Download from Alliant Credit Union not working

Options

Answers

• PeggySproul
    PeggySproul Member ✭✭
    Options
    They all show as Express Web Connect. I actually have 5 accounts at Alliant among 2 difference master accounts. Checking, savings, and a Visa. My primary accounts are in a trust, but you can't have a trust account at Alliant without having a regular account too. Sometimes one downloads okay, sometimes the other, and sometimes the Visa account acts independently. Many of my accounts at other institutions also no longer show in the Update Summary. I spent over an hour a few days ago with Quicken Tech Support and apparently the misbehaving Update Summary is a problem they are currently working on. None of the things the tech support guy had me try fixed the Alliant download quirks. I have not checked with Alliant, have you?
  • mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have not checked with Alliant. I also chatted with support, but did not resolve during chat.

It appears that all my financial institutions are now downloading correctly.

What seems to be the best way to determine when a download occurred was to check each account individually, after doing a download. I went to the download transaction section below the account register for each account and checked the last download date. See the attachment.

Then, for the accounts that did not have a current date for last download, I went to Online Services on the Account Details window and reset account. See the attachment.

I had three financial institutions where the download dates were not current (one was Alliant), with multiple accounts for each. After doing the reset account, the last download dates updated to the current date and where there were transactions available the transactions downloaded.

For the last week, I have been getting the transactions for all financial institutions to download. Cannot say for sure what I did fixed the problem, but for now I am not having download problems.
  • PeggySproul
    PeggySproul Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    According to the "Last Download Date" my Alliant Visa account updated today. But if I log on to Alliant, there are 3 charges which were posted on 11/15, 11/18, and 11/19. None of those have been downloaded by Quicken. So the "Last Download Date" does not appear to be accurate.
  • PeggySproul
    PeggySproul Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I tried to reset the Visa account but kept getting "Reset Failed" responses. I deactivated all 3 accounts and reactivated them. The 3 Visa charges then downloaded. I wonder if it will "stick" this time. I've done this before and don't want to do it daily.

I would still warn you that the "Last Download Date" may simply be the last date you tried to download, not that it actually worked!!
  • mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @PeggySproul, thanks for the feedback. I hope it "sticks."
  • Dale G
    Dale G Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    [Removed - Rant/Speculation]

Alliant OSU downloads have been trouble-some for me for at least six months. Instead of downloading several times per week, I now only download once at the end of the week. CC-503 greets me about every 1-2 weeks (every 1-2 OSU downloads). I've found three ways to correct it: 1) wait a day, 2) perform Gear Update Now, and most often 3) Reset Account. Only after does OSU works.

Aggravating. I'm about to give up and transfer my billions in monopoly money to my other credit union which rarely has troubles and fixes them quickly.
  • AnnieOne
    AnnieOne Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @mvwabc My Direct Connect institutions (3 of them) do show on the summary as well as all the EWC ones.  All my connections require a password and they're stored in the vault.

If you read my comment above yours, you'll understand what I'm about to say.  It's Sunday.  Grrrr.  
  • mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @AnnieOne, since I no longer get the 503 error, I cannot say if it occurred over weekends. However, if you are not seeing “Not required” in the password vault under the Password Stored column for EWC institutions and Direct Connect institutions are still showing on the summary, then it appears you have not switched over download methods for EWC institutions.

I believe that when I was switched over to the new method of download for EWC institutions that I stopped getting the 503 error for Alliant. At that time, the password showed as not required in the password vault and the One Step Update Summary no longer all accounts listed.

I am now hoping that Quicken fixes the One Step Update Summary so that it shows all the accounts.
  • mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @AnnieOne, it's Saturday. Grrrr. I got the CC-503 error. A data point supporting your observation that Alliant malfunctions appear more often Fri-Sun.

I sent the following message to Alliant on 11/23/2020 –
    “Is anyone at Alliant working to improve the Quicken support? I would appreciate someone providing information relative to the discussions taking place at the Quicken Community at the two links shown below:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882104/download-from-alliant-credit-union-not-working#latest
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879595/alliant-credit-union-cc-503-again-really#latest

Alliant’s reply –
    “Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with using Quicken with your Alliant Account. As Quicken is not an Alliant product, we do not have the technical support to assist our members with issues related to this service. Please contact Quicken support on how to use their product, Web connect issues, or if you are receiving any errors when using Quicken.
    Please know that you can download your transaction history in Online Banking but you will need to import that file into Quicken.
    I’m sorry that I couldn’t be of further assistance. Please let us know if you need help with anything else.”

