments to send" at the top, but the One Step Update confirmation page doesn't show anything to send because I have updated a couple of times to be sure.

Do you have any further suggestions?
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @R H L

Thank you for providing that additional information.  May I ask, have you checked in the Online Center at all?

If not, please go to the Tools menu > Online Center.  Change the Financial Institution Name drop-down menu to the institution holding the funds for the payments and select the Payments tab.

Is anything listed there?  Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • R H L
    R H L Member ✭✭
    Thank you again for your suggestions.
    I had already looked in the payment tab of the Online Center and the only thing there is my monthly mortgage payment that's been there for several years. There is nothing unusual there.
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello @R H L,

Thank you for trying the troubleshooting instructions previously provided and consistently providing us with an update afterward.

Unfortunately, since the previous steps provided have failed thus far, at this point, I would recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support again, for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

I apologize that our efforts from the Community were unable to resolve this for you.

-Quicken Anja

• R H L
    R H L Member ✭✭
    Quick update: I had to call Wells Fargo to get them to delete the recurring payment from their system. Telling Quicken to stop the recurrence and then updating at WF didn't have any effect. I then had to do a Validate and Repair on my Quicken file a few times before all was back to normal.
This discussion has been closed.