Missing Transactions Until Reconcile

I'm running Quicken Home Business & Rental Property 2020 for Windows, and for the past week or two have been having the following issue:

1. I use One Step Update, which successfully connects to and downloads transaction for multiple accounts.

2. After matching/entering all transactions, I start to reconcile the account, but the balances do not match.

3. After carefully comparing my Quicken register to my online transactions, I notice that there are (generally) 2-4 transactions which have cleared my account online, but do not show up as downloaded transactions to match and show up automatically as cleared.

4. I manually mark the transactions as cleared and select "Done" on the reconcile window.

5. I run One Step Update or Cloud Sync again, and the transactions which were missing in step 3 now appear. I've tried syncing multiple times, and at different points in this process and they will not show up until after I reconcile.

6. Now that the transactions show up, the actual transactions to which they should be matched are already marked as Reconciled.

7. I manually mark the matching register entries as Uncleared, allowing me to match the transactions which now appear.

8. I reconcile as normal.

At this point, there are no more transactions and everything is fine until a day or two has passed, and the entire process repeats again.

This has happened on multiple checking and credit card accounts (Bank of America, Quicken, American Express, etc.) so does not appear to be specific to one bank.

It is VERY inconvenient to have to do it this way, and frankly, it would be easier to track the balance in a paper register than to have to constantly compare transaction lists to see what has cleared and what hasn't. >:)

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @LNafziger

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize in the issue you're having. That is odd I'm wondering where exactly the issue is. I believe in this case it might help trying to see on a test file if we have a similar issue. This will give us a better idea of where exactly the issue is. I'll leave steps down below and you can find it on the third step on the article.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Once you get the chance let us know what you're able to find out. From there we'll see what we able to find next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the accounts in question set up with EWC (Express Web Connect)?
    If so, what you are describing sounds like a timing issue which is pretty common with EWC downloads.   With EWC, the aggregator connects with the FIs (Financial Institutions) at night and a static snapshot of the balances and posted transactions is downloaded to the aggregator.  When we do OSU the next day, then, we are downloading from the aggregator server those balances and posted transactions from the night before.  Then if we try to compare what is in Quicken and what is in the online account we will find that they appear to be out of sync because the FI will have posted new transactions and new account balances that were not just downloaded into Quicken.
    These timing issues do cause the reconciling issues you describe.  This is not a Quicken issue.  It is an issue with trying to correlate a static financial record (what was downloaded into Quicken from the night before) with a dynamic financial record (what is reflected in the real time online account).
    Since this is a timing issue and not an actual data integrity issue, it will almost always self resolve within 12-24 hrs.
    The only way to eliminate this issue that I know of is to upgrade the connection method from EWC to DC (Direct Connect).  Unfortunately, some FIs do not support DC and some of those that do will charge you a monthly fee for the "privilege"  of using it.  But if your FIs support DC you might want to seriously consider upgrading your connection method to it as it is superior to EWC.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• LNafziger
    LNafziger Member ✭✭
    Well, until recently, this had never happened before, and the main issue is that AS SOON as I reconcile and OSU again, the "missing" transactions appear. I don't have to wait 12-24 hours, and no matter what I do before completing the reconcile (multiple OSU's) they will not show up.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @LNafziger

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize in the issue you're having. That is odd I'm wondering where exactly the issue is. I believe in this case it might help trying to see on a test file if we have a similar issue. This will give us a better idea of where exactly the issue is. I'll leave steps down below and you can find it on the third step on the article.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Once you get the chance let us know what you're able to find out. From there we'll see what we able to find next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Scott McCauley
    Scott McCauley Member ✭✭✭
    I have the EXACT SAME problem described by the OP. It's been happening a few weeks now, I believe. It would be nice to see a fix!
  • LNafziger
    LNafziger Member ✭✭
    So, upgrading from Web Connect to Direct Connect seems to have fixed the problem in each of the accounts, but it still shouldn't have been doing it in the first place.
  • I have never had a problem, until recently. I can also confirm that over the last week or two this has been happening. I think it is a new bug.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Tigger Trainer

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community although, I apologize that you haven't received a response.

We will need a bit more information to be able to assist. Please take a moment to review the information here and post it back with the year and version of Quicken, you are currently running.

Lastly, please Choose the Tools menu in the upper left then select Account List. Click Edit next to your account, then choose the Online Services tab at the top and provide the connection type being used.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.