No posts on this for a while. Are others still having problems with Alliant downloads?
  • PeggySproul
    PeggySproul Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm still having problems. Did you forward Alliant's reply to Quicken support?
  • mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @PeggySproul,

No, I did not forward to Quicken Support. I would think that one of the people with “Quicken” before their name would be monitoring. Also, other times I have found that Quicken and the financial institution just point fingers at the other party.

Does your experience with Alliant problems support the observation by @AnnieOne that ”Alliant malfunctions appear more often Fri-Sun”?
  • PeggySproul
    PeggySproul Member ✭✭
    Options
    I haven't really paid any attention to which days of the week are more problematic. I don't usually get a 503 error. Usually it just either tells me that my logon information is incorrect, or it looks like it updated but when I check the web site there are credit card charges ready to be downloaded.

Today (Saturday) it worked okay!
  • SeattleSummer76
    SeattleSummer76 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been struggling to get Quicken for Max to connect (and connect on subsequent updates) to Alliant Credit Union for over a year. As the OP is also experiencing, I could connect with the correct credentials, and then several days later trying to update would result in "INVALID_CREDENTIALS" error, although the credentials were 100% correct.

After several hours with different levels of support, we tried removing the Alliant entries in OS X's Keychain Access. I'm happy to report that multiple days later I've not (yet) had any issues connecting subsequently to Alliant Credit Union. There's probably some order that it has to happen in, but right now I can connect just fine and there are no Keychain Access entries for Alliant Credit Union.

PC users might need to remove credentials from the Windows equivalent of Keychain Access, but the 503 error is the same as the INVALID_CREDENTIALS error on a Mac according to the support staff.
  • SeattleSummer76
    Options
    Update from the above: it didn't work. After a few days more of having deleted the Alliant Credit Union entries from OS X's Keychain Access, the same "INVALID_CREDENTIALS" error is coming up.

After spending hours on this and working with Quicken support, I'm convinced this is a Quicken bug and needs to be fixed by development.
  • mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I am continuing to get the 503 error. If I wait and try again (sometimes multiple times with hours between), it always seems to finally work. I have stopped dis-connecting and reconnecting, resetting the account, and hitting the fix button. I just wait until it decides to work. Are others finding the same thing?

I have noticed that the error seems to occur when there are no transactions to download. As an example, this morning I got the 503 when doing the OSU. I then did a transfer between accounts. After I got the Alliant email telling that there had been a transfer, I ran an update and both accounts updated with no problems. Anyone notice this pattern?
  • Peggy S
    Peggy S Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have never seen any pattern. It doesn't work most of the time, even when I try multiple times. Every now and then it does work. Extremely annoying because I want to download my credit card transactions daily.
  • Dale G
    Dale G Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    A Quicken agent some time ago suggested I let the Alliant OSU problem continue for 4-5 days or more, then submit a Support Request with Quicken (which is completely separate from this Quicken community) and they will work with you to obtain your logs and hopefully correct the problem on their end for all of us. Is anyone willing to submit a Support Request with Quicken?
    Thank you!
    PS I am unable to logon to Quicken Support myself and will be contacting them by phone (shudder) just get my Support logon working again.
  • mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Dale G - Thank you for replying.  At least I know I am not alone.

Dale G – The problem I see does not continue for 4 or 5 days.  Just long enough to be really annoying, and then randomly the download works.  I appreciate your taking the initiate on this problem and contacting Quicken Support.  Please post the outcome.

• Dale G
    Dale G Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options
    To be clear, I am unable to submit Support requests. I am working that as a separate problem. That's why I asked if someone else could do so. The more the merrier.
  • SeattleSummer76
    Options
    I've spent about 5-6 hours with Quicken support over the past month over this Alliant Credit Union download issue, and after multiple escalations with their technical teams, they are now saying the following:

"...[Alliant Credit Union] requires a different credential for third parties, this was a change they did on their servers, so in this case it would be necessary to contact them so they can provide you special credentials for Quicken." - Maria Mar. 9, 2021

Essentially they are saying that it's an Alliant Credit Union problem and there's nothing they can do. It's a reasonable position given that this problem seemed to have started up out of the blue over a year ago and as we've all experienced, Quicken does inconsistently connect (usually starts out fine, then issue kicks in a few days later).

So I've contacted Alliant Credit Union, twice. In both cases they say:

"As Quicken is not an Alliant product, we do not have the technical support to assist our members with issues related to this service. Please contact Quicken support on how to use their product, Web connect issues, or if you are receiving any errors when using Quicken.

Please know that you can download your transaction history in Online Banking but you will need to import that file into Quicken." - Tony Pelayo Feb. 28, 2021 and Daisy Krueger Mar. 11, 2021

I've requested two escalations with Alliant, but I'm not getting out of basic customer support staff. My next attempt is to contact Alliant's Credit Union CTO to see if she can direct me to someone who can actually comment on the issue.

