Can't Delete A Sub Category Item

Options
When I am in the register and want to choose a sub-category of, let's say - FedEx - there are two items in there that are obsolete. When I go to delete them, they do not appear in the category list nor are they in the hidden list. Any suggestion?

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for the images. They both appear to show the same Split details selection view from a register transaction.
    Now please go into Tools / Category List. Make sure "Show: [Full List]" is selected at the top and that the list is sorted by Category Name.
    Also please make sure that the column "Usage" is enabled (or enable it using the gear icon in the upper right hand corner).
    "Usage" tells you how many transactions exist using each category.
    If the Usage count is > 0, you cannot delete a category or subcategory. You must recategorize all existing transactions first.
    Might be a good idea if you showed us the Category List portion of FedEx and all subcategories, showing all columns of the list view.

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @mylan

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response. I'm wondering here if they may be stuck in the program.

I would recommend running the Validate & Repair tool on the data file from the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, click the top box to "validate file" and then click OK.

When the validation completes, a data log will open in Notepad, please let us know if any errors or issues are found/repaired, and when ready close and re-open Quicken.

Please let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mylan said:
    When I am in the register and want to choose a sub-category of, let's say - FedEx - there are two items in there that are obsolete. When I go to delete them, they do not appear in the category list nor are they in the hidden list. Any suggestion?

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• mylan
    mylan Member ✭✭
    Options
    Francisco:
    There were no errors!
  • Quicken Francisco
    Options
    @mylan

Thanks for the update. If you could provide some screenshots like UKR suggested that will give us more info to work with to see what exactly is happening. He's also listed the steps above as well. 

Once you get a chance let us know more and we'll take a look.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • mylan
    mylan Member ✭✭
    Options
    Here are two screenshots - under FedEx: edExSupple\y - when I go to delete that it is not there - not even in hidden files.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for the images. They both appear to show the same Split details selection view from a register transaction.
    Now please go into Tools / Category List. Make sure "Show: [Full List]" is selected at the top and that the list is sorted by Category Name.
    Also please make sure that the column "Usage" is enabled (or enable it using the gear icon in the upper right hand corner).
    If the Usage count is > 0, you cannot delete a category or subcategory. You must recategorize all existing transactions first.
    Might be a good idea if you showed us the Category List portion of FedEx and all subcategories, showing all columns of the list view.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @UKR
    "If the Usage count is > 0, you cannot delete a category or subcategory. You must recategorize all existing transactions first."
    I don't believe that is true.  I think you can delete a category even if it has been used.  
    Also please make sure that the column "Usage" is enabled (or enable it using the gear icon in the upper right hand).
    If the subcategory (edEx Supple\y) does not appear in the category list, there will be no indication of usage.

@mylan -- what is the other obsolete subcategory?  I am suspicious that the \ may be a factor.  Was that subcategory used at some point? even accidentally?
    If you create a transaction that does use that category, does the category then magically appear in the category list?  (That question assumes the category is not currently in use.)  

I am doubtful that I will be able to determine a way to delete this item that does not exist where it is supposed to exist.
  • mylan
    mylan Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well - first I followed UKR's instructions and it was only when I changed the list to FULL LIST, that the culprit was found and - guess what? I deleted it along with several others that showed a zero! Thank you so very much!
  • Quicken Francisco
    Options
    @mylan

Good to hear you were able to get it figured out with UKR's steps and also cleaned out a couple of others. If you do run into any other problems feel free to post on an existing thread or make another post of your own.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco