During Backup, Budget Completely Disappeared

bmbass
bmbass Member ✭✭
I just updated my budget for 2021 and was doing a backup (Ctrl-B) and during the backup I received a message saying there were no budgetable items and when the backup completed, my entire budget was gone. I exited Quicken and restarted and on the budget tab, it now says to start a new budget and ALL my previous budgets are GONE. I looked online and found that MANY people have had this problem over many years, so it seems to be a major bug that has never been fixed. I have done a validate and super validate and no errors were found, but I also no longer have a budget. [Removed-Rant/Disruptive]
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @bmbass

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Being that the issue you are experiencing can have multiple causes-- It may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish and set up what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @bmbass

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

Please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are running.

May I ask that you also please take a moment to review the steps and information available here and confirm the location of the data file? Is the file stored on the hard drive or the cloud drive?

Storing the file in a cloud drive may cause the issues you have described.

Please let us know!

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • bmbass
    bmbass Member ✭✭
    Thanks Tyka, here is my information:

Quicken subscription, year 2020, version R30.14, build 27.1.30.14

Quicken Data File is stored on a hard drive on the computer that runs the program, in the \My Documents\Quicken Data\ folder.

Under Preferences\Mobile & Web I have Sync turned OFF.

Under Schedule Updates\Sync Quicken Cloud the check box is UNCHECKED.

So, I believe I only have a hard drive version of my data file and am not syncing to the cloud in anyway.

Brian
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @bmbass

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Being that the issue you are experiencing can have multiple causes-- It may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish and set up what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• Chaka
    Chaka Member
    Hi Brian - was this resolved for you? I just realized today that my budget is gone too, but I am not sure when it happened - just in the last few months. Very frustrating...
  • bmbass
    bmbass Member ✭✭
    Chaka - No, I have not resolved the missing budget yet. I will be contacting Quicken Support and see what they suggest.
  • RickQuick
    RickQuick Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    [removed - unhelpful/disruptive]
    Frequently frustrated Quicken user since 1996
  • Joseph Hanna
    Joseph Hanna Member ✭✭✭✭
    This has been happening for years.  I now backup often (daily).  When I lose my budget, I restore the most recent backup.  Sometimes I need to restore the backup multiple times to get the budget back.
    Unfortunately I sometimes need to re-enter transactions that were not included in the most recent backup.
  • benduncan21
    benduncan21 Member ✭✭
    I opened Quicken the other day, and my budget information completely disappeared. This is very frustrating. Is there a way to restore this. I have heard this has happened to others. This is not really acceptable, and needs to be fixed.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Please restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.

2) Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If you answer "no" to both, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.

If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    2. Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    2. Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

• benvwcc
    benvwcc Member
    Same thing happened to me today..  Thankfully all my budget information is still in the system - Planning > Budgets > *new option for 2020 or 2021
      My budget is now stuck in 2020!  Quicken has created a new budget for me under 2021 that is complete trash.  Working to find a way to delete it and move my real budget under the 2021 tab. 
      Duplicating the budget did not solve the problem...
      Such a waste of time
  • LarBear360
    LarBear360 Member ✭✭
    Yup, me too. ALL of my budgets are gone. Must have been gone for quite sometime as I back-up every day and so far I've gone back a week and the data is GONE! I'm not going back any further in search of the budget. I can't spend the time trying to re-build hundreds of transactions. How frustrating.

I'll be searching for a new program very soon. May as well start off the new year with something that actually works.
This discussion has been closed.