Positions Only - Cash Amount

When I update my investment accounts (position only) I'm having problems with the cash balance in the account. First, the cash balance does not download. Second, the prior, manually inserted cash balance is deleted.

Is this a bug or a feature?
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @bkeenan0

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. Generally I believe you should be able to save the manual cash changes but I'm wondering here are you adding it into the cash balance or adding a transaction with the cash? If you could also show a screenshot of the issue as well..  This will help better illustrate the issue a bit better. One also showing any additional settings.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

Once we have a screenshot we'll see what we can find and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• bkeenan0
    bkeenan0 Member ✭✭
    (1) The problem is two-fold. First, the cash amount is not downloading. Second, after manually adding the cash balance, updating deletes the cash balance. Your message did not respond to the first issue.

2) Of what do you want a screenshot? How do I screenshot not downloading the cash balance? How do I screenshot a disappearing cash balance?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bkeenan0 I am speculating here since I am not using the Simple investment tracking feature and I am sure I am not using your FI (financial institution).  

The concept as I understand it is that Quicken forces a match on holdings to your FI rather than matching transactions with your FI.  If your FI says there is no cash in the account, I'd expect Quicken to remove any cash in the account.

So why is the FI saying no cash?  Some do that I understand and it may relate to how they manage MM sweep accounts as well.  That is all something you need to take up with the FI, IMO.  

I agree.  No value in screen shots I can see.  
  • bkeenan0
    bkeenan0 Member ✭✭
    @q_lurker Thank you for your response. I think you are correct, that the issue is at the FI end, not the Quicken end. I will follow up with the FI.

Bryan
  • mjorr8
    mjorr8 Member ✭✭
    Hi, I am having this same issue. Was it ever resolved?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I also see no value in a screenshot, but I do see a value in seeing what is in the OFX log (Help -> Log Files -> OFX Log) and knowing which financial institution this is for.

The account balance should be in the <AVAILCASH> field.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mjorr8
    mjorr8 Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW - I just looked in the OFX log file you referenced. I see the cash balance for these accounts (the FI is BNY Pershing) and they show up like this:

<DESC>Value of Money Market Funds</DESC>
    <BALTYPE>DOLLAR</BALTYPE>
    <VALUE>5310.57</VALUE>

Does this mean anything to you? These are the "cash balances" I am missing, and Quicken is not setting up the Money Market Fund as it's own security, which would also work?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well that explains it.  Here is a section on that in the OFX spec.

In other words this isn't the "cash balance".  It is a a balance of your money market fund.

Signature:
  • mjorr8
    mjorr8 Member ✭✭
    I agree but why does Quicken not recognize it as a security then? It’s completely omitted from the display and account total.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mjorr8 said:
    I agree but why does Quicken not recognize it as a security then? It’s completely omitted from the display and account total.
    Because it isn't reported as a security, only a "arbitrary" balance.
    Here is how a mutual fund security is reported normally.
                <MFINFO>
                    <SECINFO>
                        <SECID>
                            <UNIQUEID>922908769
                            <UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP
                        </SECID>
                        <SECNAME>VANGUARD TOTAL STOCK MARKET ETF
                        <TICKER>VTI
                        <UNITPRICE>217.15
                        <MEMO>Price as of date based on closing price
                    </SECINFO>
                    <MFTYPE>OPENEND
                </MFINFO>

I think this going to be a very hard nut to crack, and something they just didn't anticipate when they created the simple investment mode.

I suppose they could report all the balances they find, but there isn't anything stopping the financial institution from send margin balances and other such, which then if they added them in it would be wrong.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.