Issues encountered after restoring a Backup

famar01
famar01 Member ✭✭
Hello, community,
Recently, a couple of accounts in my Quicken file became corrupted. I asked a few questions to the community trying to avoid using a restore action, but eventually, I had to hit the restore button. I picked the latest backup file that I was certain did not include the corrupted records. The file was a month earlier. Once the restore function completed I found the following issues:
(1) Several accounts were not able to connect to the bank for downloading transactions. Each of these accounts (about 20 with a mix of banks and investment firms) needed to be deactivated and reactivated.
(2) When reactivating an account, most of the time Quicken tried to create a new account. I had to be careful not the click the "Next" button too quickly. I needed to "Link" to an existing account.
(3) Because I had multiple accounts with each bank, Quicken was not smart enough to allow me to link all of the accounts at once. I had to deactivate and reactivate one account at-a-time. This was frustrating because I had 12 accounts with Bank of America alone (mine, my wife's, and minor children).
(4) The worst issue (this is the issue I need help from the community with) is that certain accounts started transferring money to themselves instead of the intended account. For example, I have a transfer of $100 from the HSBC Savings account to the HSBC Checking account. Quicken shows that HSBC Saving transferred $100 to itself, and HSBC Checking shows that it transferred 100 to itself. Of course, I can correct one transaction (say inside the HSBC checking account), but now I have two entries in the HSBC Savings account since Quicken does not connect the dots well. Since I make several transfers between accounts each week, this becomes a problem that grows exponentially.

Note 1: This issue did not just happen after the initial download of transactions after the restore action. This is now a feature within my account.
Note 2: This issue should be identified as a bug in Quicken. Under what scenario, a person transfer money within the same account? At a minimum, one would need to take the money out and deposit it back but not electronically transfer it within a single account.

Can you help?

I am running Quicken for Windows, Version R30.21, Build 27.1.30.21 on Windows 10 Pro platform.

Answers

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    You should also be aware that if you changed any address (that you send checks to) in the month that you had to restore you will have to updated that address again or the check will go to a prior address.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

This other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
  • famar01
    famar01 Member ✭✭
    Dear all,
    Thank you for your contributions. I believe that there are a lot of lessons learned within the community, but they are not shared with everyone. I feel that my experience restoring from a back up is shared by other people. Perhaps Quicken staff can build a database of lessons-learned for common topics like backup and restore, archive, transfer of investment transactions, etc.
    Kind Regards,
  • famar01
    famar01 Member ✭✭
    Recently, when I perform a download, Quicken assigns the same account as the account being updated for transferred money. For example, if I transfer $100 from account A to account B, Quicken will show a withdrawal transfer of $100 from account A to account A in the account A register, and a deposit transfer of $100 from account B to account B in the account B register. This happened after I performed a restore from a backup (perhaps just a coincidence).

Your help is greatly appreciated.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @famar01

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a follow-up response.

To help me better understand what could be happening, could you please clarify if this issue occurring just once or with every download? Are you able to edit the transfer transaction or is it being changed after you have edited it?

Last, how do you deal with downloaded transactions? Do you review them or are they automatically entered into the register?

If they are automatically entered without begin review, I would take a look at the information available here

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • famar01
    famar01 Member ✭✭
    Hello Tyka. This is a permanent feature now. It happens with every download for all my accounts.
This discussion has been closed.