Track Bitcoin (BTC) and other Cryptocurrency accounts in Quicken (45 Legacy Votes, 9 Merged)

Comments

• clay
    clay Member ✭✭
    Recommendation for Cryptocurrency investments:

Allow 8 decimal places for number of shares. Cryptocurrency shares goes out to 8 decimal points.

Allow Quicken to download historical cryptocurrency prices.

Add Coinbase Wallet to Financial institution list to download transactions from your Coinbase Wallet account into Quicken. https://wallet.coinbase.com
  • clay
    clay Member ✭✭
    Yes I also want Quicken to track cryptocurrency such as adding the following features:

1) Add Coinbase Wallet (https://wallet.coinbase.com) to the list of financial Institutions so we can track and download our cryptocurrency assets.

2) Allow 8 decimal places for number of shares. Cryptocurrency shares goes out to 8 decimal points.

3) Allow Quicken to download historical cryptocurrency prices.

Quicken please add these features.
  • Bill Burge
    Bill Burge Member ✭✭
    Can Quicken at least include Bitcoin in asset price updates?
  • skioutwest
    skioutwest Member ✭✭
    I does....just setup a security with symbol NYXBT.
  • Flipr
    Flipr Member ✭✭
    Do any other crytpo's have download-able ticker symbols?
  • smithgroup
    smithgroup Member ✭✭
    Quicken needs to allow more decimal places for shares of securities.
  • beachphool
    beachphool Member ✭✭
    Cryptos are tracked to 8 decimal places, and Quicken only goes to 6. Those last two make a difference. We need to be able to track investments to 8 decimal places
  • ScottD
    ScottD Member ✭✭
    Put me on the list too...would live to see coinbase connection actually work.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do those requesting this realize that Q would have to expand the quote amount for EVERY investing amount?  For ALL investing portfolios? For every investing calculation?
    This would be a herculean effort, akin to Y2K, where every date field had to be expanded.
    I only wish that there was some way to vote against this idea.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• emhamiltn
    emhamiltn Member ✭✭✭
    Please give us greater control over decimal precision in investment registers. Like the OP noted, cryptocurrencies need more than the measly 6 decimals currently allowed. Bitcoin goes to 8 decimals and Ethereum to 18 decimals.

If Quicken wants to keep pace with technology / FinTech and the cutting edge masses of customers starting to use it, we need more decimal places!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    emhamiltn said:
    Ethereum to 18 decimals.

You are never going to get 18 decimals.

The underline variable type they have to be using is a double.  It has a max precision from 15 to 17 digits.  For that to changed almost ever part of the code would be affected, not to mention since it wouldn't be able use a built-in type, the performance of all of Quicken would go down.

What's more you have understand that the 15 to 17 digits are the "total digits", not the digits after the decimal point.  A double is stored as 1 bit for the sign, 11 for the exponent, and 52 for the "digits".  It is the 52 bits that determine how many digits can be displayed accurately.  This is the standard for all current floating point processors.  Because the conversion between binary and decimal can be "fractional" that is why you can't pin down the exact amount of digits that would be accurate, so 15 would be the conservative number to use to make sure you really have that precision. So even doing this 1.00000000000001 isn't possible.

And not only would this affect every number in Quicken, it would also affect how they have to be displayed.  In other words columns and text boxes and such that have these numbers in them would have to be increased in size.

BTW it is an interesting fact that they recently bumped up the number of decimal "after the decimal point" recently by two more digits.  And that in turn caused "rounding errors" for some people's data.  I have a feeling the developers might not be inclined to repeat that with adding even more digits.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • genzcope
    genzcope Member
    I use gemini and blockfi. will these be integrated with quicken in the near future?
  • Wprobus
    Wprobus Member
    Is there a symbol you can use to track historical prices for Ethereum?
  • Mark Lint
    Mark Lint Member
    This is just sad that Quicken has not yet fully developed a much better way to track and manage cryptocurrency assets. This idea is over 4 years old and yet we are still waiting - Come on Man!!! Get with the program here Quicken - almost all of the major exchanges now have APIs which could easily be integrated into the quicken platform not on for pricing but also for account access to track assets. You really need to keep up with the times here and lead with solutions for this new asset class!
  • smithgroup
    smithgroup Member ✭✭
    QUICKEN ... are you hearing this? Your software needs to allow more decimal places. The rounding causes my crypto currency holdings to be inaccurate. The current rounding is so 1990. Let's go! It's 2021 and you PROMOTE how Quicken will be regularly updated with the new subscription pricing model. Then fix this ASAP. This PROBLEM should have been corrected 10 years ago. It is not new.
  • jrog
    jrog Member
    It is my suggestion that Quicken add the capability to add the user to be able to access cryptocurrency quotes so that if you manually add a portfolio you can easily and automatically update its value without having to enter values manually.
  • Glen S
    Glen S Member ✭✭
    Bump above
  • dinoguzzetti
    dinoguzzetti Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    [removed - no soliciting]
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    During the time I invested in crypto, I dealt with the lack of precision by using a scale factor that put my holdings and prices within the range of Quicken's digit precision. I did something very similar to this post which describes it nicely: 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20153745#Comment_20153745

I also wonder why the hard-core crypto traders aren't using more specialized software to help them manage their trades and get quotes rather than try to shoehorn this into current Quicken (which as a software developer I agree is difficult to increase the precision of a fundamental data type). If you want to include the value of your crypto portfolio in Quicken net worth reporting, create an asset account and manually update its value from your crypto tracker as frequently as you need (weekly? monthly?).

I think I read someone saying they needed 15 digits after the decimal point. Currencies are trading in quadrillionths? Seriously?
  • pattonm005
    pattonm005 Member
    As I read through all the posting's, I see Intuit is behind the power curve on Crypto tracking and processing. I feel there's plenty of people who currently use quicken that need this service or option for currency services. I use Gemini and Exodus, and there's plenty of other wallets needing to be added. Will you provide some guidance as to when we may see progress in this area of concern? Collectively, we need Intuit to produce something that works with quicken. :/
  • Glen S
    Glen S Member ✭✭
    > @pattonm005 said:
    > I feel there's plenty of people who currently use quicken that need this service or option for currency services.

X2
  • LazyDrone
    LazyDrone Member ✭✭
    I would also like to see Crypto currencies supported as well as connection with some of the more popular exchanges and wallets.
  • SWM
    SWM Member
    Please move past thinking about Crypto Currency quotes being "accepted by the Development team and added" to making it happen. As stated above, more and more individual portfolios contain and with Morgan Stanley jumping into the mix (as well as others) it is time. Thank you!
  • er453d
    er453d Member
    Where is the up voting for this suggestion? This needs to be moved to voting, if it hasn't already. The FED is now talking about crypto, which can not be denied as being recognized as a valid, even if volatile digital currency. Get with the times, Quicken, and benefit or get left behind and lose your market share that someone else will take when they see the opportunity.
  • orlandoguy
    orlandoguy Member
    So sad. Been using Quicken daily since 1991 (yes, for 30 years, which should give you some idea of my age).

Just bought my first batch of Bitcoin, Ethereum, and LiteCoin and am absolutely shocked that I can't automatically download cryptocurrency quotes other than for Bitcoin.

I get the workarounds, i.e. CSV downloads, and will likely use them, but as many have mentioned, quotes are readily available in so many places it's hard to believe that Quicken with all of their vast resources can't figure out a direct :'( :'( download methodology.
  • Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭
    When I tried to add a transaction for BTC, Bitcoin was not listed, instead, I got Community Bankers Trust Corp?