net worth vs balance sheet report investment balance different

When I run the net worth vs balance sheet report for my investment account investment account the balance is different. The balance on the net worth report is correct but the balance sheet is not and both are flagged to show unrealized gains. Also for the balance sheet report I cannot figure how how Quicken is getting to this number based on reviewing the detail of the investment account. Is this a bug or can some help me understand?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @mattmcmatt,

Have you compared the settings for each report - especially the "Accounts" tab to make sure that all accounts are checked AND the "Securities" tab to see that all securities is also checked?  Have you tried to "spot check" or "scan" each line item to pinpoint where the difference(s) may lie?  To do that, I suggest that you open both reports -  side-by-side - and then page down. 

Get back to me with additional info and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• mattmcmatt
    mattmcmatt Member ✭✭
    Hi Frankx, yes I have tried all combinations of accounts, tags and other over and over again. I think this is a bug and I don't have a prior version to compare to and I'm on the latest release. R31.6
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Hello @mattmcmatt

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report your issue, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

Please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are running. This can help narrow down if the issue is related to a specific release.

Since you are dealing with a discrepancy, how large is this discrepancy? Are you able to see anything that could be the cause of this?

It may help to capture a screenshot of the issue so we can better assist in locating the issue.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • mattmcmatt
    mattmcmatt Member ✭✭
    I'm running the latest release R31.8 (as of yesterday and still same issue) and I cannot figure out the discrepancy. As stated above, I have tried all kinds of variation for running the BS and still wrong. Note that the Net Worth report is correct. The balance is off by about $606K.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Hi again @mattmcmatt

I believe that the problem lies with your selection of the "cash basis" as your reporting method and, as a result, the balance sheet does not reflect unrealized gains on investments (and perhaps other accounts).  Or - another possibility is that you have not checked "include unrealized gains" on the "Advanced" tab of one report while the other report settings have it checked.

[EDITED to add last sentence]

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• mattmcmatt
    mattmcmatt Member ✭✭
    Frankx, good idea but that is not the issue. The number stays the same between cash and accrual. Again, I have tried all kinds of variation for running the BS and it's still wrong. Gotta be a bug at this point.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Helo @mattmcmatt

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report your issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

If you have not done so already, I would also recommend navigating to Help > Report a Problem to report this issue.

This report will not receive a direct response but the information will be used for investigative and research purposes.

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • mattmcmatt
    mattmcmatt Member ✭✭
    Hi Tyka, I also did this a few days ago to submit a problem with a screen shot. I'm hoping to get a fix ASAP as I need the Balance Sheet for Taxes.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I opened up a QW2017 version.  Last time I used H&B.  I then pulled up a Balance Sheet report - al accounts, categories, everything.

All accounts matched EXCEPT one investment account that was off by a significant amount.  I wasn't able to chase it far at this time. 

I did create side-by-side Balance Report and Account Balance Report focused to that one account.  I then started varying dates.  Matched at end of 2017, off by some amount end of 2018.  Didn't have time to chase further.

I suggest you take a similar approach down to a day-by day level.  Too bad that Balance Sheet report does not allow you to drill down on the amount.

HTH 
  • mattmcmatt
    mattmcmatt Member ✭✭
    Hi q_lurker, I liked your idea and tried it but on my version, I cannot get them to match and in fact when I get before 2015 the BS gives me a negative balance for this investment account so weird. Someone need to look at the code behind this report and yes a drill down would be Awesome!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past, there were issues with some investing reports when cash transactions had category splits. 

Perhaps that explains what you are seeing.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • mattmcmatt
    mattmcmatt Member ✭✭
    Hi Jim, thanks for the input. I'm looking at all the investment transactions and I don't see any splits nor how you would enter a split on these investment types of transactions. Where would I look or do you have a sample screen shot?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    In a deposit, withdraw, WriteChk or other cash transaction, you can enter a split where you enter the category.

This might be a distribution where tax was withheld for example.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • JoeR1111
    JoeR1111 Member
    edited February 2021
    when I run the net worth report the total net worth does not match the net worth number given at the lower right hand corner of the screen.....I checked....it is off by about 10K.....particularly with my Ameritrade acct.....I clicked on the little magnifying glass next to the (incorrect) Ameritrade balance listed on the Net Worth report -- after a minute or so of gathering the Ameritrade acct holdings and security balances the resulting page's total balance is correct....but the balance in the Net Worth report is off by 10K.....Please advise. JoeR1111 [Removed - Email] thank you.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been reminded that the net worth and balance sheet reports offer a customization that includes "Account Detail".  That option should allow even more focus to specific securities that are different in the two reports.  There exists a suggestion that placeholder (Adjust Share Balance) transactions may no be handled properly or completely in the Balance Sheet Report.
  • mattmcmatt
    mattmcmatt Member ✭✭
    Hi q_lurker, GREAT suggestion as I have never used the Account Detail. Now I see my issue is related to the CASH account on the Balance Sheet report having a negative balance. Note: all the securities are the correct amounts.

Also, NOW I noticed that on the Net Worth Report (with NOT showing unrealized gains) cash amount balance is also wrong too!
  • mattmcmatt
    mattmcmatt Member ✭✭
    FYI, Ran super validate and still not fixed. Call QI 650-250-1900 and opened a ticket.
  • mattmcmatt
    mattmcmatt Member ✭✭
    QI resolved this issue with a patch I think in July 2021
This discussion has been closed.