Transactions not showing later than 2018

I have hundreds of transactions up to 2021. When I open quicken, occasionally I see no transactions later than 2018. It has happened twice. The first time I restored from backup, but it looks as if there is a left over filter from some historical search we were doing on the prior open of Quicken. Is there an easy way to fix this without restoring from backup?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    You may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.

If you do not want the register filters to persist when the Quicken file is closed, uncheck the register preference: select Edit > Preferences...

• Bob MacDonald
    Bob MacDonald Member ✭✭
    Thanks Sherlock. My preferences were not set to retain filters. I tried several times to use the rest and nothing changed. All my balances are correct but all transactions are hidden past 2018
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

This other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
  • Bob MacDonald
    Bob MacDonald Member ✭✭
    For what it's worth, I opened a backup file and all the transactions are there. I do not use the cloud things.

The single id is at the moment buggy. I had to sign in several times and was requested to change my password twice. I rarely use the id so maybe I had the first password wrong. The integration of the single id between accounting and community appeared not to recognize me between signons if I used separate computers.

Thanks for the pointer to the generic help. It did not help. I am not missing a week's transactions but two whole years worth of them. I suspect a filter was set to 2018 as my wife researched some issues with the past and it has got stuck. Perhaps there is some code that says if anyone is foolish enough to go back that far in time, then they should stay there! :)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I opened a backup file and all the transactions are there. I do not use the cloud things.

The single id is at the moment buggy. I had to sign in several times and was requested to change my password twice. I rarely use the id so maybe I had the first password wrong. The integration of the single id between accounting and community appeared not to recognize me between signons if I used separate computers.

Thanks for the pointer to the generic help. It did not help. I am not missing a week's transactions but two whole years worth of them. I suspect a filter was set to 2018 as my wife researched some issues with the past and it has got stuck. Perhaps there is some code that says if anyone is foolish enough to go back that far in time, then they should stay there! :)
    Unfortunately, Quicken does synchronize some data in a Quicken file with a cloud account even when we have never enabled Sync and have never selected any accounts to be sync'd.

If the issue was a stuck filter, I would have thought the Copy... in the Copy and Validate instructions would have corrected the issue.
  • Bob MacDonald
    Bob MacDonald Member ✭✭
    Thanks for pointing out the validate file on the file menu. I had not looked here. Next time it happens I will try that as a recovery. We are careful with backups and Quicken seems to open them without any difficulty. I just opened them directly from the backup directory and it restores them to a selected directory.
This discussion has been closed.