Investment account(s) instability...

Snowman
Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
Quicken R31.12, Build 27.1.31.12. Windows 10 20H2, OS Build 19042.476.  I entered transactions into Quicken and then validated my file.  An account index was rebuilt (it did not say which) no action needed.  I validated the file a second time and a category was removed (no indication of what category.  I had to go back and restore my 1-31-2021 backup file as all the the files from 2/1/2021 to 2/08/2021 produced the same errors.

I restored the 1-31-2021 file and downloaded all of my credit card, bank transactions with no problems.  The file validated OK.  I saved a backup of the file. 

Now I had to redo my January investment statements (which I do manually) of which there are three.  I tried to do investment account #1.  I was entering a stock purchase and when I pressed Enter, all of the transactions disappeared.

I attempted to validate the file and it was corrupted.  I renamed that file and restored from the backup I had made before I started on the investment accounts.  This time I started with Investment account #2.  Again while entering a stock sale Quicken just quit.

I attempted to validate that file and it too was corrupted.  Rename file and restore again from the backup.  I tried starting with investment account #3 this time.  Again when I pressed enter for a sale transaction all of the transactions disappeared. (see first screen shot)

Restored again.  This time investment account #1 reconciled normally.  Backed up the account, then validated OK.  Repeated with investment account #2, transactions disappeared.  Restore backup then account #2 reconciled OK.  Then investment account #3 reconciled OK.  This took 3 hours this morning.

What is going on to cause this?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Before restoring a Quicken file backup (or opening an earlier version of a Quicken file), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts and enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue but, for now, before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock, I am unable to comply with the instructions since there is no place on the Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts screen to Edit the dataset name.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:
    Sherlock, I am unable to comply with the instructions since there is no place on the Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts screen to Edit the dataset name.

To view or delete a cloud account, you need to enable sync: select Edit > Preferences...

Select OK.  Then, select Edit > Preferences...

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is a real pain since I've had to restore a backup 3 times in the last month.  To have to go through this each time?!?

So what does having to do all of this have to do with my investment account issue?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:
    This is a real pain since I've had to restore a backup 3 times in the last month.  To have to go through this each time?!?

So what does having to do all of this have to do with my investment account issue?
    Until Quicken resolves the issue, I don't know of a better option.

Regarding the investment account issue, it may be unrelated but a bad sync may corrupt a Quicken file.

Generally, the best way to recover from any change to the Quicken file is to restore a backup: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    I do not see how a bad sync can cause the issue is sync is turned off.  I enter all transactions into the investment accounts manually.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:
    I do not see how a bad sync can cause the issue is sync is turned off.  I enter all transactions into the investment accounts manually.
    Quicken will sync some data with the Quicken Cloud even when we have never enabled sync and have never selected accounts to synchronize.  If you require proof, select Help > Log Files and Cloud Sync Log
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't need proof,  anyway many years ago I signed up on Quicken.com to see my investment information which I ended up never really using.

(Edit>Preferences>Investing.Quicken.com portfolio.) 

I have cleared all selections in that preference so that no investment accounts are selected.  My goal is I only want the investment prices updated along with bank and credit card transactions.  Does this do that?

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:
    I didn't need proof,  anyway many years ago I signed up on Quicken.com to see my investment information which I ended up never really using.

(Edit>Preferences>Investing.Quicken.com portfolio.) 

I have cleared all selections in that preference so that no investment accounts are selected.  My goal is I only want the investment prices updated along with bank and credit card transactions.  Does this do that?

The preference settings regarding uploading to Investing.Quicken.com have nothing at all to with having investment prices updated along with bank and credit card transactions.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK so how do I stop the uploading to Investing.Quicken.com?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:
    OK so how do I stop the uploading to Investing.Quicken.com?
    Un-check that selection [x] at the bottom of One Step Update

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have already done that it does not seem to have an effect.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever "sync" it is doing is screwing the investment accounts up.  This morning when I validated the file there were over 100 transactions listed that were "missing".  (This is the same issue that forced me to reenter all of my data from 12/2019 to 12/2020 back in December)  The same file that I validated OK yesterday the last time I used Quicken.  Some of those transaction I entered just a couple of days ago.  This is a very serious BUG.  The only thing I did this morning that was out of the ordinary was add to credit card accounts, Macy's and Nordstrom's.

I restored that file from yesterday, I validated it and it was OK.  Now I have to go through this whole process again.  I think any normal person would be sick and tired of this.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Update... I restored the account.  Did a one step update.  Entered the transactions from the update and the file validated the file OK.  Added the Nordstrom credit card account validated and the file was corrupted again.  Same list of transactions from the investment accounts.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a transaction limit for the number of investment transactions?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no hard limit to the number of investment transactions, but things slow down for accounts that have many thousands of transactions.

You can see the number of transactions in each account by going to Tools > Account list.  Click on Options at the bottom of the list and select Number of transactions to enable that column if it is not already displayed.

Where is your data file located? It should be on a local hard drive, not on a network drive or a cloud drive like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. If you use OneDrive or Google Drive, make sure the folder where your data file is stored is NOT enabled for synching.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information.  The data file is on drive C which is a Samsung SSD. I have 4 investment account but only 3 are active.  I stopped using the 4th account in 2/2019.  For the active accounts the Cash side has a total of  3,481. The investment account side has a total of 740.  That is the active accounts.  The inactive account has 4,812 in the cash portion and 1,071 in the investment register.  I do have one credit card account that has over 14,000 transactions in it.  The other credit card accounts (active and inactive) have about 10,000 combined and the bank accounts (active and inactive) have another roughly 10,000 transactions combines.