Thanks for Windows Quicken R31.5 updates

Chris_QPW
Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
There are some in there that people have been asking for, for years, and it really nice to see them.

I really like the fact that you can now set the reconcile status and deleted multiple investing transactions at a time.  And I think a lot of people will really love the fact that changing of the registry fonts now affects the investment accounts.

And it might "small" but having the scrollbars all have a consistent/up to date look is something I have really wanted for a long time.
Signature:
This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Comments

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Yes, Those are nice additions
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    BTW I'm sort of "half in, half out" on the Search/filters changes on in the non investment accounts.
    • I like the bigger search text box.
    • I like the idea of being able to hide the filter, but only so that it would take up one less line giving to to the register.  With it hiding, but the Search still there and as such no more space then the only thing you get is "decluttered", but that is very subjective.  And with the filters hidden that will be one more step we have to tell users if they have set those filters in a way that they think transactions aren't really in their account.
    In my opinion "Search" is a filter, after all when you use it, it will filter out any transactions that doesn't match.  So I think it should be hidden too when the Filters are "collapsed".  And it would be nice if that was done in a way that the space if freed up for the register.

But please don't take that the wrong way I thank you for all the nice changes.
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why they came up with this new mechanism for multiple selection of investment transactions. It would have been more intuitive to implement the usual shift-click and ctrl-click used elsewhere.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why they came up with this new mechanism for multiple selection of investment transactions. It would have been more intuitive to implement the usual shift-click and ctrl-click used elsewhere.
    I'm quite sure why they did that.  When I look at the investment register with tools like Spy, and some of the "screen readers" it is clear that it is very complicated mix of GUI components.  It is for sure one of the reasons it gets slow when there is a lot of transactions and there are "focus problems" and such.

So in other words any changes in the "register" itself are very complicated and error prone.  So instead they make another (easier to implement) interface to get to the database and change it.  You will notice they did the same thing for "move transactions".
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I liked what I read in the release notes.  I think one of these days I should update if I could figure out a stable release since mine has been solid if you can believe it (if it ain't broke, why fix it)!
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This release certainly has a lot of changes in response to longstanding user requests.

I like that they changed "Ignore" back to "Skip" for Reminders. 

Also the Help has been given a much-needed face lift, and the Search in Help now links to online product support articles and selected Community posts in addition to the in-product content.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken SangeethaS
    Quicken SangeethaS Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for the feedback. Glad to hear that you like what's new in R31. :) 
  • Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
    "Restart" to see scroll bar changes? Restart Quicken or the computer? I don't see any differences.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fletch200 said:
    "Restart" to see scroll bar changes? Restart Quicken or the computer? I don't see any differences.
    There have been several R31.xx updates....
    what version do you have ..... Help --> About Quicken ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I'm using the latest R31.12, and I can't tell the difference in scroll bar behavior. I've restarted Quicken, but not the laptop.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    mrzookie said:
    I'm using the latest R31.12, and I can't tell the difference in scroll bar behavior. I've restarted Quicken, but not the laptop.
    The behavior was never suppose to change, that was the bug introduced in R31.5.
    As in scrolling too many lines at a time.

It is the appearance that changes.  The old is Windows XP style.  The new is Windows 10 style.  You will notice that all the other scrollbars in Quicken were already Windows 10 style.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. Fully expect them to remove this option in the future and just use the Windows 10 style once they are sure the behavior is correct.

Old:

New:

Signature:
  • Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks! I see now. Much more subtle than I was expecting. I'm on 31.12. Given the notes I saw in prior releases about problems in the initial rollout, I was thinking a more significant change was at play.

Since they're tinkering with subtle look-n-feel items now, how about Dark Mode :)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Fletch200 said:
    Since they're tinkering with subtle look-n-feel items now, how about Dark Mode :)
    They have said that they are considering adding a Dark Mode, but there isn't anything "subtle" about it.  It is a massive code change.  The coloring for a program like Quicken is spread out all over the code/GUI controls.
    Signature:
  • Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I can TOTALLY get the impact and amount of widespread legacy code that they'd have to touch. The Windows codebase is just over 25 years old now I think. Maybe they'll be able to start with the pieces that are used the most.

I'd also settle for better font selection. I'm 'getting by' with large font for now. Ideally you'd be able to choose fonts for each view type.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Fletch200 said:
    I'd also settle for better font selection. I'm 'getting by' with large font for now. Ideally you'd be able to choose fonts for each view type.
    Well at least they just changed this start in R31.5:
    • Improved: For users of our investment level products, changes made to Register preferences, appearance, and fonts will now apply to both the banking Register and the investment Register.
    Signature:
  • Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I saw that, and thought I remembered that specific issue - even thought I'd seen it before. But I don't recall the OMG moment that I would have expected the next time I was processing downloaded transactions. Maybe in large font mode that problem did not exist. Either way, that change IS appreciated.

Now, if the font in the Account Bar would honor the same, I might be able to switch away from Large Font mode.
This discussion has been closed.