File Copy & Backup & Export DO Not Work

Here’s my issue: I have an enormous file that is filled with data from 2004. I want to create a new file that captures everything from November 1, 2020 to today. My goal is to have a clean file, like a fresh start for 2021 that doesn’t have tons of things that are no longer useful. I do not want to have to manually enter data again, which would take many hours. So how to accomplish my goal?

I have tried file copy and file export functions yet it still doesn’t work. My file has been validated, super validated, mondo validated and macho validated. The Software simply will not do what it claims it can do. It will not create a file beginning from a date certain and carry all those transactions and categories and populate different accounts into a new file.
Suggestions please.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't already, select File > File Operations > Copy...

Note: You will need to reestablish the appropriate initial balances for the account registers.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You haven't told use what Quicken is doing or reporting when :
    The Software simply will not do what it claims it can do.

Without that information, we can't provide any useful advice.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't already, select File > File Operations > Copy...

Note: You will need to reestablish the appropriate initial balances for the account registers.
  • arthurdent
    arthurdent Member ✭✭
    Thanks very much for the responses and suggestions. <3 :)
    Here is detail

UPDATE: Somewhere along the line I saw a notice that there was a problem with a Bill Pay item. So I went into that function and deleted all those transactions. That seems to have cleared some kind of blockage of the data export/import. Here is the latest:

File Export > QIF Export
    File to Export - See picture

Back to Quicken Main > Create New Quicken File name = “2021"
    > New File is blank as expected.
    > Go to File Operations and validate new file which then allows the File Menu to show the File Import function > QIF Import (Why was this necessary?)
    Select things to import = transactions, account list, memorized payees, etc.
    Click import > message says 918 items imported
    Now we see a bunch of accounts in the account list - Good
    Now begin to check to see if the information is accurate - It is NOT - BAD
    Memorized Payees = Blank
    Memorized Transactions = Blank
    Category List = populated

It looks like I am going to have to go into each account and edit it with a beginning balance as of 10/31/2020 since the data import was supposed to be from 11/1/2020. Tried that with a few accounts, as of now that seems to have worked

This is still going to take hours to fix. However, it appears that I will not have to add all the transactions since 11/1/20 and memorized transactions are lost so that will be a chore to rebuild. I do not yet know what other kinds of issues will pop up. I’m sure there will be many, especially with the investment accounts.
  • arthurdent
    arthurdent Member ✭✭
    UPDATE:
    I did the file copy as suggested by Sherlock <3 setting the date range I want and leaving all the check boxes blank. It worked!!! :D
    Not only did that do the trick, a quick review of a few accounts shows that the computer populated a beginning balance as of 10/31 so I don’t have to do that.
    Also the memorized transactions are populated. :)
    I tried this method at least once before. Maybe the reason it didn’t work was because of that Bill Pay issue. I don’t know. Anyway, I’m moving ahead now.
    Thanks again for the assistance <3 B)
This discussion has been closed.