Cannot Export Data to a QIF File [edited]

Options
Hi.

I have been a quicken user since mid 90's and although the latest version I have is 2004, It still works.

The problem I am having is that I cannot export my data to a QIF file. I have done this in the past, but it isn't working now. I go through the process and it converts something, but not the full data. I get a file which is 720kb which I would expect to be bigger. If anyone has any thoughts, I would be grateful

Regards

Bob Conley

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Have you looked at the contents of the QIF file that is created?  Since QIF files have no extraneous data or empty space that a database file might have, it will be a lot smaller.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Have you looked at the contents of the QIF file that is created?  Since QIF files have no extraneous data or empty space that a database file might have, it will be a lot smaller.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For reference 142MB QDF file exports to a 11MB QIF file (about 6MB of that is just the security/price information, and note that a security has to have a symbol for it to be exported).
    And yes it contains "all the data", but that is far less than what is stored in the QDF file.  That is one reason that recreating a QDF from a QIF file means that you would have a lot of work recreating things like budgets, reports, ...
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.