Is there a way to retrieve an older version of my file online? (Q Mac)

bahadir
bahadir Member
I accidentally synched an older file (Aug 2020) with my online subscription account and lost quite a bit of manually entered data. Is there a way to go back and retrieve my more recent data (say, a week ago, etc.)?

Best Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @bahadir

Thank you for the response and the additional details. One way to check if the cloud data still exists is to navigate to the web companion app, https://app.quicken.com/

Once you have signed in, please choose your initial at the bottom left. There will be datasets listed here. Do you see the one that you are looking for listed?

If the check mark is by the dataset that you are looking for and the information has already been changed, this data has already been overwritten and cannot be replaced.

Please let us know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Do you have a recent backup of your local Mac data file that has not been clobbered and that you can restore from? Time Machine, etc.?
    Do you use the Quicken Mobile app on your smartphone or the web browser based app? If no, before doing anything else, turn off Sync. You don't really need it.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Is the problem only in the online data and the data in your desktop file is correct and up to date? If so, in QMac desktop, click menu Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services and click the Reset button to replace all cloud data with the current file's data.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • bahadir
    bahadir Member
    I already replaced the cloud data with the Aug 2020 file. Does Quicken retain cloud data for a period of time for me to retrieve the version before my careless reset? (I am looking for a Feb 10, 2021 copy of cloud data)
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @bahadir

Thank you for the response and the additional details. One way to check if the cloud data still exists is to navigate to the web companion app, https://app.quicken.com/

Once you have signed in, please choose your initial at the bottom left. There will be datasets listed here. Do you see the one that you are looking for listed?

If the check mark is by the dataset that you are looking for and the information has already been changed, this data has already been overwritten and cannot be replaced.

Please let us know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • bahadir
    bahadir Member
    Hi Tyka,

Thanks for your response. That's the area where I got frustrated and made my big mistake. There were multiple accounts with same-similar names and I struggled with deleting the unnecessary ones and overwrote the good stuff. I am afraid I have no other choice but to re-enter some of the manual data. Thanks for your help.

Bahadir
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Do you have a recent backup of your local Mac data file that has not been clobbered and that you can restore from? Time Machine, etc.?
    Do you use the Quicken Mobile app on your smartphone or the web browser based app? If no, before doing anything else, turn off Sync. You don't really need it.
  • bahadir
    bahadir Member
    I have DropBox but that's where I restored the Aug 2020 version from.

Interesting you mentioned Quicken Mobile App. I don't use it as much but I just looked and it seems to have the current data I need. I was under the impression that it used the same dataset as the Mac. Is there a way to synch the Mobile App data over to Mac or Quicken Online?
  • bahadir
    bahadir Member
    Nevermind... I was looking at cached in data... once the screen refreshed, it synched up with the online account, taking me back to Aug 2020...
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    But do you have backups of your Quicken file? It's set to make backups automatically for a limited period of time, unless you've extended it in Preferences. But a Time Machine backup of your data file would enable you to make back in time to before this problem began, without going all the way back to August.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • bahadir
    bahadir Member
    Understand. Preferences were set to keep last 5 backups but while I was struggling with the naming of the files, all 5 ended up with useless data (I am still stuck with one of them that has no data). Thankfully, my most active accounts are synched with the financial institutions so those are not going to require much work. Thanks to all who responded. I will throw the towel on this one.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @bahadir  I'd encourage you to use this incident as motivation to begin using Time Machine to back up your entire Mac. You never know how much you need a backup solution until it's too late. In this case, it's great that you were able to mostly recover… but imagine if your hard disk had suddenly died.

Time Machine software is built into the macOS, requires about 30 seconds to set up, and no intervention thereafter. All you need to do is provide an external disk drive for the backups. You can get a good 1TB hard drive for $100 or less; plug it into your Mac, click to turn on Time Machine, and you're done. :) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.