How does the Quicken app work on Apple Ipad Air 4th Generation

I am running Win 10 & Quicken premier 2020 and have Quicken installed on my Microsoft Laptop. I am considering buying an Apple Ipad Air 4 th generation . Can anyone tell me their experience on whether the Quicken App on Apple I pads works compared to running the program on Win laptop? Thank you

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken iPad/Web apps are companions to the desktop version. They cannot be used stand alone.  It's a view into your finances, but marginally useful for day-to-day activity.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @jjrichards  A 4th generation iPad is a more than 8 year-old iPad, so that's pretty old technology at this point. Nonetheless, the Quicken mobile app still works on an iPad running iOS 9.0 or greater. So as long as your iPad is updated to run iOS 9 or 10 (10 is the latest version of iOS that model can run), it should be fine for the time being. (Just know that it's likely at some point in the future that they will raise the requirement to iOS 11 and up as they drop support for older 32-bit operating systems; we have no idea when that will happen -- but it's inevitable.) 

But you should understand that the Quicken App is a companion application to a desktop Quicken application; it is not a replacement or substitute for desktop Quicken. The Quicken App allows you to sync data between the app and your desktop Quicken, but you must have desktop Quicken has your "home base". While the app is pretty capable, it cannot do all the things the desktop program can do.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    I was planning on purchasing the latest Ipad Air , I thought it was 4th generation . Sounds like since the feedback is the app is limited I still need the desktop version . When we can start traveling again I was hopeful if I did purchase the Ipad Air I would not have to take my laptop plus Ipad , however sounds like I do . Thanks for the response
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    If you have a smartphone - you can install the Quicken Mobile App on your smartphone - and see how it works in conjunction with your desktop mothership of data.
    Not sure if the Quicken App adjusts what it displays and makes avail between the small screen smartphone, and the larger screen tablet.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I was planning on purchasing the latest Ipad Air , I thought it was 4th generation . Sounds like since the feedback is the app is limited I still need the desktop version . When we can start traveling again I was hopeful if I did purchase the Ipad Air I would not have to take my laptop plus Ipad , however sounds like I do . Thanks for the response
    Sorry, you're correct. The 2020 iPad Air is considered the 4th generation Air. I was incorrectly referring to the 4th generation iPad (2012); the iPad is currently on the 8th generation models, while the iPad Air is on 4th generation models.

While you will still need Quicken on your Windows machine, you may find the mobile add can do enough that it is suitable for when you travel -- ah, travel sounds nice! ;) -- and are away from your desktop Quicken. If all depends on what features you use in Quicken, and what would be missing if you used the mobile app for an extended tie away. Since we all use Quicken so differently, it's hard to tell you what it will or won't do suitably for you; the best advice is to try it and see if it fulfills your needs or not.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I am considering buying an Apple iPad Air 4th generation .
    BTW - just checked on our iPhone and iPad - same screen displays of same info.
    FYI... the App runs as a robot proxy with the Quicken Cloud accessing your accounts behind the scenes.  So, your data is accessed directly using your stored User IDs and passwords - therefore the data you are viewing in the App is real time and not just a shadow of what your desktop data looked like the last time you did a Sync.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the response. I just run Quicken and update / download my bank transactions, credit card transactions , and my brokerage accounts. I do have the mobile app on my Iphone never really have used it .
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
     I do have the mobile app on my Iphone never really have used it .
    What I suggest you do is use it for awhile and see if you could make do with that when you travel.  With an iPad there is more display area so it will be easier to use, but the basics will be the same.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.