Vanguard / Password Vault issue

Since the latest update, I've been experiencing a problem with my Vanguard account.

One step update, when selected, will prompt for me to enter the Vanguard account password. When I enter it (it didn't properly store in the password vault, apparently), I get a dialog box that asks me to enter a password for the instituition. Umm, I just did!

So, deselect Vanguard and run OSU as normal. All other accounts update fine. I go to my Vanguard account, and try to run Ctrl-Shift-U update on it individually. I get the same "enter password" dialog as before, but the password, when entered, merely prompts a dialog box that, again, asks me to enter a password.

Next step -- go to Vanguard account settings and deactivate online setup. Close quicken. Reopen Quicken. Go to Vanguard account settings and set up for online. Yay, it works! I get a connection, can download, and my password gets stored in the password vault.

Until, that is, the next time I use quicken. Now the Vanguard password is no longer in the vault. This sends me back to square one and having to deactivate, etc.

For some reason, it seems that the password vault isn't properly storing or remembering my Vanguard account, even though it shows that it has the password stored after I re-enable the connection. This has been ongoing for several days.

Answers

• pjhartman
    pjhartman Member ✭✭
    Question -- when you go to your password vault, do you see a password stored for Capital One? I am having a similar issue, with Vanguard, and while it "seems" to store the password in my vault, on my next Quicken re-open there's no password any more.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Password Vault, in the Password Stored column, do you see a golden key and "Not required"?
    Does this apply to bank accounts wich are connected using Express Web Connect?
    If so, this means that the password for this bank connection is now stored in the Quicken QCS server and not in the Password Vault any more.
    If you need to change passwords at the bank's website, during your next One Step Update or Update Now you will be prompted to enter the new password.
  • pjhartman
    pjhartman Member ✭✭
    To answer the above question, in the Password Vault, I see no entry for Vanguard whatsoever.

After deleting the Vanguard online connection, restarting Quicken, and re-building the Vanguard online connection, I then see an entry in the Password Vault for Vanguard. It is not a golden key type, but instead shows a stored password.

This persists until I exit Quicken and restart it, at which point my Password Vault no longer has any entry for Vanguard.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @pjhartman,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for not having received a follow-up response yet.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try switching from the QCS channel to the FDS channel. Please, follow the steps below in order to do so.
    1. Hold down F4 on your keyboard and select Help > About Quicken
    2. Click Change channel on the screen that pops up if it shows you are currently using the QCS channel (see below).

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• pjhartman
    pjhartman Member ✭✭
    Anja, I think I need to amend the issue. It's apparently with the Password Vault. It's not remembering anything new stored in it after closing Quicken. After reopening Quicken, new passwords that were stored in the vault (and verified as being stored) are gone, just a few minutes later.
  • pjhartman
    pjhartman Member ✭✭
    I believe it's the Vault because it's also happening on other accounts that get added to the online function.
  • pjhartman
    pjhartman Member ✭✭
    Also, it does not matter what Channel is being used. Result is the same.
  • pjhartman
    pjhartman Member ✭✭
    Update on this. I tried deleting my password vault, closing Quicken, reopening quicken, and then creating a new password vault with a password stored for Chase bank. It seemed to work fine, and showed a password stored in the vault for Chase. I then exited Quicken, waited a few minutes, and then restarted Quicken. The password vault no longer showed any entry for Chase.
  • Quicken Anja
    @pjhartman Thank you for the updates and additional information.

Next, I suggest you create a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. Then, try to Validate your data file in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 9) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

After trying these troubleshooting steps, I'd like to see if it will hold the password(s) in the vault in the copied file. If this does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

Follow the steps below to switch back to your original file
    :
    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• pjhartman
    pjhartman Member ✭✭
    Anja,

I followed the steps you gave above (I used the Super Validate option).

The new copy of the file has the same issue; Chase password stored in the Password Vault disappears after exiting and re-opening Quicken.

Is there any reason that I should not now use the new Super-Validated copy going forward, but instead use the original file?

Thanks,

PJ
  • pjhartman
    pjhartman Member ✭✭
    Anja,

I don't know if this has any significance, but I discovered pretty quickly that the copy of my original file has lost all of the online payees; none appear in the list.

Wondering if this was due to the validation, I went back to my original file, verified that the online payees existed, and went through the copy process again, this time to a new 3rd name.

When opened after the copy, the 3rd file had also lost its online payees.

I've switched back to my original file for now; it still has all of my online payees intact.

Thanks,

PJ
  • Quicken Anja
    @pjhartman Thank you for the update, though I'm sorry to hear that the issue still continues to persist.

Unfortunately, since the previous steps provided have failed thus far, at this point, I would recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support instead, for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

I do apologize for being unable to resolve this for you from here in the Community.

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.