Reports using “Select All”

jimshu1
jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
I believe there have been many discussions about this, but I’m having a hard time finding them.

When I create a report where I’ve chosen the “Select All” button for accounts, or categories, or payees, or securities, it would seem logical to me that when a new one is created it is automatically included in that report. It qualifies under the Select All rule. This isn’t the case. It is not included.

That behavior would be expected in any report where Select All isn’t used.

I remember some discussion years ago in Quicken forums where the pros/cons were kicked around. I still don’t understand why Select All wouldn’t include any new items.

Thanks for any replies!
Quicken Deluxe for Windows. Latest subscription version. I've been a user for decades.

- Jim S.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the "debate" was whether after you create a new account if that account should automatically be included in reports or not.  If you are customizing a report and on the Accounts tab "Select All" should certainly include any new accounts.

But note "Select All" isn't a "setting".  You don't toggle it on or off.  It is an "operation".  As in at that point of time you are asking Quicken to select all of the accounts in the list.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also there are some inconsistent interactions when Select All and Clear All are combined with Show Hidden Accounts and Show Hidden Securities.

With accounts, if you check Show hidden, clear all, un-check Show hidden, Select All, then check Show hidden, the hidden accounts are not selected. Select All only selects the accounts that are currently shown in the list.

Likewise, Clear All only clears accounts that are currently shown.

With securities, Select all also only selects the ones that currently shown.

But Clear All clears all the securities whether or not they are shown when you click on Clear All.    
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > But note "Select All" isn't a "setting".  You don't toggle it on or off.  It is an "operation".  As in at that point of time you are asking Quicken to select all of the accounts in the list.

A very good explanation. At least that makes it make sense. Thanks!

But should it be a "setting"? Every January I have to go through about 75 custom reports/graphs and click on Select All to some degree on TABS in all of them. An annoyance...
    Quicken Deluxe for Windows. Latest subscription version. I've been a user for decades.

- Jim S.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well you can suggest it.  The way to do that is to create a thread as an idea, so people can vote on it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks again!

- Jim S.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This "Idea" post 
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7490194/add-feature-to-lock-or-prevent-changes-to-customized-saved-reports-edited-17-merged-votes
    seems to touch on your needs.  If accounts have been added since the report was saved, the program should prompt the user for a decision to include or exclude the new account.  (Caveat: I did not review the lined discussion in it entirety.)
This discussion has been closed.