All Quicken functions extremely slow!

sparkoff
sparkoff Member ✭✭
I've perused the board and don't see anyone with this exact problem, but if I missed it please point me to the thread.

EVERYTHING I do on Quicken is slow. I've been using Q for 20 years and I've never had problems like this:
- Changing from one account to another takes 5+ seconds...
- entering a new transaction takes 5+ seconds,
- opening an investment register takes 10-20 seconds
- entering an investment transaction takes 10+ seconds
- opening Reports and Graph Center takes 15 seconds
- opening a canned report takes 15 seconds
etc etc. (not to mention one step updates taking minutes)
All of these result in a "spinning wheel" for a few seconds and/or the window flashing/shifting and looking weird until it resolves.

I have the latest version. I'm running Windows 10 Home on an HP with 24 GB RAM, AMD 2.1GHz processor, 64 bit. Computer memory and processing status looks normal when I run Task Manager.

My Quicken file is about 240 MB. I've read on the boards that other folks have files much larger than this and aren't complaining about this problem.

Here's what I've tried:
- file ops - validation (only minor stuff found)
- file ops - super validation
- deleting old accounts
- copying my Quicken file (to remove the old account/transaction database entries) and using the copy
- Disconnecting from mobile/web sync
- Disconnecting from the internet
- running virus scans and malware checks. Even bought a new copy of System Mechanic to run system checks. Minor stuff corrected. No registry problems. No infections.
- Wiped my Windows 10 OS and reset to factory

Any help is appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @sparkoff

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience and feedback with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

We'll need a bit more information to be able to assist.

Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you are using.

One thing that may impact speed is the location of the data file. Do you store the activated data file in a cloud or network drive?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    A few things

Do file new to make a very small test file and see if that file is slow too which should help to see if the program or your datafile is at fault. 

Either way, I would do a clean install. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Follow the steps to download QCleanui and be sure to rename or delete the folders listed. 

Reinstall and see if better. 

• sparkoff
    sparkoff Member ✭✭
    Thank you both for your input. I am running a local copy of my Quicken file.

I tried a new small test file and it also runs slowly. I will now try the clean install idea.
  • sparkoff
    sparkoff Member ✭✭
    I did the clean install. I'd say there was a very minor improvement, barely noticeable.

I performed an additional step and loaded Quicken for Mac on my MacBook and brought in the same file. It runs perfectly!! Blazing fast in comparison!!

So this has to be something in Windows 10 or some other problem with my HP. It's an HP Pavilion gaming laptop and only 2-3 years old. As I noted above, I have plenty of RAM (24GB) and System Mechanic doesn't indicate any problems with virus/malware or other configuration issues. So I'm still perplexed.
  • gstergio
    gstergio Member ✭✭
    completely agree. i think you and i have the same issues. using the product for over 20 years, we've become accustomed to these issues. but this last release seems worse than the others. the product is almost unusable as it updates excruciatingly slow, flashes on and off and just crashes when it feels like it.
  • sparkoff
    sparkoff Member ✭✭
    Wow, so @gstergio you are also using Windows 10? I’m surprised that there aren’t more complaints about this
  • krishna
    krishna Member ✭✭
    Have also been experiencing this. And it is quite frustration. Like gstergio mentioned, I have gotten accustomed to some of the sluggishness, but its quite frustrating to see it get worse.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am running Windows 10 - computer is 6 months old; file is over 20 years old with 67,000 records - no sluggishness or slowness experienced. 

is there a "youbreakIfix" in your area - maybe a free diagnostic check may be warrented....  
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Check if Windows Defender feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

Check if any other antivirus software is showing signs of unusual activity while Quicken is processing transactions. If so, reconfigure this AV software to keep away from the active Quicken data file.
    What is the location of your active Quicken data file? It must NOT be in a folder that is actively processed by OneDrive, Dropbox or other cloud backup software. And it must not be residing on a networked, external or cloud drive. Recommended: Internal hard drive or SSD, e.g., C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    sparkoff said:
    The problem ended up being that the processor was being throttled. I must have set it lower when I was on battery and didn't reset it when I plugged in. So, anyone else having this problem should check their power and battery settings.

Wow! I would have never thought about looking into Control Panel / Power Options.
    Properly set up, Power Plan Settings should automatically switch from Battery Mode to Power Mode when the laptop is plugged in.
    Thanks for letting us know what you found.
    When someone else asks about slow Quicken, I'll be sure to add this to my list of questions.
  • wdavis41
    wdavis41 Member ✭✭
    I thank Sparkoff for the key to solving this problem. I changed from the "balanced" power plan to my custom plan, and the lag of all operations in Quicken disappeared. I'm just puzzled why only Quicken was affected.
This discussion has been closed.