Wells Fargo giving duplicate entries

I enter online payments in Quicken then update the Wells Fargo checking account to pass them on. When the update is complete the entries show in the Quicken account with newly assigned check numbers. However (apparently for those payments which will be physically mailed by Wells Fargo) as the due date approaches a new duplicate entry shows up in the Quicken account with a check number "Sent". I believe the idea is that Wells Fargo has mailed the check but it has not been deposited by the payee yet. However long after the due dates, the duplicates remain in my Quicken account and the "Sent" is not changed back to the issued check number. I have to remove the duplicates myself, including entering the check numbers. This gives me incorrect balances and is driving me crazy. A couple of sessions with Quicken phone support have had no effect on this problem.

Answers

• richuser155
    richuser155 Member ✭✭
    I write checks in Quicken with the Online Bill Pay box checked. When I select from the list of Online Payees none of the information stored is entered into the check areas -- address, memo or account number, category or split. If I click on Edit Address, the information seems to be there but I have to do that to confirm that it is there and that the current bill has not changed a payment address or anything else. After exhausting sessions with Quicken phone support this has not been solved. Even deleting a payee completely and restarting does not solve the problem (as if I would want to delete and re-enter every one of my saved payees!) The phone support exhausted every trick they had but the bottom line is that this is not working properly. I have used Quicken for years and this is a relatively new problem.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @richuser155

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

May I ask how you handle downloaded transactions? Do the transactions download right into the register?

If so, I would review the information available here, to review the transaction prior to being entered into the register so that you may match transactions to avoid duplicates.

Please let me know if this helps!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • richuser155
    richuser155 Member ✭✭
    Separate from this, I had another question which is now listed as: Merged: Online payee information not shown as checks written but I got no answer and cannot find it "merged" anywhere.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @richuser155

Thank you for the response, the two discussions were initially merged together. It would appear that these seemed to be duplicate questions so one response was removed.

I was able to locate the comment and replace it here on this post. However, it has been some time since the question was asked. I would post a new question for better visibility if you are still needing help.

I apologize for the confusion.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • richuser155
    richuser155 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the response. The first question had to do with how Quicken is interacting with Wells Fargo once an online payment has been created in Quicken and sent to them.

Online payee information not shown as checks written
    The second question concerns the act of creating the online payment within Quicken. First I open the Wells Fargo checking account and open the Write Checks window with the Use Online Billpay checked. Then I select a memorized Online Payee for whom I have memorized a transaction in the past. The payee name comes up but the rest of the details do not: the address, the category, the memo, etc. I must manually click on Edit Address, which shows the address, account number and phone. But it does not show or fill in the category and memo which I have to enter manually. These manual steps defeats the purpose of memorized transactions. I have deleted some and reentered them but that does not solve the problem.

I have posted this as : Writing online checks does not fill in memorized transaction data.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @richuser155

Thank you for the response and the additional details, I apologize that you did not receive a response for either of your questions. As for the duplicate transactions in your first question, I have seen a few reports of this in the Community however, I have not seen any solutions other than to remove the duplicate transaction that is created.

As for your second question, the online payees are used for sending online payments and do not contain information on the category that is used. While these can be selected when writing a check, it would be best to create a memorized payee.

If you have not done so already, I would navigate to Tools > Memorized Payee List and ensure that there is a memorized payee for the payee and check-in question.

I hope this helps to clarify!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.