How to reinstall Quicken after expiration

2»

Answers

• tri3tsch
    tri3tsch Member ✭✭
    I have not - I just tried what the support chat agent suggested in my previous post and it did not work at all.

Again, to get it back working, I installed the current version and then copied the files from my Program Files (x86)\Quicken on top of that directory and it's again working as it should.

And, I'm done. If it finally breaks, I guess I will just have to renew my subscription. I haven't really found any alternatives that will restore everything I've done over many, many years.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    tri3tsch said:
    Agent finally said to reinstall from old installation files with Internet off and then delay any attempt by Quicken to update when I do reconnect.
    Sherlock said:
    Has anyone tried applying the R30.21 Mondo Patch over the R31 install as a way of rolling back?  It's not an approach I would generally suggest be used when reverting to an earlier release but if it works...

OK I found my old Quicken 2018 install and installed it with the network disconnected to make sure I didn't get the newest updates.  I forgot to check exactly what version that installed, but it was old enough that it was still asking about changing over from the Intuit Id.

Installed the R15.16 patch where my subscription lapsed and that worked fine.
    I installed the R30.21 path and that also worked fine.

Note that doing "Check for updates" says that it can't do it because of the expired subscription, so that might mean that one would be safe from it trying to update to a newer version automatically.

On the subject of downgrading using patches.  I have done it on occasion, but it is in fact risky.  The way those patches are planned are for "adding to" not "subtracting".

And that has been my experience with this.  The links to the installs in the Quicken account and the general page for the new user immediately installs R31.8 even with the network disconnected (it doesn't download it).

And you see what kind of errors I got above when I tried to downgrade with the patches.  It just doesn't work.  You really an old install program like the one you originally installed with.  Or at least one that is before your subscription lapsed.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • > @tri3tsch said:
    > I have not - I just tried what the support chat agent suggested in my previous post and it did not work at all.
    >
    > Again, to get it back working, I installed the current version and then copied the files from my Program Files (x86)\Quicken on top of that directory and it's again working as it should.
    >
    > And, I'm done. If it finally breaks, I guess I will just have to renew my subscription. I haven't really found any alternatives that will restore everything I've done over many, many years.

This works for me. I had the previous version of quicken installed on another PC. So I installed the latest version on my new PC that didn't have quicken. I then copied over the files from the old PC that had the slightly older version of quicken over to the new PC. Everything worked as suggested. thank you very much!
  • tri3tsch
    tri3tsch Member ✭✭
    Great! Glad it worked for you as well.
  • I am now running version R29.2, build 27.1.29.22, build. The release notes indicate that this build is the second build from October 2020. My data files seems to work well with this build.

Thanks again for your help
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    On the subject of downgrading using patches.  I have done it on occasion, but it is in fact risky.  The way those patches are planned are for "adding to" not "subtracting".

Not that it really matters, but just make my mind "rest".  I wanted to clarify what I meant.

They can in fact "substract", but everything is "forward", not "backwards".
    Say you wan to patch from R10.1 to R10.5, the patch works by adding/removing/changing whatever files changed between the two.

And you can chain this kind of operation R10.1 to R10.5 to R11.0, ...

But lets look at that in reverse.  Say I'm at R12.0 and I want to go back to R10.5, and it is important that a file added in R12.0 gets removed.  Nothing in the patch for R10.5 is going to know to remove that file that R12.0 put in.  The same goes for reversing a change to a file that R12.0 put in or if R12.0 removed files that where in the older releases and not changed.

Bottom line is that "older is better" in this case Quicken Inc had to make sure that if someone installed from the very first Quicken Subscription release that they could patch it all the way up to the most recent.  Having the oldest install gives the user the most choices of what patch level to stop at.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
     (Unfortunately, @Chris_CPW has not been preserving the installation programs only the patches.)
    For what it is worth I do have an old install way back to 2018 which should work for almost everyone, but I don't know how Quicken Inc would feel about me making it available for downloading on my website, especially when you consider that back then the install wasn't in a general public link like it is now.

What Quicken Inc should do in put the oldest install for Quicken Subscription on this page too:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

Signature:
  • tri3tsch
    tri3tsch Member ✭✭
    I’m ok as it is now.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    tri3tsch said:
    I’m ok as it is now.
    Understood I'm just feeling in details that will hopefully help anyone one else that comes upon this problem/thread.  And maybe if we are real lucky Quicken Inc will read it and change the procedure so that people don't have to go to these extremes.
    Signature:
  • dcg
    dcg Member
    I agree with several others. A procedure is given at https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has
    But there is a problem with this procedure. You must install Quicken without the latest (or any) updates. And since Quicken does not offer an option to install without updates, you must install Quicken while your internet connection is disabled. Then it is installed with no updates and you can follow the procedure on the referenced link to select an appropriate update and install it manually. QUICKEN SHOULD MODIFY THIS PROCEDURE TO ALLOW YOU TO INSTALL A VERSION OF QUICKEN WITHOUT INSTALLING UPDATES, OR AN OPTION TO INSTALL WITHOUT UPDATES. As is, the procedure doesn't work and Quicken is not providing service as promised in their DATA ACCESS GUARANTEE.