Long time user with upgrade questions from Q2015

Options
Carl1968
Carl1968 Member ✭✭
I haven't updated the software since Quicken 2015. It's time. A few questions.
1) Looks like it's an annual subscription now - I suppose I can deal with this.
2) I've been living with a long data entry lag (hit enter and an entry doesn't complete for ~15 seconds). I know from research a few years back that this wasn't just a me thing (but maybe wasn't everybody)...has the product performance improved in this regard.
3) I'm a long time user - any performance issues with 64MB data file? And any issues updating from so far back as Quicken 2015?
Thanks so much for responding!
-Carl

Best Answer

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    OK, if you've not validated your file, it's high time. The file validation process checks and in most instances restores corrupted data files, which unfortunately, crops up from time to time. The first step is to make sure you have a good backup incase of any issues that the validation cannot resolve. Then File>File Operations>Validate.
    You will be presented with a log of any findings Quicken encountered and did or did not fix.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Have you validated your data file? This would be the first step in addressing data issues. Your data file is not large or even big by any standards, but the lag is symptomatic of data issues if your hardware meets minimum requirements. 

The new software will not address your latency issues and may even exacerbate them as there is more system overhead in the latest version and frequent complaints about slowness (by some users).
     If you are satisfied with manual entry, I would recommend addressing your data or hardware issues and stick with Q2015 which is more than capable. If you want to move to semi-automated account updates, then by all means upgrade, just don't expect that to resolve your current issue.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2021
    Options
    [EDIT: I removed my response, which was for Quicken Mac; the question has been moved to a Quicken Windows category, so my reply is not relevant.]
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On #2 was that lag in an investment account or a non investment account?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Carl1968
    Carl1968 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @GeoffG, thanks for the feedback. Can you elaborate on "Have you validated your data file?" I saw another suggestion to export the data and import into a new file. Is this what you had in mind or is there another way to "validate" the data? I'd be OK with export/import remaking graphs and budgets if it solved the data entry lag. Thanks.

@Chris_QPW, more lag with investment accounts, less (but still pronounced) with others.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    OK, if you've not validated your file, it's high time. The file validation process checks and in most instances restores corrupted data files, which unfortunately, crops up from time to time. The first step is to make sure you have a good backup incase of any issues that the validation cannot resolve. Then File>File Operations>Validate.
    You will be presented with a log of any findings Quicken encountered and did or did not fix.
This discussion has been closed.