Can't download from UESP/My529 (Quicken Mac)

jcricket73
jcricket73 Member ✭✭
I can't seem to get my accounts setup to download from UESP/My529 (Utah's 529 plan). I have two 529 accounts there for the kids. I have a My529.org username/password and am able to log in on their web site just fine (it now uses 2FA, so I have to enter a token).

The error I keep getting is ""User must first agree to terms and conditions online" when Quicken tries to connect - but I don't know anywhere on My529.org where these terms would be, and their customer support claims Quicken download isn't supported.

The notice on Quicken when you set up the account is "“Before using Quicken to access your UESP account information please agree to the corresponding terms in the UESP Web site online account access” - but again - there's not anywhere obvious on the UESP web site where you'd setup some kind of separate download/account access.

Every other account (USAA, Morgan Stanley, Fidelity) is working fine in Quicken (Mac, subscription)

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Jumbledore

Thanks for letting us know the issue you're experiencing as well. I believe in this case it would be best to contact Quicken Support via chat or phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps, if you feel comfortable doing so, to have the matter looked at and hopefully fixed promptly.  This will let us see what exactly is happening and what else we can try. I'll leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Quicken Phone Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Friday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

Quicken Chat Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Sunday

Answers

• Quicken Francisco

Hello @jcricket73

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I was checking to see if I could find any errors with my529 and some users were reporting issues about a week ago but were able to get it resolved. I'm wondering if the website might have something around like to allow third party applications to allow them to download transactions. This seems like the most likely case but support may not have been sure from the sounds of your call. I would double check under your profile settings to see if you can find something of this manner so we're able to try and getting your accounts connected. If you're wondering about the thread with users reporting issues as well I'll leave a link down below.

Once you get a chance to search around let us know if you're able to find anything. If not we'll see what else we can find.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7885988/error-with-my529-org-invalid-certificate
  • jcricket73
    jcricket73 Member ✭✭
    I found this (perhaps it's a 2FA issue): https://my529.org/two-factor-authentication-faq/

But the problem is I am registered for 2FA (and using it successfully to log in from direct web site access, or even mobile)
  • Quicken Francisco
    @jcricket73

Thanks for the update. I'm wondering if maybe we might try turning off 2fa then trying to connect in that brief period if we might have some success in this case actually. I would attempt it to see if we might see something different than what we've been getting. Once you've tried successful or not you can turn it back on.

Once you get the chance to try let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • I'm having the same problem. Enabling or disabling two-factor authentication didn't make a difference.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Answer ✓
    @Jumbledore

Thanks for letting us know the issue you're experiencing as well. I believe in this case it would be best to contact Quicken Support via chat or phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps, if you feel comfortable doing so, to have the matter looked at and hopefully fixed promptly.  This will let us see what exactly is happening and what else we can try. I'll leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Quicken Phone Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Friday

Quicken Chat Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Sunday

• jcricket73
    jcricket73 Member ✭✭
    If I search through the FIDIR.TXT file I see this URL: https://login.my529.org/OfxTerms.aspx which leads you to a "page not found" when you try and login - This is probably the issue, if I had to guess.
  • Sam.Clemens
    Sam.Clemens Member
    I am having this exact issue. I had it when using another software as well. My529 does not play well with other financial tools in general. I couldn't even add their account to my account list on Schwab. Eventually, it just worked. I didn't make any changes, though.

I emailed support, and they suggested contacting the software provider. I'll email them about the Quicken issue. Maybe they'll be more proactive if enough of us let them know.
  • Sam.Clemens
    Sam.Clemens Member
    I received this email from my529 support:

"Unfortunately, my529 is no longer offering support for Quicken."

They confirmed access is working for Banktivity, a new entrant on the market. (Still deciding if it's my tool of choice, so not necessarily endorsing. It's really well designed but has some of the feature gaps you would expect of a new tool.)

Not sure what is going on there, whether the issue is with my529 or Quicken. All the same, I need to keep up with my kid's college fund in a single portal with the rest of my investments, so I'll either be switching tools or accounts at some point.

Please post an update here if the situation changes. This is where people are landing when they search for solutions to this problem.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Sam.Clemens  You wrote: "Not sure what is going on there, whether the issue is with my529 or Quicken." But above that, you posted the answer: my529 told you that they are "no longer offering support for Quicken." Quicken will work with any financial institution who wants to; in this case, my529 has made a decision not to.

Why? You'd have to ask them, and you might not get an honest answer. Connectivity with Quicken -- which is done through Intuit's OFX service -- requires an annual fee. They may have looked at how many of their customers use Quicken versus the costs and decided it's not worth it. Supporting Quicken also requires their support people to deal with Quicken customers who call with problems. I'd guess one of those was a deciding factor in their decision to drop Quicken.

As for the other product you mentioned (the name of competing products often get removed by a moderator, so I won't restate it here), I'd just note it is not new. It has been around under this name for the past 5 years, and under another name since hitting the market 18 years ago. So those feature gaps you have noted are not because it's a new start-up product, and more likely because personal finance software that does all the different things different people want it to do is challenging and complicated. (I don't know how they handle connectivity, but it's a massive challenge to interface with thousands of financial institutions, and they're a tiny company of perhaps a dozen or so people.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.