Taking over my father's checking account.

daneg007
daneg007 Member ✭✭
How do you set up a completely separate checking account. I don't want totals of his and mine mingled. What are my options?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @daneg007

Yes, when you start Quicken it will always default to opening the last Quicken data file that was used. So, when you want to work on the other file, you simply go to: "File" > "Open Quicken File..." > and select the other data file from the List that appears.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You simply do Tools > Add Account and establish a new checking Account.
    Even better from the standpoint of keeping things straight, create a new Quicken file and put that checking Account in the separate file.
  • daneg007
    daneg007 Member ✭✭
    Thanks...l would rather have them totally independent..i.e. 2 sperate files. Do you get an option to select the file to use at some point. always had a single file so this is new to me. Sorry if I'm kinda ignorant on this subject.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @daneg007

Yes, when you start Quicken it will always default to opening the last Quicken data file that was used. So, when you want to work on the other file, you simply go to: "File" > "Open Quicken File..." > and select the other data file from the List that appears.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• daneg007
    daneg007 Member ✭✭
    What's the process to start a totally independent file vs adding another checking account and having those totals mingled with my account.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @daneg007  To create a new file, you literally just go to File > New. You can define the new checking account there, either connected for download or for manually entry. To slightly ever-so-slight modify what Frankx wrote above (which was for a Windows user), to switch files, you'd go to File > Open Recent and select the name of the other file. Alternatively, if you're opening Quicken from your Dock, if you Control-click on the Quickness's icon in the Dock, you can select which file to open from a pop-up menu that appears above the icon.

The other option is to create a separate account in your existing Quicken file. You can mark this account as "Separate," which means it won't show up in your Net Worth totals, but will still be accessible at the bottom of your left sidebar of accounts.

There's no right or wrong answer about which way to go; it depends on your usage. might there be other accounts for your father (credit card? loans? investment/retirement accounts) you will want to manage in the future? If yes, a separate file seems the better approach. If not, and it's just a simple, single checking account, either a separate file or a separate account could work.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • daneg007
    daneg007 Member ✭✭
    Thanks..good info about the doc'd icon. Figured there is always more than one way to do something but having never done it before I surly don't want to loose all my info(it is backed up). He does have credit cards, annuities, checking do that's why I kinda figured a totally independent file would be the best plan.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yup, I agree; with multiple accounts as you describe, a separate file is probably the way to go.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.