Quicken is unstable and screen "bounces" around

Within past few days when I open Quicken R31.20 and then open an account register, the screen just starts cycling and jumping around. The "File-Edit-etc." top line disappears and I can't do anything at all. I get a box that says Quicken has stopped responding but then it disappears and screen continues to jump around. I am running on Windows 10 Pro 2H20, 64-bit, Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @DVZ

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is quite odd it sounds like it's flickering a bit. Is this only on the most recent patch of Quicken you've been experiencing this? In any case lets try reinstalling the patch using a mondo patch to see if that may help us with trying to get your program to behave better. I'll leave steps down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Once you've done this let us know more about the issue and if the mondo patch made any difference as well. If not we'll look to see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Bairclau
    Bairclau Member ✭✭
    We're seeing exactly the same problem. For one computer it started with the previous release, but this R31.20 has made it even worse. Screen bounces. File menu at top keeps disappearing and the program crashes and stalls frequently. It's completely unstable. How do we get this fixed?
  • Bairclau
    Bairclau Member ✭✭
    Oh and we're running Windows 10 1909 as well as Win 10 20H2
  • Quicken Francisco
    @Bairclau

Thanks for letting us know you're also having a similar issue. Have you tried the mondo patch just yet? If not could you try and let us know if that changes the way the program behaves. If that doesn't work we'll see what we can try next to get the program working.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • gmk3
    gmk3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Same issue. Since 31.20, when first opening the program...frequently goes into non-responding mode. Program crashes and closes itself several times with no error reported. File repair detects nothing.
    When the screen does open, the Quicken title bar appears about 40% down the screen and offset to the right of the account list. The screen then draws again to move the title bar to the top.
    Edit: Applied the mondo patch. No change. The program took at least a full minute to open the datafile - 4-5x longer than usual, during which time the blank screen redrew itself at least 6 times, alternating between overlaying the entire screen and displaying itself above the lower status bar. The splash screen never displayed at all.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @gmk3

Thank you for the response and the additional details, although I apologize that the trouble continues to persist.

One thing that may cause this behavior is the location of the data file. Do you store the active data file in a cloud or network drive?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • gmk3
    gmk3 Member ✭✭✭
    No, the data file is stored on the c: drive. (C:\Users\[user]\Documents\My Key Files\Quicken).
    It's really bizarre.
    It does look like there's a few websites occasionally being contacted by the program between launch and the time the datafile password is requested. Perhaps there's a response time issue there.
    The crashes are unlike any other program I use. It just shuts itself down, no "not-responding", no recorded event, no error message, no error log, no nothing...just shutdown. The open program block on the taskbar reverts to an icon and all traces of the program in memory are gone.
    The screen-redraws are back and forth between normal looking clear fonts and stretched fonts where some horizontal lines are doubled. It seems to lose track of what its operating window size is, redraws over the full screen area including the taskbar, then redraws again to a maximized window above the taskbar.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @gmk3

Thanks for the update. -In this case it may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish and set up what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

This discussion has been closed.