More to come!
  • Ken Alvarez
    Ken Alvarez Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I too have had nothing but issues with Alliant and downloads, Quicken has messed up something that use to work flawlessly, and this is progress?????

Works every other day and get all kinds of different errors in the logs
    Todays is

*******************Institution 1*************************************
    INSTITUTION_ID : 3215
    INSTITUTION_NAME : Alliant Credit Union
    TP_CUSTOMER_ID : XXXXXXXXXXXX
    -----------ACCOUNT 1------------------------
    TP_ACCOUNT_ID : xxxxx
    AGGR_STATUS_CODE : ccclient.203
    -----------ACCOUNT 2------------------------
    TP_ACCOUNT_ID : xxxxxx
    -----------ACCOUNT 3------------------------
    TP_ACCOUNT_ID : xxxxx
    -----------ACCOUNT 4------------------------
    TP_ACCOUNT_ID : xxxxxxx
    *********************************************************************************

[Edited-Privacy]
  • Dale G
    Dale G Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ken Alvarez,
    You should delete your post and remove your account numbers before reposting. Wouldn't want your bank hacked!
  • Roger Miller
    Roger Miller Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I've also been having problems intermittently with Alliant CU OSU. Today, OSU did not work at all. I decided to deactivate the 3 EWC accounts I have with Alliant. Now, when I try to activate, I can't connect, and the error message says it's a problem with Quicken's servers ?! I guess I'll try again tomorrow. But it's looking more and more like I may have to start using Web Connect for my Alliant accounts.
    QWin Premier user since 1997. QWin Premier subscription on Windows 10 & 11. I don't use mobile & web or bill pay.

• SeattleSummer76
    Options
    A response from Alliant Credit Union. Agreed that Alliant doesn't support Direct Connect but that's not what the issue is here. Note that Alliant also provides a file for download ("Web Connect") but that's also not the issue here. What's interesting is the mention of the four-hour window. I'll test further and let the community know what I find.

"...I have confirmed with our digital development team that we support Express Web Connect. We do not support DirectConnect. However, the system that aggregators use to access Alliant accounts goes offline daily for a variable period of time between 8:30am and 12:30pm Central time. We would suggest avoiding this particular 4-hour window, if at all possible, to ensure a successful data transfer.

I also passed along the information that Quicken directed you to ask us, regarding special credentials. It is not true that we require a different set of credentials for third parties, but they are looking into this further to see if they can determine what Quicken is referring to." -Melissa (Supervisor, Digital Care)
  • mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the information.  The time period you mention is the time when I experience the problem most of the time.  One would think Alliant would take it offline in the middle of the night.
    Rather than continue to chase a problem that Alliant told me they don't care about, I started looking for alternate places to do business.  I stumbled onto Lake Michigan Credit Union Premier Checking.  Pays better interest and so far no Quicken problems.

• Dale G
    Dale G Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    If you are looking for a great credit union, I always recommend Navy Federal Credit Union. They have the best interest rates for deposits and CDs. They are also one of very few national credit union. Military and family members are welcome. OSU problems are rare and usually self-correcting within 1-2 days. You can tell them I'm your brother, as they do not confirm it.
  • SeattleSummer76
    Options
    Wow! Just got a response back from my BBB complaint about this issue (filed after getting the same response from their customer service team twice in a row). It does admit that Alliant Credit Union is taking steps to negatively impact the Quicken and Express Web Connect experience. See below:

"Personal Finance Management (PFM) tools such as Quicken and Plaid were recently overly aggressively accessing our Online Banking system causing slowness for all members. In order to ensure members could access Online Banking, we intentionally manage the access of these PFM tools for the benefit of all members. Access for PFM tools was never fully blocked, but it sometimes required our members to manually refresh the data in their PFM tool. This temporary change allowed us to ensure a good experience for members using Online Banking while we have been working with Plaid, Quicken, and other PFM tools to mitigate the negative impact they were having on Alliant’s systems. This past week we began the process to remove some of the restrictions for these tools, and we will continue to monitor the issue and prioritize our members’ access to Online Banking. We understand the value of PFM tools and look to improve access while maintaining a great experience for all members who are accessing our Online Banking."

Not sure what to make of this, but I think we've caught them in the act of deliberately impending Quicken access. Now that we've caught on they have "began the process to remove some of the restrictions."

I'll test more including outside of the four hour window we learned about and would invite others to do the same and post results here.
  • mvwabc
    mvwabc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the smart work you are doing to try to straighten Alliant out.

When I first started with Alliant they were paying 4% on both the share and checking accounts and Quicken always seemed to work.  Now they are not that competitive on interest rates and it appears are basically sabotaging the Quicken users. 

This discussion has been closed.