Paycheck Wizard

Can you add a paycheck wizard to the Mac version similar to the one available in Windows?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2021
    @soundtek86 Since I'm a Mac-only user, perhaps you can explain what added functionality the Windows paycheck wizard has over the Quicken Mac approach. In Quicken Mac, you create a paycheck deposit for the net pay amount, with split lines for gross pay and each deduction; then you schedule that transaction for whatever frequency you get paid (biweekly, bimonthly, weekly, etc.). When values change for one paycheck, I edit the values for that one transaction; when they change for the future, I edit the scheduled transaction. I've never had a problem entering my paychecks this way in Quicken Mac. What do you feel we're missing in Quicken Mac that the Windows wizard does better?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Riveranet
    Riveranet Member ✭✭
    The problem may not be Mac vs Windows. I think Quicken may have removed the Paycheck Wizard. You can still enter it as a split transaction but without the benefit of adding pre-tax/post-tax deductions and having it distribute amounts accordingly.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Probably the biggest (perhaps only) advantage of the Paycheck Wizard is that it subtotals the various types of line items in the paycheck.
    So there's a subtotal for Earnings, a subtotal for Pre-tax deductions, a subtotal for post-tax deductions and a subtotal for Taxes.
    Depending upon the arrangement of one's paycheck, it makes eyeball verification of the amounts pretty easy.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    Riveranet said:
    The problem may not be Mac vs Windows. I think Quicken may have removed the Paycheck Wizard. You can still enter it as a split transaction but without the benefit of adding pre-tax/post-tax deductions and having it distribute amounts accordingly.
    Quicken Mac has never had a paycheck wizard; nothing has been removed. 

You can enter as many split lines as you have deductions. Deductions can be pre- or post-tax; the category you apply the deduction to is what matters. I'm not sure what you mean about it "distributing amounts accordingly."

I enter each of our paychecks with split lines in the order they appear on the paycheck stubs, which I find makes it pretty easy to spot changes and change split line amounts accordingly. The subtotals on the Windows version sound like they might be useful to some, but neither my paycheck nor my wife's, now or in the past, subtotaled deductions in that way on the pay stubs, so I'm not sure how helpful I'd find that.

Bottom line: I think most people find it quite easy to enter paychecks in Quicken Mac, even though there's no 'wizard' like the Windows version.

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    Probably the biggest (perhaps only) advantage of the Paycheck Wizard is that it subtotals the various types of line items in the paycheck.
    So there's a subtotal for Earnings, a subtotal for Pre-tax deductions, a subtotal for post-tax deductions and a subtotal for Taxes.
    Depending upon the arrangement of one's paycheck, it makes eyeball verification of the amounts pretty easy.
    One additional feature if the "Wizard" is the ability to handle the employer match for a 402k contribution. The wizard works in the background to get the match entered in the 401k account without distorting the gross pay and taxable income values.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• TRMonge
    TRMonge Member ✭✭
    Can I use Quicken for Mac in the same way that I used Quicken for Mac 2007
  • jacobs
    TRMonge said:
    Can I use Quicken for Mac in the same way that I used Quicken for Mac 2007
    @TRMonge  I don't know if you're asking about creating a paycheck entry (the answer, in that case is yes) or about the program in general (the answer in these case would take at least 10,000 words, and is the subject of many other threads on this forum).
  • TRMonge
    TRMonge Member ✭✭
    Yes I want to be able to write checks in Quicken for Mac 2021 . is that possible???
  • jacobs
    @TRMonge  This thread is not about writing checks. The short answer is, yes, you can print checks in Quicken Mac. If you have questions about how to do so, please start a new topic by clicking here to go to the category page, and clicking the blue Ask A Question button near the top of the page.
This discussion has been closed.