Split transactions with Multiple rows to the same account no longer works

I use split transactions for my mortgage payment.
Principle transfers to my mortgage account
Interest goes to my interest category
Two rows that transfer to my Escrow Account one for Insurance and one for Property Tax

Only the first row in the split transaction dialog to the Escrow Account shows up in the Escrow account.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @MMasson,

Can you tell me where the other escrow line item "shows up" - in other words which category does it post to?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• MMasson
    MMasson Member
    See the screen shot, it does not post anywhere, previously I would get one rolled up entry in the Escrow account
  • MMasson
    MMasson Member
    You'll notice the brackets are missing [Mortgage Escrow] vs Mortgage Escrow. If you select the account from the drop down or type in with the brackets, Quicken removes the brackets as soon as you move off that cell
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather than trying to select the account from a list, just type it in with the [] around the account's name.
    I believe that Quicken is going to combine those two lines to the escrow account once you get the second line's category fixed to have the [] around the accounts name. 
    You might want to create a second escrow account (one for insurance and one from property taxes) so that the two split lines are not combined in the destination account.
    Another option is to add a Tag (different) to each line to force them to be different.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• MMasson
    MMasson Member
    I had typed it with the brackets however quicken removes them when I move off the cell. I also added Tags to see if that would work but it did not.

I know that I only get one entry in the Escrow account, so I could just combine them into one entry and keep a note in the Memo with the amounts. I rarely look at reports with the details, but it was nice that they showed up separate entries in them. I was just wondering why this stopped working this month.

The issue started with version R31.20

I'm currently on version R32.10 Build 27.1.32.10.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just tested this with R32.10 and it works for me.  Without tags the destination account only gets a combined transaction, if I add Tags there are two separate transactions in the destination account.
    Sounds like your installation is corrupted and you need to un-install and re-install Quicken.  Follow the insturctions in QCleanUI for the un-install: QCleanUI - Clean Uninstall
    As always, make a Quicken Backup of your data file before doing anything.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MMasson,

Yes, I see that the splits are combined automatically, however if you use tags that will result in two postings (or more) to the category - i.e. one total for each individual tag.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Demonstrating the previously raised suggestions.

And

The 1st graphic is from the mtg payment in my checking account. The 2nd is from the Escrow account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• MMasson
    MMasson Member
    I did the re-install as suggested by splasher , that did not correct the issue. However while testing I discovered the issue is not with Split transfer transactions. It's only this Mortgage Escrow account that I can no longer transfer to regardless of split transactions or not.

Any Idea on how to fix this account that no longer allows transfers to it?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MMasson 's screen shot should not be possible. It appears to show an account and a category with the same name, which Quicken does not allow.
    First, I'd look for a category named Mortgage Escrow in the Category List. If it appears, that's a big red flag. Rather than following the initial impulse to delete the category, I'd try the Copy/Validate procedure under "Fourth" on the troubleshooting page. Even if such a category does not appear in the list, the troubleshooting procedure might help.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Rocket J Squirrel's suggestion doe not solve the issue, you could create a new Escrow account and then move the transactions from the original to the new account.
    See this FAQ: FAQ - Moving Transactions

• MMasson
    MMasson Member
    Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. The "Copy/Validate procedure" did not resolve the issue. I took splasher's suggestion and created a new Escrow account. Since I was going to add a tag to each of my previous entries, I updated each of the mortgage payments in my checking registry changing each to the new escrow account and adding the new tags I created. All appears good now :)
    Thanks Again
  • MMasson
    MMasson Member
    I spoke too soon, now my Loan reminder is messed up. The reminder appears correct when I look at it in an edit dialog, however on my projected balances it is only subtracting the escrow amount on future payments (payments not already in the checking register). So P&I are not being deducted in those future payments throwing off my projects balance. If I enter the future payment into the register, then next payments P&I calculates correctly.
    -- I did a copy and Validate as suggested earlier
    -- then on the copy I delete the reminder and recreate it in my loan account edit monthly payment that does not fix it
    -- then I edited the reminder through the load account edit payment, that does not fix it

If I enter the future payment into the register, then next payments P&I calculates correctly. But it has to be in my register for my projects balances to show correctly. Any ideas?
  • pls'
    pls' Member ✭✭
    FWIW, I had the same problem with transfer transactions without splits on payments to one of my credit card accounts. I enter a payment in my checking account with the category being the credit card account name in brackets. As soon as I move out of the category field, the brackets vanish.

I've called tech support about it, but have gotten nothing useful back.
This discussion has been closed.