One step update is not one step.

This has been a problem for many years, and it is still a continual annoyance.  It is by far, my top annoyance with Quicken, because it is in my face every time I update.

One step update is not one step.  The first time after starting the program, there is a popup to enter the password, but that makes sense.  The problem is after that, when the settings window pops up instead of starting the update.  More than 99% of the time when doing a data download, the users do not want to change the "One Step Update Settings".  We have to click through a second step that should not be necessary.  There are already two other ways to directly access the settings when necessary.  This extra step is repeated many times, so it is significant. (especially for those of us who leave the program open all the time)  Every time I get the settings popup I think "UPDATE!  I said UPDATE!"

Please skip the settings screen for One Step Update.  Alternatively, you can put a checkbox for "don't show this again".  Or you could proceed without stopping, showing the update screen having a cancel button that can get to the settings.  Just make it one step to update.  This little thing will go a long way toward improving the usability of Quicken.

[This issue was reported and discussed in the old centercode forum in 2020.  It is not in the current communities, and the development status is unknown.  Please fix it, and tell us the plan for when it will be fixed.] 

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    OK, I have registered my opinion, and you have yours.  That's enough of that.
    I would like to see other users check in on this idea.  Let's give it some time, and maybe it will warrant a vote.

There are, indeed two separate Settings buttons in Quicken, besides going through OSU.  One is enough to make my point, and it is not necessary for me to go further to defend myself.

Question to a moderator or administrator:  Can the previous discussion on this topic be recovered from the old forums?
    If you have a feature request you need to post as an Idea.  That is how they take requests, and it allows people to vote on it so they can tell how popular it is.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    This has been a problem for many years, and it is still a continual annoyance.  It is by far, my top annoyance with Quicken, because it is in my face every time I update.

One step update is not one step.  The first time after starting the program, there is a popup to enter the password, but that makes sense.  The problem is after that, when the settings window pops up instead of starting the update.  More than 99% of the time when doing a data download, the users do not want to change the "One Step Update Settings".  We have to click through a second step that should not be necessary.  There are already two other ways to directly access the settings when necessary.  This extra step is repeated many times, so it is significant. (especially for those of us who leave the program open all the time)  Every time I get the settings popup I think "UPDATE!  I said UPDATE!"

Please skip the settings screen for One Step Update.  Alternatively, you can put a checkbox for "don't show this again".  Or you could proceed without stopping, showing the update screen having a cancel button that can get to the settings.  Just make it one step to update.  This little thing will go a long way toward improving the usability of Quicken.

[This issue was reported and discussed in the old centercode forum in 2020.  It is not in the current communities, and the development status is unknown.  Please fix it, and tell us the plan for when it will be fixed.] 
    Please tell us how you manage to access the One Step Update Settings "two other ways".

To perform a One Step Update, press Ctrl + 1.  If you already entered the Password Vault password, the One Step Update Settings window should open. If you do not want to make any changes to the settings, press Enter.  

Note:  One Step Update implies we're able to update multiple items with one request - not that the request itself takes one step.
  • tgrantdavis
    tgrantdavis Windows Beta Beta
    I am just telling you, as a frequent and long-time user, what makes sense to me (and some other users, as seen in the previous discussions).  Make it easy.  One step should be one step. 
    There is already a menu path for settings that follows on with an "Update Now" button.  It is silly that the "One Step Update" and the "Update Settings" go to the same settings menu.  It doesn't matter if there are two or one other ways to get to settings.
    Note how the automatic update when Q starts does not go through the settings.  So there is no logic in saying users always need to stop at the settings.
    It's like this -- imagine if every time you opened a web page, there was a popup for the browser settings.  It is that frustrating.
    Maybe I am wording this request wrong for your attitude.  I want a toolbar button (and/or shortcut) which acts immediately like the "Update Now" button in the Update Settings popup, using the current settings.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I am just telling you, as a frequent and long-time user, what makes sense to me (and some other users, as seen in the previous discussions).  Make it easy.  One step should be one step. 
    There is already a menu path for settings that follows on with an "Update Now" button.  It is silly that the "One Step Update" and the "Update Settings" go to the same settings menu.  It doesn't matter if there are two or one other ways to get to settings.
    Note how the automatic update when Q starts does not go through the settings.  So there is no logic in saying users always need to stop at the settings.
    It's like this -- imagine if every time you opened a web page, there was a popup for the browser settings.  It is that frustrating.
    Maybe I am wording this request wrong for your attitude.  I want a toolbar button (and/or shortcut) which acts immediately like the "Update Now" button in the Update Settings popup, using the current settings.

I, for one, do not find having to enter two key strokes to kick off a One Step Update to be at all "frustrating".  If you want to shorten it further, I suggest you consider using a AutoHotKey script for that purpose.  

[Edited-Violation of Community Guidelines]
  • tgrantdavis
    tgrantdavis Windows Beta Beta
    I would like to see other users check in on this idea.  Let's give it some time, and maybe it will warrant a vote.

There are, indeed two separate Settings buttons in Quicken, besides going through OSU.  One is enough to make my point, and it is not necessary for me to go further to defend myself.

Question to a moderator or administrator:  Can the previous discussion on this topic be recovered from the old forums?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭

Again, I posit there are no separate paths to One Step Update Settings window in the Quicken for Windows other than through One Step Update.  You have been asked repeatedly to provide such evidence and have provided none.

I don't think the moderators need waste their time on your request.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you have a feature request you need to post as an Idea.  That is how they take requests, and it allows people to vote on it so they can tell how popular it is.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.