There was recently an update to Quicken that altered how OSU functions

Options
The OSU (One Step Update) now takes much longer to complete.  Intentional?

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    DaveM said:
    R31.12 now onboard - though I've hitched on to this issue, my problem, as seen above, is slightly different, though I suspect related. With the 31.8 update, three banks, Chase, Citi and Comenity - all credit cards, simultaneously "disappeared" from OSU. All say in vault password "not required", although it was required previously. None download - just say "waiting" until the window times out. I'm now entering all transactions manually - like the old, old days..
    What you describe is what would be expected if your Connection Channel (think "routing") has been migrated from FDS to QCS and not because of any revision update.  FDS has been the historical Connection Channel for QWin.  QCS has been the Connection Channel for QMac.  QWin users are being gradually migrated from FDS to QCS and at some point QCS will likely be the only Connection Channel available.  You can read the Q-Zette article here which summarizes this change:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7881572/whats-happening-in-the-quicken-community-october-20-edition.
    You can confirm which Connection Channel you are set up with by Fn+F4+About Quicken. 
    If you are set up with QCS there are a couple of things you can do to fix your OSU issues:
    1)  You can try switching back to FDS and see if that fixes your download issues but you will eventually be migrated back to QCS, again.  So, at best, it will be a temporary fix.
    2)  You can stay with QCS and try to fix your account setups .  Usually, fixing the setups will fix the OSU issues.  (This is the path I ended up taking.)
    You can read more about these two options at https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20155735#Comment_20155735.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• DaveM
    DaveM Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have same issue. R 31.8 disabled OSU for Citi, Chase and Comenity credit cards all at same time. I noticed in the vault that stored passwords for these banks were deleted and replaced with the statement "Not required". Update of these accounts generates "Waiting" status then OSU exits. Resetting accounts has no effect.
  • johnodrake
    johnodrake Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have not experienced that and I have all three of those vendor's cards.  

I timed the OSU this morning and the process took 0:03:45.  It used to take about a minute before R31.8  (This included the Two Factor Authentication for NFCU)
  • mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mine is taking forever now. 15-20 minutes now to complete. Horrible.
  • mbajorek
    mbajorek Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm having the same issue since the update yesterday. OSU took 5 to 10 minutes. It took less than one minute previously. I actually thought OSU was frozen the first two attempts and used Task Manager to close Quicken, before looking for solutions online.
  • johnodrake
    johnodrake Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Having to use task manager to close Quicken in order to get out of OSU is an annoyance.  All dialog should have a cancel function available.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @johnodrake

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue and for your feedback.

If you are still running the R31.8 version, I would recommend installing the most recent update to see if this corrects the issue.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • johnodrake
    johnodrake Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always run the latest version available.  Currently R 31.12
  • DaveM
    DaveM Member ✭✭
    Options
    R31.12 now onboard - though I've hitched on to this issue, my problem, as seen above, is slightly different, though I suspect related. With the 31.8 update, three banks, Chase, Citi and Comenity - all credit cards, simultaneously "disappeared" from OSU. All say in vault password "not required", although it was required previously. None download - just say "waiting" until the window times out. I'm now entering all transactions manually - like the old, old days..
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options
    DaveM said:
    What you describe is what would be expected if your Connection Channel (think "routing") has been migrated from FDS to QCS and not because of any revision update.  FDS has been the historical Connection Channel for QWin.  QCS has been the Connection Channel for QMac.  QWin users are being gradually migrated from FDS to QCS and at some point QCS will likely be the only Connection Channel available.  You can read the Q-Zette article here which summarizes this change:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7881572/whats-happening-in-the-quicken-community-october-20-edition.
    You can confirm which Connection Channel you are set up with by Fn+F4+About Quicken. 
    If you are set up with QCS there are a couple of things you can do to fix your OSU issues:
    1)  You can try switching back to FDS and see if that fixes your download issues but you will eventually be migrated back to QCS, again.  So, at best, it will be a temporary fix.
    2)  You can stay with QCS and try to fix your account setups .  Usually, fixing the setups will fix the OSU issues.  (This is the path I ended up taking.)
    You can read more about these two options at https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20155735#Comment_20155735.

