Can't delete accounts

Options
I am trying to delete 6 accounts that are no longer associated with my QDF file. I have gone to edit and selected delete, and have tried closing the accounts too. I have validated and super validated with no success.

The 6 accounts show 0 balance and 0 entries - I just can't remove them from my account list. I'm running the latest Windows version (2020 R31.8 Build 27.1.31.8).

History: this was a QDF file that had both personal and business uses with downloaded transactions for both. I desired to carve the Quicken file into two instances, one for business and one for personal. I cloned the file, renamed both, and then deleted the accounts that were not wanted in each instance.

All went well and I had two distinct QDF files. However, today when I did a credit card sync on the business side, the personal accounts CAME BACK! (With zero balances, but back none the less.)

I looked in the Online Center and there are no instances of the deleted accounts. Would appreciate any help I can get!

Jon

Answers

• Jon2
    Jon2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Okay, things are even more strange. I just updated the credit card again (there is only one now), using the update icon within the account itself. It just downloaded transactions from two other "phantom" accounts, even though they do not exist in the password vault nor do they have any online services set up.!
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Jon

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I'm wondering what could be causing this if the accounts are deleted. To start off here lets double check to make sure there aren't any hidden accounts that might still have an active download connection. To do this first you'll want to double check by going across the top to tools > Manage Hidden accounts. From there if there are any accounts that are hidden go ahead and uncheck them.

Next you'll want to deactivate and delete the accounts if you'd like I'll leave a link below on how to deactivate them.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

This is a good first step to take to see what we're able to find out. Once you've done this let us know what you're able to find and well see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Jon2
    Jon2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    No hidden accounts nor any Online Services...
  • Jon2
    Jon2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    FWIW - for the two cc accounts that just randomly downloaded, I was able to delete the entries, change the name of the financial institution (in the Account Details pane), and once I did that I was able to delete the accounts. However, the same strategy did not work for the remaining 4 bank accounts.

For these 4 accounts, the General tab only has a name (all other windows are empty.) Online services tab has "Set up now" for Download transactions and Quicken Bill Manager as "No." Display options tab, all are unchecked.

Password Vault only has the two business accounts listed.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I suspect the Quicken files share the same file identifier and therefore the same cloud account.

Before restoring a Quicken file backup (or opening an earlier version of a Quicken file), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @jon

Thanks for the update and also the extra information as well. I think then in this case the next thing we can try is a copy and validate of the file. Once we've done this we can try again to see if we notice any changes. I'll leave the steps down below and you can find it under the third step in the article. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Let us know if you're able to find anything while updating or inside of the data log that gets generated after running the validate.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Jon2
    Jon2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Francisco - there seems to be a lag. I mentioned that I have already validated (and super validated) more than once with no improvement.

Do you have a comment on Sherlock's post? I do see that these two accounts are sharing the same cloud account (even though I do not use web or mobile versions of the software.)

If there is no way to regenerate a cloud key, then I guess I need to manually export the accounts that I use into a new quicken file?
  • Jon2
    Jon2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sherlock - thanks. I created a new Quicken file and exported my accounts over to it. It took a bit of work to configure the Direct Connect and clean up the registers but the old accounts easily deleted and I know now that I have a fresh copy to work with. Wouldn't it be great if Quicken had a "spawn" tool that let you move accounts over to a new Quicken file?

I will do the same with the other Quicken file to make sure that the business side is completely removed. It's funny and a good lesson learned - as I never used the cloud or mobile side I assumed that part didn't apply to me. Never assume!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jon said:
    Sherlock - thanks. I created a new Quicken file and exported my accounts over to it. It took a bit of work to configure the Direct Connect and clean up the registers but the old accounts easily deleted and I know now that I have a fresh copy to work with. Wouldn't it be great if Quicken had a "spawn" tool that let you move accounts over to a new Quicken file?

I will do the same with the other Quicken file to make sure that the business side is completely removed. It's funny and a good lesson learned - as I never used the cloud or mobile side I assumed that part didn't apply to me. Never assume!
    You may want to vote for: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882826/add-option-to-copy-qdf-with-a-new-file-id
  • Jon2
    Jon2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Follow up comment: for those who do the above export, be advised that your memorized addresses, payees, properties, and tenants will not come across to the new file. Additionally, my file was older so my tenant tags were "personal" and I had to completely rebuild the tags to change them over to type "rental property." It took quite a long time to get things working...
This discussion has been closed.