negative balance in investment account when splitting to have a linked checking account

questionsforever
questionsforever Member ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2021 in Investing (Windows)
I checked the box to split an investment account with a 'linked checking account' for cash transactions and now the investment account has a negative balance (although it should be zero as the cash is in the linked checking account). How do I get that negative balance to match up with the balance in the linked checking account?
Tagged:

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checking that box should have removed ALL cash transactions from your investment account and move them to the "Linked Checking Account".
    There should be nothing but securities left in your investment account.
    Had you, perchance, recorded some of your cash transactions as appearing in a Money Market Fund?  Because those "investment cash" transactions won't get moved.
    Also, have you gone to the Portfolio (INVESTING, Portfolio) and seen if the value of the securities displayed there are correct?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• questionsforever
    it's a bug. i solved it by archiving the register then doing the split.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I haven't used this feature in decades, but every time I test the conversion it is always terrible, and even worse if you try to convert back.  Long time users of this function aren't converting between the two modes and as such probably never even test if it works.

Example, before:

After:

From the cash account:

And then try converting it back:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's a bug. i solved it by archiving the register then doing the split.
    Can you please elaborate upon exactly what you did? Because I fail to understand how this could have resolved your stated problem.
    Do you mean that you archived older transactions (including, possibly, problematic transactions) ... and then created a Linked Checking Account (which isn't, in Q Terminology, a "split").

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• questionsforever
    yes. I archived the investment register using the little icon upper right of the register. after that when I did the split to a linked checking account the balance in the investment account showed 0 Instead of a negative number (the linked checking account showed correct balance also)