How to enter recurring calendar events as 3rd Wednesday of each month

jimandorliz
jimandorliz Member ✭✭
Is there a way to enter reoccurring calendar events as 3rd Wednesday of each month as opposed to a specific date each month. I think I used to have some calendar transactions set up that way, but I cannot get that to work now (ie. Social Security income that occurs the third or fourth Wednesday of each month

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Use weekly.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    No, don't use weekly. You can do 3rd or 4th Wednesday exactly. This is the most frequently asked question on this forum. Here's the FAQ:

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jimandorliz
    jimandorliz Member ✭✭
    This is what I remember from previous entries; however, that is not the screen I see when I try to edit a transaction entry in my calendar today. When I select monthly as the interval, the only option presented is to choose what date in the month. There is no option like that shown in the faq answer you referenced. Although I remember that being available in previous versions... I just can't find it in the current version.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Please reread the FAQ as many times as necessary. The feature is there.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jimandorliz
    jimandorliz Member ✭✭
    The only option I could find is the weekly option suggested by Chris_QPW. However is that is a less than ideal solution as the number of weeks between the transactions is not consistent since some months have 4 Wednesdays and some have 5.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Did you read through the whole FAQ thread? The answer is there. Trust me, you are the 100,002nd person to ask this question. It comes up every week if not every day. On the How Often line, proceed left to right exactly like this:

• jimandorliz
    jimandorliz Member ✭✭
    I read the whole FAQ... and I am pretty good at proceeding left to right... however I DO NOT get the options that you present (I used to, but it is not there now, unless there is another setting somewhere that I do not see). When I select month, the next box is every X (1,2,3, etc) month and then on X (1-31, last) day. There is NO X (1,2,3,4,5) Day (Mon, Tues, Wed, etc). I'm beginning to think you have not actually looked at this lately; that maybe it has been removed from the system... again unless there is an option to select somewhere else that I have not found! HELP?????????????
  • jimandorliz
    jimandorliz Member ✭✭
    OK... I found it... but it was not easy. When you select 3rd, it then gives you the days of the week. I was expecting to see an explicit option for day of the week, and then select 3rd.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The switching between two different "contexts" without and change in nomenclature really throws you off.  It what got me.

As 1st through 4th can be either days or weeks, but after that they are all days.
    It makes sense once you know it, but when are on say the 16th and start a new reminder and have this displayed:

You are thinking in "days".  I don't think it really occurs to most people that the "16th" can be changed to 1 through 4 and then to weeks.

Anyway that's what I get for jumping to conclusions.
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    There is another "Edit Reminder" dialog which some people like better than the default one. The trick is to hold down SHIFT while left-clicking "Edit this instance and all future instances". Instead of the default "progressive disclosure" dialog, you get one with almost all the fields visible at once. The "nth Wednesday" part especially is more visible because it is separated from the "nth day of every month".

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Rocket J Squirrel I didn't know about that hidden one.  I believe that is basically the dialog they had years ago before they switched to the "progressive disclosure" dialog.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.