Are there ANY reports for securities?

Options
ellyenne
ellyenne Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I can get transactions in 1 account by doing a "find", but I have the same security across multiple accounts! I can't find a report specifically for securities Transactions.
In Q2007 there was a portfolio page which had details including transactions - across all accounts. I can't find that in Q2020.
In Q2020, if I do a transaction report with the investment categories, it shows the security name in the Payee column, BUT VERY FRUSTRATINGLY it won't let me choose a security as a payee in the customization screen. If I do a report by Payee, it won't let me choose securities as payees.
It's annoying that I had to pay so much for such limited software.

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    A report of all transactions for a security across different accounts is easy to create. Click on the Investments group in the left sidebar and make sure the Security/Payee and Account columns are visible; click on Transactions, and in the Search box, type the name of the security. Your register is now displaying all transactions for the security. You can narrow the date range if you want. The register can then be printed or exported to Excel.

At this time, reports in the Report section deal mostly with banking transactions. For reports on investments, you create them in the investment registers or portfolios. You can't do everything investors want, but you can create a lot of reports with the filters. The biggest problem is that unlike regular reports, you can't save your parameters; you have to set them each time.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @ellyenne  Yes, unfortunately, learning Quicken Mac is an exercise in piecing together guide information scattered in different places, many of which aren't easy to find. ;)

If you haven't tried printing from the portfolio screen yet, you might be surprised to see it does come out formatted just like other reports. (You can print to Preview or a PDF just to experiment with what you can do without wasting paper.)

I believe the developers will eventually add investment reports to the Report section of the program, because many reports already can be created in the Portfolio, so much of the programming is already done. It's just not intuitive that it's not under Reports, and it's annoying that you can't set up and save a particular report to re-use easily.

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    A report of all transactions for a security across different accounts is easy to create. Click on the Investments group in the left sidebar and make sure the Security/Payee and Account columns are visible; click on Transactions, and in the Search box, type the name of the security. Your register is now displaying all transactions for the security. You can narrow the date range if you want. The register can then be printed or exported to Excel.

At this time, reports in the Report section deal mostly with banking transactions. For reports on investments, you create them in the investment registers or portfolios. You can't do everything investors want, but you can create a lot of reports with the filters. The biggest problem is that unlike regular reports, you can't save your parameters; you have to set them each time.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @ellyenne  Yes, unfortunately, learning Quicken Mac is an exercise in piecing together guide information scattered in different places, many of which aren't easy to find. ;)

If you haven't tried printing from the portfolio screen yet, you might be surprised to see it does come out formatted just like other reports. (You can print to Preview or a PDF just to experiment with what you can do without wasting paper.)

I believe the developers will eventually add investment reports to the Report section of the program, because many reports already can be created in the Portfolio, so much of the programming is already done. It's just not intuitive that it's not under Reports, and it's annoying that you can't set up and save a particular report to re-use easily.
  • ukari
    ukari Member ✭✭
    Options
    Um...sorry, Quicken has dropped the ball on this. MSFT Money circa 2000 used to be able to do this. Been waiting 20 years for this feature.
This discussion has been closed.