• DaveM
    DaveM Member ✭✭
    Options
    BoatnManiac: Thanks - you described issue exactly. As longtime (1992) Q user, I missed this change somehow and failed to open the pertinent community discussions. I am on QCS and understand reverting is just a short term fix for the affected accounts. The easier solutions I tried (update single account, reset) have not been effective. I resist the deactivation route, since I could then face the task of cleaning up accounts with 4500 transactions. Guess I'll live with it for a while and watch the right threads. Thanks for walking me through the issue.
  • mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you very much!!! I switched to FDS and it's blazingly fast. So guess I'll get shoved back over to QCS and just suffer. I honestly don't know which is worse. Taking 20+ minutes to complete, or having to manually delete thousands of duplicate transactions with the reactivate stuff. Sigh. And I'm paying Quicken for this privilege monthly?
  • DaveM
    DaveM Member ✭✭
    Options
    I did the same thing after Boatnmaniac's help - all account updates are faster on FDS - and now WORK. I am concerned that whatever security advantages QCS may offer, for the legacy/long time (29 year) or heavy Q customers, they are more than offset by the unacceptable choice between non-functionality of OSU or the forced detailed review and revision of thousands upon thousands of duplicated/erroneous banking and investment transactions. QUICKEN, HEAR ME: The best option for users in my position is to continue to offer the FDS/QCS options, and forewarn the user regarding potential security concerns. Otherwise, my alternative is just to rely on on-line statements from my banking/investment partners, and give up Quicken.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    @DaveM and @mjonis :  You are welcome.
    Regarding the dreaded potential duplicate transactions issue when deactivating/reactivating...yes, it can be a bit of a pain but there is a simple and relatively fast way to do mass deletions.  First, a couple of comments:
    • Whether or not there will be duplicate transactions downloaded is not a given.  It only happens under certain circumstances.  In my experience, most deactivations/reactivations does not result in duplicate transactions.
    • If/when duplicates transactions are entered into the registers, they will go back only as far as the financial institution has set as its limit for Quicken OSU dowloads.  In most cases this means no more than 3 mos, often even less than this.
    • If I recall it correctly (but I might be mistaken), deactivate/reactivate is not needed for DC accounts for this FDS/QCS migration...only for EWC accounts.  And for some of these EWC accounts the simple "Update Now" or "Reset Account" is all that will be needed so no risk of duplicates getting entered into the register.
    The mass deletion process is as follows.  (I tend to go into more detail than what more experienced users need so it looks worse than what it actually is.):
    1. Back up your data file before proceeding so if anything goes wrong it can be recovered with no harm done.
    2. Deactivate all accounts that no longer work with OSU and that need to be set up, again, for QCS.
    3. In these accounts:  Make sure no transactions in the register have a "C" Cleared status.  All transactions should have a "R" Cleared status or, for manually entered transactions that have not yet been matched to a downloaded transaction, a blank Cleared status.  If you find any "C" status transactions, change them to "R".
    4. Do the Add Account or Set Up Now process for one of those financial institutions.  Make sure to Link downloads during this process to the appropriate account(s) already in Quicken.
    5. Accept All the downloaded transactions which will then be entered into the register(s) with a "C" status.
    6. Review the most recent "C" status transactions to see if any of them should be kept.  Those that should be kept need to be changed to "R" status.
    7. Click on the "Clr" column header to sort the register by cleared status.
    8. Scroll down the register to the 1st "C" transaction and left click on it.
    9. Scroll down to the last "C" transaction in the register and while holding down the Shift key, left click on it.  All "C" transactions in the register should now be shaded.
    10. Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and then left click on "Delete" and then click on "Yes".  This will delete all of the shaded "C" duplicate transactions.
    11. Click on the "Date" column header to get the register view sorted by date, again.
    12. Check your register balance to ensure that it is accurate.
    13. Backup your data file and repeat steps 4-12 for each financial institution that still needs to be set up.

• DaveM
    DaveM Member ✭✭
    Options
    BoatnManiac: Thanks for the step-by-step to work around this issue. I will keep you guidance as I again lose FDS connectivity.
  • johnodrake
    johnodrake Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Today was the first day since updating to Quicken R 31.12 and having to change USAA FSB to USAA - New that USAA has downloaded only Matched transactions and did not download previously reconciled transactions.  Hopefully this is a result of the programmers fixing the glitch(s) and not an anomaly.   I will assume the former - thanks to the programmers!
  • johnodrake
    johnodrake Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Download today, USAA back to downloading previously reconciled transactions as new transactions.
This discussion has been closed.