Downloading from foreign accounts? Possible now? Or ever?

Does Quicken have or plan to have multiple country capability, specifically Canada and US? I have accounts in both countries, am a citizen of both countries and occassionally have tax needs in both countries. I have used Quicken for years but the lack of ability to download from foreign accounts is a limitation to smooth handling of all my requirements. Is there a very big audience for this or are 99% of the users single country, in which case I will assume Quicken will never have this capability. I know about the multi currency capability and I use that but that is not a substitute for daily updates of the foreign accounts as it requires going online to each institution and manually updating the info in US Quicken.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well Quicken Inc seldom broadcasts what they are going to do.  My best guess would "not a big audience", "not a priority".

For years Intuit would say that they couldn't do it for some XXX reason, legal, ...

But in fact with Quicken Mac Essentials came out in 2010 it could download from both US and Canadian financial institutions.  And that has been carried on to this day.

So it is certainly "possible", but I doubt that it will ever happen.

Note this is completely different than downloading from other countries.  That is even less likely to happen.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Claire
    Claire Member ✭✭
    That is a pity. I would like to download from my UK and, less importantly, Euro accounts. It is not possible to buy Quicken in the UK so I must use the US version.
    I would also like to be able to view spending on the home screen in different currencies, other than my base currency. I know it is possible to get a report but the home screen is faster to view.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Claire For Quicken to be able to download from ANY Financial Institution, that FI has to sign a contract with Intuit/Quicken to provide such service and must, in almost all cases,  pay a fee to Intuit/Quicken for providing the download service.
    Since Q was unable to establish a foothold in the UK market, and withdrew from the UK several years ago, I strongly suspect that your request is a non-starter. Sorry.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• donpjr
    donpjr Member ✭✭
    That may explain UK but Quicken Canada can download from Canadian bank accounts so whatever agreements and payments are needed must be done. Same as Quicken US does for US banks. But doing both on the same installation of Quicken is not possible. I couldn't even load a separate Canadian version of Quicken years ago on the same computer, it forced choosing one or the other. Frustrating but manageable for many years and there isn't a competitor to Quicken that I know of that solves the problem. I'll continue to live with it.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "But doing both on the same installation of Quicken is not possible."
    That's true for QWin Canada and QWin US, but not for QMac (1 product serves both countries).
    And you can install a 2nd version of QWin if you do so in a separate operating system partition.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• I'm a long time Quicken (currently Windows) user in the US. I have bank and investment accounts in both the US and Canada. I've been maintaining separate QDF files for the two countries. The US QDF uses online access to US institutions. The Canadian QDF file is in Canadian dollars and manually updated. I have some PowerShell scripts and Excel that I use to provide a consolidated US$ view of both countries. (Quicken's limited tools for integrating data between QDF files seems to mean I'm stuck with separate QDF files for the two countries).

I'd like to be able to update the Canadian accounts online. I know from Quicken's website and personal experience that the QDF file formats between the countries are "compatible" but the US version doesn't even show Canadian financial Institutions. 

That makes me wonder about running both on the same PC. Years of Quicken use make me consider Quicken a "fragile" application and hence, not a good one for experimenting or pioneering with.

Has anyone used both applications on the same PC? Can you even install both on the same PC? Then, I'd wonder if there's a Canadian/US combination product.

Mike
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone used both applications on the same PC? Can you even install both on the same PC? Then, I'd wonder if there's a Canadian/US combination product.

Mike
    It isn't possible.

Quicken Windows US and Canadian are "somewhat" the same program.  That is in fact why the QDF file can be opened in both.  Quicken Windows Canadian resides as far as I know as a "branch" of the US version and they merge changes between them.

So they are basically considered the "same program".  So you can't install the same program more than once.  They will share Windows registry settings not to mention global configuration files.  And some of those configuration files are different between the US and Canadian version.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.