I'm on 31.6- Balance Discrepancy [Edited]

Lou R
Lou R Member
Balance in Checkbook = $2,614.50, Next entry up is a payment for $144.18 - My Quicken Balance in the checkbook after this transaction says $2,014.50 NOT THE CORRECT TOTAL IT SHOULD SHOW of $2,470.32. Interesting thing is the difference between $2,014.50 & $2,614.50 is the NEXT entry in my register which is a payment of $600... It's like it's subtracting from 2 transactions below! The ONLY way I've found to correct this is to go into the Memo transaction and type something in... then the software 'resets' itself and does the subtraction correctly. This has been happing for a # of years with my software; not just after a certain update. VERY frustrating

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    This has been reported before. It's an odd bug, not a sorting issue. @Lou R is correct that Quicken appears to be subtracting the wrong transaction. I don't think anyone has ever figured it out. If I recall correctly, forcing a register refresh (by going elsewhere and then coming back to the register) fixes the arithmetic. Until the next time it appears.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you describe sounds like a register that is sorted by anything other than what should be by date. You can sort any column by selecting the heading with the mouse. The Date column should be selected. You can reverse the ascending/descending order by clicking the heading again. A small ^ indicates the column that is sorted.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a screenshot?  Shrink the Q window to just show 3-5 lines of the register and include the Headings in the screenshot.  Blank out anything in the text fields that is personal.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    This has been reported before. It's an odd bug, not a sorting issue. @Lou R is correct that Quicken appears to be subtracting the wrong transaction. I don't think anyone has ever figured it out. If I recall correctly, forcing a register refresh (by going elsewhere and then coming back to the register) fixes the arithmetic. Until the next time it appears.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Lou R
    Lou R Member
    Thank you all for the comments; I am glad to hear that it's a known issue, but it really is frustrating when it happens. I end up double checking the math on a program that's based on adding/subtracting ... DOH !!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.