Ability to rename or delete 'blank' budget records that impact Synch

YingDave
YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
We can debate whether it is a bug fix or a product idea - but either way it needs to be fixed. There have been several posts on this. Somehow budgets are created through some kind  of glitch with a bank name, and they cannot be removed. Here are a few of the posts about this problem and there are several problems with Sync related to budgets. 

How do I get rid of this budget with a blank name space? — Quicken
Blank Budget - how to delete — Quicken
"" Budget Error when Syncing — Quicken

Tagged:

Comments

• scmoore
    scmoore Member
    I ended up with a budget that has no name. It shows up as a blank line item whenever i'm asked to choose which budget. If i try to click on it, it opens the listed budget before it instead.

Normally i would just ignore this issue, but it is preventing me from syncing to the cloud. When i try to sync to the cloud, i get the following error:

Sync errors found:
    [1] (severity: 3)
    User message:
    The budget <b>""</b> was not synced.
    Parameter name must be specified for this request.
    System message:
    Export Budgets error. Name = ", Id = 1163;
    exception:
    err code: QCS-0400-6

I'm not sure how i did it - some crazy sequence of events i'm sure, so I have no idea how to reproduce the issue. I have tried all the different Quicken repair options to no avail. My last resort is to create a new Quicken file, but i put a lot of effort into these budgets (i have 3), and I really don't want to have to manually re-enter them, since exporting is clearly not an option!

Thanks in advance for any help on this!
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you do a search for blank budget or "" you will find a few conversations on this already incl. one from me. It is a bug that needs to be fixed because a blank budget cannot be edited or deleted and it screws up synching also.

1. https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7877807/how-do-i-get-rid-of-this-budget-with-a-blank-name-space
    2. Blank Budget - how to delete — Quicken
    3. "" Budget Error when Syncing — Quicken

• scmoore
    scmoore Member
    thanks! yep i see that now, my apologies for not putting more effort into my initial search, haha.

Hopefully they get this fixed soon, since there's no workaround for syncing to the cloud.
  • T.J.
    T.J. Member
    I agree this HAS to be fixed. I cannot sync my budget to the mobile app because the blank budget name is causing a sync error. How hard can this be to fix???
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @scmoore

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, I have a few additional questions to help me further isolate the cause of this error.

First, how many budgets do you have? Do you use multiple budgets or the same budget year to year?

Next, how many total categories would you say that you budget for? 

Last, how many years were in the budget in question?

The more information you can provide the better able to assist the Community will be.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there @Quicken_Tyka
    I have 6 budgets. 4 from 10+ years ago. then a large gap when I did not use them. several years ago, then I created a new 'budget 2020' when I upgraded to subcription version in middle of last year. Somewhere around Sep or Oct last year there appeared a budget with a blank name. I do not remember doing anything linked to that appearing except tying to sync online. I am still using the 'budget 2020' plus the blank leaves me with 6. I use them for 12-18 months.

I am budgeting against approximately 45 line items, using current budget 2020. So same budget but multiple records exist. Have not really returned to budgettin long enough to have a pattern beyond this. Hope this helps.
  • douglaslawrence
    douglaslawrence Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem. I have 2 budgets. I tried resetting the cloud data as suggested elsewhere but it did not fix the issue and I get the error every time I try to sync.
  • scmoore
    scmoore Member
    I have 3 budgets, but it looks like 4, including the "budget with no name". See attached picture. Every time i try to select it, it just opens the budget before it.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @YingDave

Thank you for the response and the additional details. I have relayed this information. I will be back with an update as soon as I have more details on the status of this issue.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @scmoore

Thanks for the update and letting us know what it looks like. That is odd. Lets see if we're able to potentially get it fixed by trying to do a copy and validate. This is a good first step for us to try here. I'll leave steps down below on how to do so. It'll be the fourth step down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Once you get the chance let us know if this is able to clear up the extra budget you're seeing. If not we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • douglaslawrence
    douglaslawrence Member ✭✭
    I just tried this (validated the file) and it did not fix the problem. No errors were found during the validation process (per the log). When I then tried to sync to the cloud I got the same error re the "budget with no name." I shut down the program, restarted it and tried to sync to the cloud again - same error.
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Please take a moment to open Quicken and navigate to Help > Report a Problem. As the subject please enter "ATTN: Sarah- Blank Budget" Please include the logs as well as a sanitized data file in this report.

Please comment back to let me know when the report has been sent so it may be retrieved to investigate this issue further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    Done - took more than 5 min to push it through - but it's through apparently
  • scmoore
    scmoore Member
    good news, it seems the latest quicken update removed the mysterious No Name budget and the cloud sync was successful.
This discussion has been closed.